Invisalign: Exactly the Results I Hoped for

I had braces in my early teens to correct crowding...

I had braces in my early teens to correct crowding and overlapping teeth and a whopper of an overbite. But over the next 40 years my teeth drifted and, in my early 50s, I found myself again with increasingly shifting, crooked and overlapping teeth--top and bottom. The prospect of turning into a snaggle-toothed old lady was really annoying me. At age 52, after doing a lot of reading and after consulting with my family dentist, I decided that the Invisalign process was the right one for me. And I was 100% correct. My process took 18 months, with 36 sets of aligners, top and bottom. I experienced some soft-tissue discomfort during the first two sets; but my mouth soon toughened up and the discomfort never recurred. I was extremely conscientious about putting the aligners back in immediately after I finished eating. And they really were undetectable from a normal social distance (though sometimes, even my husband and my mother couldn't tell I had them in). The movement of my teeth was very gradual; so if you don't see immediate movement, just be patient. If your enthusiasm flags a little during the process, ask your orthodontist to show you the end-stage aligners. That's what I did and boy, did that ever boost my morale. Now, more than two years after I finished my treatment, I wear a retainer to bed every night--and I mean every night--and I simply couldn't be happier with my pretty smile. Not long ago, someone referred to me as the woman with the beautiful teeth. What more can I say? Worth every, single penny.

Normand Boucher, DDS Wayne, PA