Sleeve Gastrectomy Was the Way for Me - Huntsville, AL

6 years ago my cardio Dr. talked to me about...

6 years ago my cardio Dr. talked to me about bariatric surgery. The Roux N Y was the go-to surgery then. I researched it and went through the 7 month process for being approved by my insurance, but the whole time I felt like this wasn't the surgery for me. I finally talked myself out of having it, but my health was terrible. I have congestive heart failure and it seemed to be getting worse and worse. I researched the bariatric surgeries once again and this time came across the Sleeve Gastrectomy. It made sense to me. I had my surgery Oct 7, 2013 and have done great! I've lost 30 lbs in 4 weeks and am medication free!!!! I have problems with being nauseated when I eat, but that's a small price to pay for having more energy than I've had in years.

before and now pics

I lost my husband in July of 2011 and was devastated. He had passed away so unexpectedly and though no way would have been easy, my whole family and my whole way of life changed. I could no longer even think of eating, so I'm sure this pic taken in December was probably after I'd lost 20 or 30 lbs. I'd lost 60 lbs before the sleeve surgery on Oct 7, 2013 and now as of December 7, 2013 I've lost 41 more lbs. A total of 101 lbs. Can't wait to do another pic a year from now.

2 months post op

Dr. Jay Suggs

Dr Suggs was very professional, yet very kind and thoughtful. I have no problems with him at all. He found a hiatal hernia as he was doing my sleeve and fixed that too! I couldn't be happier with his treatment.

I have Hashimoto too. If your med levels are right, I was told I will lose. May have to kick in some excercise to jump start.
I think that was one of the other repliers to this that had Hashimoto. I don't have that problem Thank the Lord. I have started exercising though and it sure has made me feel better. I've been in a bit of a slump weight loss wise and emotions too, so the exercise is helping with both.
Awesome!
Mine is slow but i am losing ...as long as u take ur thyroid meds and follow what ur suppose to u will do fine u may lose urs faster everybodys body is different hun.

Hey there, how are you doing now? Are you able to eat okay and not feel hungry?

Still having some problems with certain foods but its getting easier

Good, glad to hear it. I can't tolerate eggs now, but most things are okay.

I have a friend who has thyroid problems. She's on meds and when she first started them she lost a lot of weight, but now she's been on them for a couple of years she's gaining again. Thyroid problems is bad news huh?
They are they worst I have hypothyroid and hashimotos thyroiditis which is an enlarged thyroid

Welcome and thanks for sharing with us!

Congrats on your surgery, I'm glad it went well and you're feeling good! I had mine 7 weeks ago and I still get nausea sometimes, but it gets easier as time goes on!

Please do keep us updated with your progress.

Thank you. I guess I'm just a slow learner. I've gulped my food down for so long that it takes real patience to eat slowly. Today I had a half of a peanut butter sandwich. I took teeny tiny little bits off the sandwich and chewed forever before swallowing. It only made me a little nauseous. Things are looking up!

Yes, slow and steady wins the race. The surgery can fix the physical side of things, but we still have to constantly deal with the mental side and fast eating is one of those issues.

I try to chew each bit about 40 times, so the food is almost mush before it goes down. You have to remember that most sleeves are only around a 1/2 inch wide, so large pieces of food will get stuck and make you feel sick.

I had no idea what size the sleeve was. That explains a lot Kirsty. I guess I don't ask enough questions. I was afraid I was eating too much. Even though I was only getting about 3 bites down sometimes.

You're only about 5 weeks out, so 3 bites isn't bad, if you can do it 6-ish times per day. However, it probably is the chewing aspect as well.

Gotcha. I've been trying to get 3 times a day in. Haven't realize I should be eating 6 times a day, but that sure makes sense. Maybe I won't be so hungry if I do that. Thank you Kirsty!

No problem at all. I'll be looking out for your updates. :-)

Good for you...I still have pain and nausea when I eat but I still struggle with weight loss due to thyroid ...but we have to push forward...keep up the good work!
I had read about the weight loss slow down, but didn't think that much about it till I weighed this morning. I'd only lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks. Kind of depressing since I feel like I'm starving to death, but I'll take it anyway! My weight sits there like it's made of concrete. Good luck to us all! :) :
I felt that way before surgery lol but since surgery its hard to make myself eat all the small meals. The hardest part is relearning when I feel hungry or when I am full til I start hurting but with thyroid I am still losing slow.
I'm about to have the sleeve done, I too have hashimoto disease and was wondering if it was going to effect my losing weight.