Keloid Revision - Houston, TX

Last year, I had scar revision surgery with Dr....

Last year, I had scar revision surgery with Dr. Kutty. To give some background on my skin type/texture: African American, keloid prone, surgery in high tension area (upper arm/shoulder). Years before I went to dr. Kutty I had large almost 1/2 inch high keloids protruding from my skin from a car accident but they were excised by a diff dr. in addition to using radiotherapy. The remaining surgery scars widened and I wanted to see if I could get them smaller in width, which is where Dr. Kutty came in. Dr. Kutty and his admin asst. Nicole were both very professional and courteous. I was especially sold to Dr. Kutty's ofc because there was no consultation fee for scar revision which I think is awesome and most practices should follow this lead.

The method of surgery used was excision with no radiotherapy in addition to one session of steroid injections. I had two parts to my scar to be excised. Right after my surgery, the stitches that were taken out of one of the scars was already wide, and generally immediately after stitches are removed the scar is still in tact. Later within the two week post excision period both scars excised started to turn hypertrophic and at that point I visited Dr. Kutty and he administered steroid injections.

Dr. Kutty's technique and lining of the excision was good but the overall surgery did not have a satisfactory outcome because 1. the scar that was wide immediately after the stitches were removed is still wide, months later 2. the injection used was not effective in reducing hypertrophy for my scar. I understand the complexity of scar revision in keloid prone patients which is why im not so harsh about the results; however, in past I had excision w/ radiotherapy within 24 hours after the excision and this left my scars smooth where injections where not even needed but they eventually widened because radiotherapy relaxed the skin tissue and I did not use compression long enough to prevent widening which is why I visited Kutty to revise.

I'm going for one last attempt w/ a surgeon who uses radiotherapy in addition to a more aggressive post surgery recovery plan as is much needed to prevent hypertrophic or god forbid keloid recurrence. thx
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon