Second Day and Disappointed

I got my first set of aligners yesterday. First of...

I got my first set of aligners yesterday. First of all, they didn't tell me about the "buttons", you know, the white rice looking thing that is on the front of your teeth. Feels weird and looks like food. Second of all, I am disgusted and cringe when I think of taking them off. It hurts like hell, and is impossible unless I wear gloves. When I was in the dentist's office, I tried taking the top aligners off with my manicured nails and it only lead to chipped nail polish and bleeding gums. I became very frustrated. Had I known it was going to be such an inconvenience, I would have seriously reconsidered this process. Mabeye in a few weeks I'll be telling a different story.

I have 12 buttons (6 on top and 6 on bottom). I started only a week ago. To the OP, after about 4 days, the trays get easier to remove. Those first few days, I used dental floss to work my trays out. Starting in the back, I would hook the dental floss under the tray and above my teeth and work it all the way around my mouth which alleviated pain, saved my manicured nails and kept the trays from bending out of their original shape. That's my best advice to you or anyone else having troubles removing their trays.
This is not the only review I have read that says they were not aware they would be needing buttons. I think this fault lies with the dentist!! I can't believe they would leave out ANY information. The dentist I am seeing for my treatment (on tray 1) gave me a very thorough and informative consultation - and that's before I even committed to anything! I am sorry for everyone's bad experiences with Invisalign but I think 90% of the problems are coming from dentists who aren't taking the time to inform their patients.
You really need to give it more than a day before you make comments like that because it will take some time to adjust. The first couple days are more difficult because you have these foreign things in your mouth. I know my first day, my tongue was getting really irritated by rubbing up against the plastic, but then in no time I would forget they are there. My buttons made it a little difficult to eat at first, but in no time I forgot they were there. Invisalign isn't without some inconveniences. I mean, come on, they are moving your teeth. It isn't magic. But you really do get used to them and it really turns out to be quite doable for most people.
Ok.. just to clarify for anyone who reads this review and gets really scared.. not everyone has to have these "buttons" but it's a good idea to ask your orthodontist about them. I have a very complicated case (36 trays) and my orthodonist isn't using any of the attachments at all. Also, Invisalign does make your mouth feel a little sore the first day or two when you have a new aligner - it has to, it's moving your teeth! You wear each tray for 2 weeks and get a new one - the new one is kind of like when people have wire braces and get them tightened at the dentist, makes your mouth hurt a little bit, but it does get better in a day or two. Don't give up!
I'm a bit surprised that you are already making an opinion about whether this is worth it or not on your 2nd day. I'm on tray 13 now, and have 5 "buttons" They don't bother me in the least. Though it was a bit difficult to get used to taking them out and putting them back, I quickly developed a routine, and all this time later, it's a snap. (Get it, a snap?LOL). Anyway, I see a huge improvement in my teeth already. I am half way through my treatment, and don't regret it a bit. Good luck and stick with it. You'll ge the hang of it soon. Carla
I was not told about the buttons either. I have three total. I have one on the front middle of my bottom teeth. It looks weird but given the choice of a tooth colored button or a mouth full of metal....its not a hard choice. I am on tray 15 of 19 for my bottoms. I was originally scheduled for 8 trays for the top but one tooth was still not where I wanted it so I asked my dentist what could be done. I was given three more trays that were called refinements. The first few days with each new tray are uncomfortable but from what I am told each time metal braces are tighten they are painful. I always put the new tray/s in at night before bed and I take a couple of aleve. My top teeth are in good shape and my bottom teeth are almost straight. I have not had any bite issues. I would recommend invisalign.
I'm looking into invisalign, I'm 20 and had braces when I was younger that didnt work out. My teeth are very crowded in my mouth and unfortunately I have an underbite (not horrible though), anyways I'm just looking for some more information and reviews, anyone with some advice or anything, it would all be appreciated=]
you got to be kidding me..... are you more concerned about your manicure nails or your teeth? I got 4 "buttons" or attachments as they are called. I wasn't informed about them either but to me they are not a big deal. Hopefully after 10 trays bottom and 15 at the top I will be happy. .I am on tray 6. The first 2 days are always a little discomforting. so whenever I have to change a tray I change at nights. How many buttons do you have?