I'm Back... over 6 Months Later Update - Kennewick, WA

I had not a real abdominalplasty but they fixed...

I had not a real abdominalplasty but they fixed the mons and had to take out my belly button. So they used smartlipo on me, to make more skin by burning out some fat..

Con's -- I was awake, it was done in a Doctors office, only oral meds besides the local, half way thru my 6 hour ordeal I was in a blaze of pain.

Con.. when it did not turn out right they blamed the healing etc on me...because past abdomenal surgery.. I have never had anything like this in my life. I am or was a very young 50 year old. I hope this lets me put on here what I wrote on the other page... so everyone can read this and be very aware before you do something like this...

PLEASE.. it had literally ruined my life...I am now over six months after an abdominalplasty.. I can not wear any of my clothes.. I do not bend in the middle... can not tie my shoes or reach my feet to put my socks on...

I have kept in weekly contact with the Doctors who did my procedure as no other doctor in my area will take me for fear of being involved in a lawsuit. I am mad as hell now... this has cost me alot of pain and anguish period.. What is causing my surgical area to swell and crack open some of the incision line that is trying to heal? I am also getting red spots on left side... the side that hurts the worst like satellite lesions.. None deep only one that was there since surgery which neither surgeon know where it came from?

I need help will someone please help me... necrotic tissue smells awful and i have to smell it all the time... I am burned from the inside out, how does that heal? The outside is still cracking and peeling and bleeding 6 months after the procedure.. NO muscles were cut on me... They took out some love handles to make more skin so they could pull the top of my skin from the rib area down to compensate for having takin out a bellybutton that has bled and cracked off and on since the real abdominalplasty in 2005. They told me the only way to fix it was to just take out the bellybutton... Thus a new name.... ABdominalplasty! As I have told them.. Abdominalplasty they tighten your muscles etc... and I recovered from it very quickly... but this I am afraid is going to do me in...

I celebrated my 50th birthday alone at home because I have no control over my abdomen... I now call it my Leadbelly.. It is so heavy on me I look like I am carrying triplets, that my back hurts. I am so out of ideas..

Please someone... I know all of you that have taken the time to reply said to see another Surgeon. I have been to several as I said they see "Botch Job" as they told my sister and do not want a part of it.. Who ever helps me is my hero, why would I want to sue them...

My opinion... don't let Surgeons have a license to or certificate to use something they are not schooled in using...its maiming and could be killing people. Not to be morbid but Reality... I am a widow and live alone... will they find me dead in my bed???

I have written to several Plastic Surgeons who are outraged over the smartlipo burning going on...sent all my pictures... They don't write back.. BTW I can feel all the dead tissue deep inside of me its a very big belt around my midsection. After much hounding I got bloodwork done and found I was way down on my HBG... I had a transfusion 3 weeks ago..

I have 27 Rose Bushes and a half acre waiting for my care, I can't do it.. I ask again... Please someone help me.. my pictures labs, MRI and CScan I have copy of all...and discs. In closing from my long question.... last week they put me on Cipro 2 times a day 500 mg for 14 days and have put me on Lasix 40mg 2 times a day to see if they could get some fluid of me as it hurts to take a deep breath in, like a knife. Thank you for all who take the time to read it and answer it....

God Bless you... Sunkissedcutie

Hello to everyone.. I am sorry for not...

Hello to everyone..

I am sorry for not keeping everyone up to date with what is going on with me.. I guess the best way to put it is.. I still am alive and breathing but with a hideous scar and the very front of my abdomen is open. It bleeds, it oozes. Naturally after all this time I have just hibernated in my home. I went to the wound clinic. I did what they asked and they debrided me.. Weekly and then bi weekly but I didn't make a whole lot of progress. The poor Doctor that had me kept asking me when I was going to go consult with a surgeon as he didn't see anyway this would heal on its on. He also put his neck on the line for me as Medicare and Tri-care denied to pay them for my care saying it wasn't necessary. The wound Doctor appealed but he continued to see me and treat me while the appeal was going on.. I did not know of any of this until I got the whole story via Medicare and my Tricare Medical Reports they issued in November of 2010.
This is where my frustration comes in.
I did seek out professional opinion and consult within 3 months of this being done to me. The Reconstructive Plastic Surgeon was brand new to the area and I liked his creditials. This Doctor put me at ease regarding that it was not my fault what happened to me and showed me pictures from his album and wanted me to heal more and see if I could get my money back if not then seek legal advice. Ok, I did what he asked and I came back later in the spring, hoping that he would correct this hideous looking abdomen of mine. They weighed me and he told me he would do the procedure on me when I reach 145lbs. I already feel and look like a fat cow but as I tried to tell him. I went into that Doctors Office on Nov 11th 2008 and weighed in at 151 lbs. I hobbled out 5 and 1/2 hours later with an incision 23 long and ungodly painful haze. Only drugs given were orally and they were Valium, which I hate, Visteril,and Dilauded all by mouth. I was told to go home and take it easy and I could shower in the AM and then come in so they could check me. I did and the pictures I first posted on Self, were taken on my first Post-Op day. I knew I was in trouble when the Doctor asked me what was going on because I had huge blisters all along my incision, black blisters and he broke them as he checked the incision, thus came the black belt that adhered to my body. I also weighed in at a whopping 185 lbs. I was told not to panic that it was just fluid and would go down over the next few weeks.
That is what I was trying to get across to the Plastic Surgeon that Pre-Op I was 151 lbs when they did this too me and left me with this hard leadbelly and a weight gain of 34 lbs on Post Op Day 1. I have worked like hell to get to my former self or close to it. The closest I got was last fall. I was wearing all the clothes I wore Pre surgery as long as they did not come up to the waist line.
I don't know what to do anymore. I know that any good Office Manager would have the right codes to have me approved for my body to be fixed now.. I have had repeated high fevers. The last one was just 10 days ago. I woke up with a fever of 104. When I realized I had a fever I took Tylenol but only could get my fever down to 101.9... I live by myself. I am a military widow and my husband was an Officer in the military for 25 years. I have good medical coverage this I know.. I have never had to pay out of pocket other than my yearly deductible. There has got to be someone that can help me.. I just don't know who to turn to.. I am not in a town where we have Plastic Surgeons on call or like in the big cities.. You see ER doctors with a discharge instructions to follow up with your primary doctor. Everyone is so damn afraid of getting sued. I have never sued anyone in my life. The person who fixes me will be my Hero for life! I don't bend in the middle, the extra weight of the abdomen makes my back hurt terrible when I am up. The Pelvis gets congested thus the Mons gets hard so the whole apex of that part of my body is one huge backed up congestion. I told my sister the other day, my biggest fear is not of dying but dying alone and no one finding me for days. I truely believe that my insides are burnt up from the laser and all these layer and layers of sking that crack and bleed are just from the dead and dying underneath the skin.
So there you have the latest on me. I continue to stay at home I have to do my own lawn work etc so it creates more stress and injury to me.
I want me back, The Julieanne that smiled at everything and was bubbly and optimistic, and loved herself even my 151 lbs of me. So if there is anyone out there who reads this and can help me please let me know... My family is even willing to pay for my plane ticket to fly to a specialist who can fix me. I didn't even celebrate Christmas this year, no tree nothing. Sorry for going on, I don't mean to sound like Woe is me, that is exactly why I haven't posted, I am an upbeat person. So there you have it from the source. I also have updated pictures if anyone wants to see them. I don't know how to update my photo's on here... God Bless to all of you for wishing me well and wanting to know how I am doing.. Big hugs from the Pacific NW... Julieanne

Hello to everyone.. I am sorry for not...

Hello to everyone..

This is where my frustration comes in.

I just wanted to add a few more pictures of what...

I just wanted to add a few more pictures of what has been going on for the past6 months or so... I managed to have my camera with me while I did my routine of the hibiclens scrubs as you see on the photo's recently uploaded. The photo's I am uploading today is what my abdomen looks like after going outside and trying to rake up leaves and lifting the bags into the garbage cans for Waste management. The incision cracks, splits and bleeds.. Sometimes alot more than other times. Todays bleeding and oozing was alot and I did get somewhat lightheaded. I know this is taking a toll on my CBC as I am cold most all the time, my hands and face to me stand out like a snowman and to top it all off, Cold or not... I put away or eat at least 10 lbs of ice a day. I literally crave it.. I prefer the Ice more than I do food. It is miserable to be so cold that your lips are the same color as your skin yet you have to eat ice to keep the craving at bay. I need some guidance and help and am relying on the RealSelf Community to please help me. I can be reached through RealSelf to my personal email. I apologize ahead of time if I am going about asking for help via a public forum the wrong way.. It's the only way I know how to convey my urgency to solve my problem is by just stating it openly and by showing you my latest pictures. Yes they are graphic but I am living with this daily and it's pretty scarey for me also... I hope to hear from some of you. For those of you who are new to my 2 year journey to here, I am not a total laymen to this... I am a retired Registered Nurse so I do understand most all of what is going on with me and my body, so I am taking in all the info that is given to me. Thank you again to the Staff at RealSelf for your site and help... Sunkissedcute 02/26/11

I can't tell my doctor's name until I decide what I am going to do. I honestly like him as a person.. I will not recommend a Physician/Surgeon that has not the education of a full fledge Plastic Surgeon to on anyone.. Any MD who can do surgery and go to these seminars and do training can pass the training get a certificate and POOF... they can do Cosmetic Surgery on You... Hindsight is always 20_20

Hi there.. I'm new to this site. Just had a baby last month..had life threatening postpartum bleeding...I had planned for a tt 3 yrs from now when my child grows up but after reading your post I wonder if it's worth the risk I'll subject myself ...thx so much for sharing your experience.. I feel like sending many hugs and wishes your way... I so hope you have gotten better.. Hugs..
Sunkissedcutie~I was just wondering how you are? I am SHOCKED they dont have you in the hospital on IV antibiotics! I sure hope you have a good lawyer! Though I know that the suffering you have gone through, no amount can make it go away. My thoughts and prayers are with you! Who is treating you now, Please keep us updated! Hugs!
I recently had a mommy makeover and am having a bit of a hard time-and was just very curious how your recovery is going!! I have to add that my recovery has had bumps but not like yours!! Just wish I could give you a great big hug!!
Seeing your post for the first time, and hoping that your situation has improved. This is horrifying.
Do you have family that live in a larger city where you would have access to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon? You need to get this taken care of by a surgeon who can help you and reclaim your life. My heart goes out to you.
I'm seeing your post for the first time today Feb 26, 2011. You've had an open wound and have not healed from a procedure done back in 2009???

I'm obviously not a doctor but my advice would be to go to a highly skilled internist for a complete physical evaluation & then get a recommendation for an excellent surgeron for repairing the damage that was done to you.

Best wishes.
I am seeing this post for the first time and it brought tears to my eyes when i read it. U have certainly gotton a raw deal. I hope u r feeling much better and u r in my prayers...please keep us posted...u r a strong individual and u will certainly pull through.
Yes, I would like to hear that she sued this Md. Plus, I would like to hear more about where she is right now with here healing. God Bless

i can not believe this was done to you.i am so sorry.what city was this done it? i hope you can soon name the md so this does not happen to some one else. take care

Hi Karla... the best way to describe me is awful... I look 9 months pregnant still, my incision opens up back and forth on the incision line due to all the tightness of my abdomen. I continue to leak, seep or ooze for lack of a better way to describe what this is doing to my clothes... Starting this last week I am having difficulty standing up quickly or straight due to sharp pain on the left side of my abdomen that has moved from where my belly button was to almost my rib cage. I am a prisoner in my own body. I am a retired RN and my nose is good and to me I smell. My son came to visit and he agree's he smells me sitting next to him yet others are smelling anything. My site is not draining anything that is thick or has any pus in it... just drains fresh blood, old blood and amber clear drainage. Sorry I don't mean to complain. I don't want anyone touching me unless they will fix me totally. I am convinced that the laser has destroyed all my circulation and blood circulation under my skin. Thank you for your prayers I appreciate it. I have new pictures of my incision I just don't know how to load them up on the site... Merry Christmas and hugs from the Pacific NW...
God Bless. I'll pray for you. How are you now?
Wow - I would love to know how you are now. I am four weeks post-op from my tt and I'm going nuts. I have horrible fat tissue necrosis with odor. I really like my doc and don't blame him. I've only been going through this part for three weeks. After reading your story, I will stop complaining. God Bless.
Wow, I am so sorry that you have to go thru this. It does look bad, and I DID WINCE, when I saw it. Good Luck with your grafting. I am a new RN and I am going into wound care, going thru my specialst certificate now. I will ask if anyone has seen anything like this before. You are in my prayers
Dear SKC I am sorry you had this kind of result and your statements couldn't be more true. Make sure your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. None of us would think of doing this as a local procedure but in all liklihood your doctor was not trained and had no hospital privileges. Always ask your doctor if he/she can do the same operation in one of the local hospitals he is on staff. If they give you a cockamamie answer - run as fast as you can. As far as getting treatment I would go to one of the major teaching centers in Washington where I am sure you will be able to be helped by the Plastic Surgery service. Good Luck. Steven Schuster MD FACS
Don't guess what your insurance company will and will not cover. You have to just try and go for it. hernia and reconstructive surgery should be covered. Your belly button is the anchor to your stomach. I lost mine several years ago from an umbilical hernia and following tissue damage from cellulitus and I am about a month out for the surgery to have mine repaired with a diastasis repair. ( I was previously denied by insurance twice over three years before final approval). But living without that core anchor and the muscles surrounding it, there is nothing to hold your stomach to you and that physical sensation is just dreadful and there is nothing you can physically do to correct that feeling with out the option of surgery. No one with an original belly button could ever understand that statement. But living without one makes for many physical limitations and effects. For those of you that mock the idea try jumping or running without a belly button, not to mention how people look at you at the poolside, or if you spread the fear of panic into a child if they were to see the scar, like would their belly button get sick and have to be removed also. Anyway I will get off my belly button soap box for now. It really sounds like you have been to hell and back with your post surgery stomach. I truely wish you a healthy recovery. Don't give up, or just roll over and quit on the idea of insurance coverage. Keep all your appointments and keep writing letters to the insurance company. The truth is on your side and you have the evidence in photo's and medical records to prove it. Self doubt and past history are not good enough reasons not to fight for a better you. You will get better, just commit to yourself that you won't give up.
Hi Jeanne, Thank you for your prayers and well wishes... I too hope that you fly through yours with flying colors...Just be sure they are board Certified. I really did not expect the results I got... I was totally shook up when I saw what had become of my once tummy... I am glad to report that the healing process is progressing well...no one has done any more cultures on me but I have been on Bactrim for 5 weeks now and have 3 more to go... along with the hibiclens shower everyday... I look in the mirror and realize it is going to take a very special Doctor to fix me.. I have necrotic skin deep down that has left me blue and purple looking from the belly button down.. altho I have no belly button now.. So from other post... I understand I will be in for some grafting as well. The worst part about all of this... is there is no way to get insurance to pay for this mess. I have great insurance and double coverage but they will undoubtly say I don't need it.. but they don't have to look at my body everyday I do... I cancelled my trip to Hawaii next week with my sister and niece.. I just can't wear any of my clothes I have worn for years and refuse to buy a new wardrobe for this misfit body of mine. Maybe next year will be better... The last 10 months have really been a nightmare... God bless and keep us posted..... hugs from the pacific NW..
Your insurance company should pay for this because it is not cosmetic but reconstructive and if you would like I would be happy to write and document your story for them to pay for it. I am an accountant by trade but I have done many formal writings in order to get someone's doctor's bill paid including my own so if you need that kind of assistance send me a note to Jeanne1101@aol.com. Bless you and He Shall keep you safe and getting well.
I have my TT scheduled for August 28th of 2009. I have been going through your posts and my fears were confirmed that this does happen and it is truly scary. I would like to know how you are doing and I too will post my progress like you have on the internet for others to have a real view of what happens with a TT. I hope you have progressed to be infection free and wish you only the best. God be with you, woman because I want your next birthday to be exciting and healthy.
Hello everyone.... Patiences is a virtue... or so I have been told... Ok here is what happened at OHSU... Remember I had to be taken to another state to be seen so I had two days traveling to tend with... and the weather here has been a weltering 104 degree's. I saw the intern Doctor working with the Specialist. He did all the scut work... History and general look see at my abdomen. Dr. Wong came in... asked me a couple of questions, saw my last culture was done in April and said this.... I want you to continue to take Bactrim DS 800mg 2 times a day for another 3 weeks... I want you to scrub with Hibiclens Surgical antibacterial Wash from your neck down every day for the next 5 weeks... I also want you to put this ointment... handed me a RX for Mupironcin ointment..up inside each side of your nose 3 times a day for 5 days... Thank Goodness that is done and over with... His objective take on me is that I have Staph and MRSA that has colonized one on the abdomen because of being an open wound for so long... and that my left arm that is broke out in the same type of satellite lesions is also part of the infection. Oh and to stay out of hot sun while on the medicine.. Stay indoors.. and I should be ok and clear of my infection in 3 to 5 weeks. So we will know by Aug 23rd if that worked... I do see improvement of the lesions on my arm... I am anxiously awaiting for the abdomen ugly as it is... to be free of infection so I can get fixed right... I feel horrible at all the scars on my body from the infection and open wound for so long...I avoid mirrors at all costs as I do get pretty down when I see what I am left with. Just with my limited knowledge and research.. I know I am going to need skin grafts, and some type of mesh put inside of me to fix the messed up abdomen muscles.. Oh they found a hernia in the old surgical scar where they tried to break apart the old scar with the smartlipo tools. That may or may not be the cause of the hard left sided pain I have right of midline.. That hurts, and keeps me from bending in the middle like a normal person.. So that is all the news I have at the moment.... Instead of my Front Teeth for Christmas... all I want for Christmas is my body back in my clothes... Thanks for sharing and listening to me... Hugs from the Pacific NW..
same here ....
I have been waiting patiently to see your update since your apt on the 17th! Hope there is good news!!
oh gee, what a mess ! I read in one of your earlier posts that you are an Retired RN ? What about the Doctor or Clinic you worked for ... maybe they can help ? I hope everything goes well the 17th. and you finally get the "desperate" help you need and should get ! keep us informed and i will say a little prayer & keep my fingers and toes crossed for you. {{ Hugs }}
Hi, Just alittle update this week.. I have my appt finally after the Doctors held some type of meeting to discuss which patients to see etc... I was assigned a doctor but do not have an appt until July 17th. Alot of you have suggested I go to my local ER, there is no on call Plastic Surgeon. You get the ER Doctor and then you are sent back to your private doctor for follow up... So you can see my dilemma. This creates a hardship on me as I have to rely on someone to take me another facility to see specialist... I have followed the procedure to get into a Certified Specialist.. I feel like I have wasted an entire year of my life.. I certainly don't want to live the rest of my life looking like this... Its taken a toll on me emotionally. Trying to keep my head up, and take one day at a time... Thank you everyone for your comments and advice... I am reading and taking everything to heart...God Bless all of you... Hugs from the Pacific NW
I would make a wound care clinic appt immediately or go to emergency room for this horrible problem. It will also be documented medically what they have found - don't wait any longer. It could become worse - you are in my prayers.
Hi Sweet, Yes that was a form of treatment that was offered unfortunately I have MRSA and E Coli that has not improved with Oral antibiotics so thus the wound clinic is out here locally due to the spreading of this Super Bug... I hope that the Infectious Disease Doctor will take this all in stride and have a place for me to heal and be seen by wound specialist.. I myself believe Hyperbaric Chamber would be of great help.. I understand that either a Doctor is for it or against that type of treatment.. I will post an update after my appt with OHSU this Friday... Hopefully they will get it all wrapped up so that I can concentrate on me the person, not me the leadbelly superbug.... Thank you so much for your prayers they are very much appreciated... Hugs from me in the Great Pacific NW. :O)