Cellulaze on 6/15--Waiting Patiently to See Full Results! - Irving, TX

Hi everyone! I had the Cellulaze procedure on 6/15...

Hi everyone! I had the Cellulaze procedure on 6/15. My doctor had instructed me to take magnesium, arnica and vitamin K one week prior to the procedure and afterwards. It was explained to me that there would be significant bruising and swelling after the procedure which would last a couple weeks.  Despite this explanation, I was horrified by the look of the bruises and uncomfortable due to swelling beginning a couple days after the procedure.  I was complaining at work (a rehabilitation clinic)  about it to a physical therapist friend of mine and she offered to use Kinesio tape on my bruises and swore up and down that the bruises an swelling would disappear faster this way. I had it applied on 6/21 (6 days after procedure) and took it off on 6/25.  It took about 20 minutes for her to apply the adhesive tape in strips to the bruised areas and then I was able to put my compression garment over the tape. The tape is designed to last for 4-5 days through showers and baths. 4 days afterward, the bruising was practically gone except for a couple spots on my buttocks. I want to shout about this from the rooftops!!!!!  Of course, your physician should give his ok before this is done just in case :). I would imagine that any physical therapy or chiropractic clinic would tape anyone who is interested (probably not covered by insurance)

Check out the pictures (apologies for no undies in...

Check out the pictures (apologies for no undies in last one)! Almost no bruising left 11 days after procedure. I am not normally a fast healer.

I am now 18 days out and continuing to see...

I am now 18 days out and continuing to see improvements in the appearance of the treated areas as well as the disappearance of bruises. Since I still had a couple, small dark bruises, I asked to be 're taped' with Kinesio Tape today--just on those particular areas(pictures added). So, hopefully, those bruises will be completely gone by the weekend! On the downside, I still have some skin numbness and muscle (?) soreness on the backs of my thighs. I am still reserving judgement on if the procedure was 'Worth It' or not because I know that peak results will not be seen for a couple months.

Was it worth it? Do you recommend it? I am considering this treatment
you look great,do you had upgraded some more pictures?
Wow! I think your pictures look great. Fantastic on the healing. How are you doing now?
results nice... thanks for add..
Hey.....hope all is well...please update us thanx
WOW you look great. I hope to keep getting better myself. I have seen improvements but want more.

Thanks for posting pictures of the tape. That is completely different than what I had envisioned it looking like, so I appreciate you showing us. I'll be interested to hear if the little bruises are gone soon - hopefully! :)

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Excellent! Thank you so much for the info! I will speak with my PS about it on Thursday. I dont mind the out of pocket as long as its reasonable. Thanks again. Keep posting!
Wow your pics look amazing! I am 7 days post op with bruising, numbness and soreness. More today than last week. I had a lymphatic massaage and feel a little better. I am interested in tape. Where would i have to go to even have someone do that?
Do u have a before pic? I really want this done! Was wondering if Dr. Powell is a good dr?
I called his office and will pick up the before picture after the holiday weekend to post. Dr. Powell and his staff are excellent!
Backs of thighs, saddlebag area and buttocks.
What areas did u get done?
Dr. Charles Powell in Irving, TX
What dr did u use?
Maybe your Cellulaze doctor would be ok with you going for Kinesio Tape even at this point. I don't think its ever "too late" if you are still bruised. As far as seeing a big difference...I can't really tell at this point. My thighs look a little smoother but when I clench my buttocks I still see the hail damage :) I will probably reserve final judgement for a couple months longer.
Omg that is AMAZING!!! Wish I had heard about that a month ago - I would have run to a rehabilitation clinic!! I still have some deep bruising and I'm 5 weeks out as of today! Your after pictures look great, btw. Do you see a big difference from how you looked before surgery?
Megan,

I have found that none of the cosmetic specialty physicians have heard of Kinesio Taping.  This is primarily because the method is used in rehabilitation and sports medicine clinics to address muscle, joint, soft tissue and lymphatic issues. However, it was in these settings that the benefits were first seen for bruising after injury or surgery.

As it is applied, the tape is stretched a bit so that when it sticks, it recoils to gently lift the skin from layers of muscles and fascia below creating a wider interstitial space. As the person moves their body in everyday activity, the tape stays put creating a ever present massage of sorts.  This allows lymph drainage and takes pressure off the nerves to allow swelling/edema and trapped blood to drain freely.

It is important to mention that only a certified/trained therapist should apply the tape. There is a specific method used to fan the tape out so that the fluid drains towards the lymph nodes.

One drawback that I can foresee a physician mentioning is that a patient may not be able to feel for seromas through the thin layer of Kinesio Tape.
I look forward to seeing what the Real Self physician community has to say :)

Wow, that is really interesting. I'm not familiar with the tape. Do you happen to know what it is suppose to be doing to help with the bruising??

Since I'm not familiar with it, and I assume many other community members are not as well, I'm going to post a question in our Q&A section about it so we can hear what thoughts the board certified doctors have on it. It usually takes about 24-48 hours for the doctors to start posting.

Is It Ok to Use Kinesio Tape After Cellulaze?

Please keep us posted on how you are doing. I will be very interested to hear if your results differ from what other community members who didn't use the Kinesio tape see.