Clear Aligners Worth It

Had traditional metal braces when I was younger,...

Had traditional metal braces when I was younger, and was not given a 'life retainer.' As a result, my upper teeth had moved marginally (most people say my teeth aren't that bad). The front two teeth are quite large and protuded slightly. For a long time I wanted to get them straightened out, however I didn't want to go back to metal braces, and I didn't know there were alternatives, until I moved dentist to have a wisdom tooth out!

Now I haven't had 'invisalign' I have had an alternative (cheaper version)-clear aligners. Basically they are exactly the same,, expcept you wear them for 1 week. After the 3rd set which you wear for 2 weeks, the dentist then takes a further impression of your teeth, ready for your next 3 trays. The trays are ready within a week-it is all very quick.

So, I have had my aligners for a month and have noticed big differences. I have been back to the dentist today,and was really shocked at how much they have moved in 4 weeks! I am now on the 2nd set, so tray 4 onwards. The dentist said I might be done after this (initially he predicted 3 months) but he said it will be up to me, and how far I want to go, but reminded me to not get carried away about seeking perfection...must say I'm really happy already.

If I do decide to go for more, it will cost another £300... also got whitening gel with this, which I'm going to start using soon.

The dentist, also, mentioned today that I could have the front two teeth filed down (as they are quite long and wide) which I think will dramtically impact on the overall look... but he's told me to think about it!

Will let ervyone know how I get on..

I'm glad you posted this! Clear aligners, often called Essix, can work just as well as the name brand Invisalign. I think the important thing is choosing a dentist/orthodontist with a proven track record for success. And yes, from what I know the tray material is basically the same as for whitening trays. It sounds like your dentist is doing a great job of giving you the most treatment for the most economical cost.

It sounds like you have had a really good experience so far. Have you had much discomfort from the tooth movement, or has it been ok?

Diana Dental Dr Bullock

excellent... also took my wisdom tooth out which previous dentists had said would be impossible and would need admitting into hospital...