Unsure About Pearl Fractional Healing Process - Houston, TX

I had pearl fractional for acne scars. I am at...

I had pearl fractional for acne scars. I am at week 4 and I do not see much improvement on my scars plus I still see dots on my face from the laser. I am also still red. I believe I had an agressive treatment and it will probably take 6 weeks for the redness to fade. It took the full 7 days for me to be ready for make up. At this point I doubt it was worth it and am scared I will now have permanant holes in my skin.

Am I healing as should be expected? Is it standard to still see the dot pattern from the laser at week 4 and can I be certain the dot pattern will fade?

Dr. Shell

Well trained, kind and personable.

I had the full face pearl laser treatment 3 months ago to target wrinkles on my upper lip and crow's feet around the eyes. The wrinkles are still prominent/ no improvement at all, but the most upsetting thing is the red streaks and honeycomb pattern on my cheeks, chin and forehead. The doctor told me that it was likely due to hormones or sun exposure soon after treatment and says that I should come in for bleaching treatment. I won't be back in because I'm afraid they'll make it worse. I have had no sun exposure after the treatment, staying indoors or wearing sunscreen and floppy hats if I must go out during daylight hours.

I am so sorry about what happened to you. I, too, have suffered horribly....pain, infection, and loss of self esteem. Hopefully we will both improve. Have you tried any type of alternative therapies? I will update you on my progress as well.....mine is around my eyes only. I had previously had the facial resurfacing with no complications whatsoever. I never, ever, ever would recommend this to anyone. I am totally done with any type of laser. Good luck to us both!
For anyone out there thinking of doing the Pearl Fractional, don't do it!!!! I had it done about 2 years ago and my skin looks horrible. At first you will look good because you are swollen, but the swelling goes down and then everything comes out. I now have large "pores" all around my mouth and chin. The doctor did 2 swipes over my face and now the "pores" have connected and have made vertical lines above my lip. She turned up the laser for around my mouth because that is where I had the most wrinkling. I believe she turned it up too far, and made things worse. I now had old lady lines above my lip. Hard to explain, you have to see it. I don't know how she can get away with this. She gave me "free" microdermabrasion and some other procedure to help, but nothing did. She also gave me some Juvederm to make look better. It is a crock, I look much older than I did.
I had Pearl periorbital treatment. A month out, I have folliculitis, am on heavy antibiotics, and look like I have severe acne. I am beyond upset!
I couldnt see the grid marks originally b/c my face was swollen, but yes, after a week or so, they were visible and still are about two months later. I still have a reddish/pink tone to my skin as well -- are you still slightly pink?

I have ice pick scars -- what type of scars do you have? Did you see any improvement at all yet? We basically got this done at the same time.

Thanks eea!
i had mine the 12th of january and the grid marks are just as present as they were from the beginning. i also still have severe hyperpigmentation issues as well. they say it takes a full 12 weeks for 1 cycle of skin to slough off, but i was not prepared for this healing time. i have had similar procedures done in the past and have never experienced (aside from the grid marks, which i've had before) this delayed healing time. it took years and multiple chemical peels to rid myself of the grid marks from my first fractional treatment. for as many people who seem to be experiencing similar problems to ours, there is definitely no one telling you that you could be dealing with the side effects of this treatment for months or years. also, the fractional treatment did nothing for my initial issue which was acne scarring.
I too got the Pearl fractional on Jan 13th and I still see the laser formation on my skin, particularly around my smile lines -- it looks like big pores.
I'm really concerned that it wont go away.
eea: have you seen an improvement? I worry that this wont go away - not sure how harsh i should be with my doctor next time I go in for my 3 month follow up...
they never mentioned this might happen.
thank you so much!
Anna
thanks!
Awesome. I actually bought those exact products yesterday, they at least feel nice so far, although I don't think my checking account (and husband) would agree. We are quite the skin twins- my skin is the same type. I've tried Nude before... didn't think much of it for the price. And, my skin doesn't feel dry- it actually feels totally normal, which is why the lingering redness and marks are so alarming, as my skin seems quite healed. Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated. :)
Also, www.lovelyskin.com is a great place to get NIA24 products. They usually have discounts. Nia24 will often have 25% off specials. Plus, it's always free shipping.
how long did it take for the grid to go away? did you have anything else done to your face or did everything heal with time and products? what type of skin do you have?
did you use the mineral sunscreen and the skin strengthening or the intensive repair complex?
sorry for the barrage of questions, i'm just desperate to get this healed.
I don't mind at all answering your questions. I felt just like you after the procedure. Worried I had ruined my skin for life. I did not get anything else done to my face. I don't remember how long it was til the redness and gridmarks went away. Maybe 6 months? But it did improve as the time went. I started using the niacin products at about 6 months and I think it really sped up the healing. I read really good things about niacin healing skin. I use the Mineral Suncreen and Intensive Recovery Complex. Also, I think the Nude Skincare oil cleanser helped. It seems an oil cleanser would cause breakouts but it didn't. And it is the most gentle cleanser out there that leaves your skin feeling clean. You can get a test sample at Sephora. The doctor wanted me to use Cetaphil cleanser with the Cetaphil cream which did cause breakouts and I never felt like my skin would get clean. They really pushed products with petroleum jelly in it and anything that had that cause breakouts for me. The Nia24 did not do that. Hopefully, this info will help. Oh yeah. My skin type is white with an olive tone. Oily and acne prone.
What is the name of the Niacin products you used to help with healing? Thanke
I had pearl and pearl fractional on my chin only. I have very pale skin. It was for some very mild acne scarring and mild laugh lines. It has been 3.5 weeks and I am still red and blotchy and break now which I didn't in the past. It looks far worse than it did before the procedure. I called my dermatologist to see if the redness was normal after three weeks and they never returned my phone call. I would not recommend this procedure to anyone. I now have to wear a TON of make on my chin so it matches the rest of my face and now it looks like pizza with the blotchy redness and now break outs.Humiliating that I actually PAID a lot of money to look like this!If anyone one has some advice or encouragement that was still red and breaking out after three weeks where it gets better, please let me know:(
The redness does go away. I started using NIA24 products and that helped. It seemed like it took forever for the redness to go though. Maybe 6 months. I don't really think the procedure was worth the money or the pain or the redness. My acne scars did not imporove much. My friends say it looks better but I don't really feel like it was worth it. I know how you feel.
did your grid marks ever go away? what NIA24 products did you use? i have the exact same issues that you did and i am now 4 weeks out.
yes, the grid marks did go away. I used the NIA24 sunscreen and the night time moisturizer. I wash my face with Nude Oil Cleanser. My face started getting really dry after any cleanser for some reason and the oil cleanser is amazing.
It has been almost 6 weeks since cutera pearl fractional. I do not see a improvement. I still have the marks on my face and blotchiness all over. My doctor doesn't understand why. They think that by doing the Pearl laser, this will help get rid of all the dots. Can anyone help me?
It is now almost 3 months since the procedure. My face is still red and the weird pattern has not healed. They say I am a slow healer and that I should have healed by now. Some people say they think my skin looks better but I don't see a difference. At least not a significant difference. I think it is not worth the money or the effort. I think the redness is getting better but it is really slow. Maybe by next year it will be gone.
I am almost 6 months out and have hyperpigmentation, streeks and a honey comb appearance, not too mention the texture of my skin is horrible. Please consider carefully. I am a nurse, did research pre-procedure, received at one of the top cosmetic surgeons in our area and followed the instruction to the letter. Also, I had no hyperpigmentation prior to the procedure. I had it done for fine lines and pores.
HI, All the factional lasers leave laser track marks,holes,grid marks, i had the same from the Fraxelre:pair,it has been 5 months for me now,i am still hoping i will heal more,i had the fraxel re:store in 2005, no problems,left my texture plump & smooth.do not believe the doctors,they wnat to get their expensive laser machines paid for,i don't think they really care about our out come. Be Well
I absolutely agree with you. I had 3 Pearl laser treatments and the doctor told me before the first one that it would "completely get rid of my melasma permenantly." If I had known the truth about what the outcome would be I NEVER would have done it. I am now left with even worse spots, scars and it ended up getting infected and I spent a week in the hospital. They didnt even take care of the bill for destroying my face.
Hi, Did your dots ever end up fading?? Have you noticed an improvement in your scars???? I am 21 and i have booked in to recieve pearl fractional treatment next month for my acne scars, I havent read any reviews from people who have recieved this procedure. I would really like to know how yours turned out. I dont want to go through with it if it isnt going to work. Thanks
I had 3 Pearl laser treatments on my face for melasma and not only did it not work, but it made the spots worse. It also got badly infected and I ended up in the hospital for a week on IV antibiotics. I am now left with scars as well. I had the first one in May, then again at the end of June and then in August. It literally destroyed my face. I have to wear very expensive make up and still put a few different creams on my face 2 times a day just to go outside. It was a very traumatic experience that I will have to live with forever now and I am only 34.