Retainer Will Cost You $1,200/Year

So I went through 18 months wearing invisalign...

So I went through 18 months wearing invisalign trays and the treatment worked very well to straighten my teeth. But I was very disappointed to learn from the dentist that I would need to replace the retainer trays about every four months at a whopping cost of $400 per tray. I felt like ringing his neck. He should have informed me of this cost when I asked him to outline the costs for me before I signed on to have it done. There is no way I would have gotten invisalign done if I knew it was going to cost me $1,200 per year for the rest of my life. I may report the dentist to the health department.

The Dentist is skillful, but apparently provides misleading information. I would have never gotten Invisalign if I knew it the retainers would cost me $1,200 per year for life.

My dentist didn't tell me what the retainers would cost, just that I would need them.
I just came from orthodontist office. 1 set us 200.00, 4 sets is 450.00
I'm curious as to why he told you this.. my dentist told me my retainer would last awhile. I've been wearing mine for 6 months now and it does not need to be replaced at all. The retainer is a harder plastic than the invisalign trays so it doesn't break down.. I would talk to another dentist or like Kel said, ask about the permanent retainer option.
I agree that your dentist should have been upfront about the cost of the retainer. I would ask him what your other options are or else go to an ortho and get a retainer made. I plan on getting a permanent retainer for my teeth when I'm done with treatment. I'm sure a dentist can at least offer that (it's just a wire cemented to the back of the teeth).
He did mention a permanent retainer, but advised against it because it's hard to clean. He actually wore one himself. I got the impression from him that it was kind of a nuisance, and food would get caught in it, but he did not say that explicitly. Not trying to turn you off to the idea, but there might be something to it.
Yes, if you opt for the invisalign retainer. There are other retainer options including permanent retainers. Maybe you should have gone to an ortho that could make you a retainer, not a dentist.
True, I could have opted to go to an orthodontist, but the dentist told me that it would cost a few hundred dollars for a retainer at the end of the treatment, which turned out to be misleading. This is the type of tactic I expect from a used car salesman, not a dentist, given that I asked him specifically to outline the costs. I am wondering if others had the same experience.