Results Did Not Last for 40s Fair Skinned Patient

Mild freckling runs on my mom's side of the...

Mild freckling runs on my mom's side of the family, and in my teens, I laid out in the sun. In addition, I later took the pill for a number of years. All these factors contributed to melasma and uneven pigmentation, especially along the cheeks and sides of the face.

I underwent a series of IPL treatments at a spa. After first 3 treatments, it looked pretty good. There was a definite improvement, skin just appeared "cleaner" and brighter overall.

However, the results were extremely short-lived. Even though I wear a heavy-duty sunscreen daily and limit my time outdoors as much as I can (except for dog-walking), the pigmentation was back within 2 or 3 months. Further, the IPL did not remove any of the biggest spots.

Considering the money it cost and number of treatments required, I found it to be a poor investment.

My advice for those with stubborn spots is to get spot-laser treatment from a real dermatologist. I've done that before and with just one treatment, those spots were gone. (sure, new ones can form nearby but that's to be expected) Further, the spot treatment is much less expensive, usually just 200 - 300 depending on time required.

I find it extremely frustrating that it's almost impossible to get objective information on any cosmetic procedures. This allows spurious treatments and shoddy practitioners to flourish for years before the consumer 'catches on.'

IMO, the medical profession should be subjected to a Consumer Reports-type review, just like other products and services. Otherwise, all you get are anecdotal stories (mine included!) or hype from the doctor's website or (less objective still) the manufacturer of the treatment itself.

This site is a step in the right direction, but we really need a nationwide database that compiles results, and has a peer review process. Most people would be willing to pay $10 to join such a site, especially if it could save them thousands or prevent bad aesthetic outcomes.

Dermspa Laser

They are no worse than many such spas, I'm not down on the provider per se. I just wouldn't recommend many cosmetic centers as I think they overcharge and under-deliver.