Tattoo Removal; Got my Confidence Back! - Jacksonville, FL

Let me begin by saying I love tattoos, GOOD...

Let me begin by saying I love tattoos, GOOD tattoos can make you feel sexy and confident. But bad tattoos can do the exact opposite...
My name is Sarah and I live in Florida. At 16 I had gotten a amateur tattoo in someone's home which was poorly done, the outline was too thick and uneven the tattoo was not symmetrical, and the lines were very rough. I had gotten it on the back of my left shoulder. It didn't really bother me but as some time passed I decided I wanted to cover the tattoo and make it something better. Please, take this advice, if you are looking to get a cover up tattoo go to an artist who specializes in coverups. NOT ALL TATTOO ARTISTS CAN DO COVERUPS!! My artist told me he was going to cover up my amateur tattoo (flowers) by covering it up with smoke and incorporating it into my back piece. Well, I left the tattoo shop with a giant black blob where my tattoo used to be. Needless to say I never went back to James R. or the tattoo parlor he worked in.
This 'coverup' caused me so much emotional pain and suffering. Living in Florida I could not go to the beach, pool, I was so embarrassed of what was on my upper back I wore t shirts and long sleeve shirts all the time. I couldn't wear any tank tops, dresses or tube tops. When I did I felt like everyone would stare at the disgusting tattoo I had on my back. I even missed going to my senior prom because of how ugly I felt. It was the most depressing time of my life, and I couldn't bear to think that I had to live out all of my life like that, so I began researching laser removal.
Typically black ink is easiest to remove, the older the tattoo the better, 4-6 weeks apart between treatments and usually 10-20 treatments are needed to remove a tattoo or at least fade a tattoo considerably. Because my tattoo was only 2 months old and was black ink packed ontop of colored ink I knew I was in for a long journey. Also, I have naturally tan skin, which makes it harder for the laser to differentiate between the ink and my skin. Another word of advice, when shopping for a tattoo removal place ALWAYS do a test spot and RESEARCH the facility. I did a test spot at one location and found out that they were using hair removal lasers and the area they used the laser literally turned the texture of my skin to that of hamburger meat. Yes. Hamburger meat. I'm just glad I didn't do a full treatment. Anyways, I first did sessions at Laser Skin Solutions (very clean and nice facility) the sessions they offered were very expensive, I know large tattoos are more expensive to remove but they charged me 500$ per session. I went for 5 sessions spent 2,500$ and my tattoo did not fade AT ALL. They used top of the line lasers but for whatever reason my results were very poor and the doctor seemed to have too many patients because she never remembered what parts of my tattoo I wanted off. I wouldn't recommend the facility to anyone. I later found Beaches Facial Plastic Surgery where a woman named Jackie worked doing laser removal. She offered sessions for 200$ and showed me lots of pictures of tattoos she had worked on. Albeit a VERY slow process, after about 7 or 8 sessions my tattoo went from pitch black to a grey color. Now I knew going into laser removal it would be almost impossible to fully remove my tattoo, which was okay because I just wanted it covered. After a year of laser sessions I set up a cover up session in orlando with Hart and Huntington with Jeremie LaFrance, and within 2 sessions my ugly black blob was transformed into the beautiful flowers they should've been all along.
After everything I spent 4,100$ on tattoo removal treatments and 1,000$ for my new cover up. But you can't put a price on being comfortable in your own skin! The laser sessions themselves are extremely painful, very costly, and it takes a while to see improvement, but patience and good spirit will take you a long way. I hope this review helps people out there that had to or are going through a journey like mine.
Jackie

Jackie is awesome!! Go see her you won't regret it; Beaches Facial Plastic Surgery

Just a question, now that you are all healed do you see the old tattoo underneath at all?
Yeah there's defiantly traces of my old tattoo underneath, part of the reason is my original tattoo was an amateur tattoo, it was really raised because the person didn't know what he was doing. It's a pretty solid piece, but I do plan to get it touched up again when I color the rest of my back.

WOW, thank you so much for posting your review, it must have slipped right by me and I only saw it now :( I am in the same boat as you and trust me your story is very inspirational not only for me but for many others out there that are not happy with their tattoos. Your cover up is beautiful! I am so thrilled for you!!!

Honestly, the tattoo was pretty dark if you look at my pictures you can see the coverup in progress my tattoo was a light gray color. If you're insure just go to your tattoo artist and get his/her opinion on it.
wow. gives me hope. thanks for posting this!
hi, sorry again for all the questions. but judging by your photos your pre cover up fading looks about as dark as my arm is now. my laser guy, who I trust and who works closely with artists, swears that im good for a coverup of something heavy, but maybe I just don't see it. ive had 5 treatments over exactly a year period. did you feel this way at the end of your treatment? that it was still dark, and how they hell do they put anything over it? im not a tattoo artist, but it just seems that they must be working magic or something to make this possible. btw, I know I need to go talk to an artist. just wondering from your experience, thanks..
My experience was different, my laser lady Ms Jackie didn't know when it was best to cover it. Our plan was to get it as light as possible until a (reputable) tattoo artist says it's good to go. I felt that my tattoo was still too dark to coverup I went to the tattoo parlor expecting bad news. But I was really surprised with what Jeremie was able to do. I guess it just depends on what your tattoo artist is comfortable with. For my tattoo the color is really dense because there was so much black so we had to go over the tattoo twice. It was so worth it even though it hurt like hell. At the end of the day a tattoo artist will really know what's best. Good luck!
thanks! sounds a lot like what im up against. just wanted to know how you were thinking before you went into the shop, cause I feel the same (expecting bad news). still waiting for the 2nd half of my last session to heal up, then im headed in. thanks again.
Yeah I was pretty nervous! What made it worst was the tattoo artist was so nonchalant about the whole thing n here I am like dude I've been waiting a whole year for this moment. Lol and no problem! Do you have any pictures of your progress?
haha that's actually really good news, tho.. when my arm heals In the next few days I can show you pictures. ive put off talking to an artist just because up until now I felt like all id be doing was going into a shop and being like "yo hey dudes check these shitty tattoos im getting lasered off, ill be back for a coverup later", plus im going to another city. but youre such a huge inspiration, I hope youre happy with the cover up and continue to be forever.
Awesome I'll be looking forward to seeing them! Lol yeah I went down to Orlando for my coverup I didn't trust anyone in town. Whoever you go to just make sure they've done plenty of coverups before. Aww thanks so much after going what I went through I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, I hope everyone's tattoo journeys end in happiness :)
so, I went ahead and did a review http://www.realself.com/review/dallas-tx-tattoo-removal-blast-heavy-sleeve-for-cover i think what im going to do is wait a few months to take full advantage of the fading, then hopefully ill be set for a coverup.
wow.. awesome coverup job! congrats. how light was the black before you went over it?
wow, because it still seems pretty dark and they were able to cover it with heavy stuff. im in a similar boat, and plan heavy Japanese work to cover up. 5 treatments, have no clue how light it has to be.
Wow! What a difference, looks beautiful. I agree that no matter what the price, being comfortable in your own skin is what's important.
Your coverup is gorgeous! I can only hope the same for myself
looks amazing. i love the colours, flowers, and the woman's face.