Rhinoplasty in Houston or LA - Houston, TX

Hi everyone! I've wanted a rhinoplasty for the...

Hi everyone! I've wanted a rhinoplasty for the past couple of years. I only want a couple of minor changes to my nose: I have a slight hump that's more obvious from one side than another that I want gone and I want a liiittle more definition at the tip. I don't have breathing problems/a deviated septum/enlarged turbinates, etc.

I live in Houston, TX. There are plenty of surgeons here to choose from, but the list gets a lot smaller if you're only considering otolaryngologists/plastic surgeons. Right now, I've got consultations scheduled with 4 doctors here. I'm also going to be seeing Dr. Grigoryants in LA. He does full-body work, but I can't find a bad review on the man and his B&As are lovely.

Consultations (in chronological order):
Dr. Michel Siegel
Dr. Etai Funk
Dr. Fred Bressler
Dr. Anthony Brissett
Dr. Vladimir Grigoryants

I'm going to save specific comments on each of the doctors I've seen for after the surgery, but if you have any questions about my impressions of any of them, just PM me. We Houstonians have to stick together!

Am I ridiculous for wanting to see Dr. Grigoryants? Since my rhinoplasty will be very simple (or at least it seems that way to me), it seems like any good surgeon could handle my case. (I'd hate to be the guy that goes to a really nice steakhouse when all they want is a hamburger). On the other hand, why not go to the best? Anyway, let me know what you think!

Getting closer...

I've got my consultation with Dr.`

Getting closer...

Sorry, my cat decided to submit my update before I was done writing.

Anyway, not much new has happened in the last week. I've got my consultation with Dr. Funk this week, and I saw Dr. Siegel a second time this past Friday. I definitely feel like I've got a better idea of exactly what I want done and when I'll be able to do it. Definitely within the next 3 months.

My trip to LA to see Dr. Grigoryants is just before Christmas. My mom is going with me and there will definitely be some mother/daughter mani/pedis in order.

Are you still going to have surgery with Dr. G in May?! If so...I'm excited for you!! I'll be right behind you and look forward to hearing more about your experience and seeing the results if you decide to post them! :] Good luck!
Yep! It's the 14th. Got my flights, hotel, and everything else organized, and will be done paying my remaining balance this week! I haven't decided yet whether I'll post pictures here or not yet. I had some up when I first made my profile, but I'm sort of a private person and it freaked me out a little to have them up here. I'll definitely share my pics with Dr. G patients, though. I think there's like three or four of us all in a row in the next couple of months, lol. There should be a separate realself just for us Grigoryants girls.
:] oh man, the only things i don't look forward to; getting blood work and paying for it! haha yay, i'm so excited to follow all of Dr. G's patients! How long are you making your trip?
Haha yeah, got my blood work done yesterday. Fingers crossed that I'm not anemic or anything. I'll be in LA for 9 days - I booked a cute little guest house in Glendale with a full kitchen. Gah, I can't wait.
Well...if I were you I would not do it....I did it for the same reason as you...and you know what...nobody tells you about the change of the front view..and when you smile...I do regret so much having done it...I was pretty before and thought I will even be prettier...well now I am just crying over my old self.... I would recommend to go under surgery only if your nose is really out of proportion and ugly otherwise for a minor change : NO !!! Believe me it destroid my life, i sometimes dont get up so I dont see my new nose....evenso the nose itself look good...
Hi Clara. I'm sorry that you aren't happy with your results. I've been sure to ask each of the doctor's I've seen how the changes to the profile I want will affect how my nose looks from the front. And, the imaging that the docs have done includes both side and front views. I realize that I really have more room for un-improvement than improvement, but I think that if I find the right doctor the risks that I will be unhappy with the results are low. Are you considering revision?

Welcome to RealSelf's rhinoplasty community! Here's a list of questions to ask your prospective surgeons. Please keep us posted on how it all goes!

You look like Leighton Meester! You're beautiful now and will be even more so after surgery. I agree that you have to find a surgeon that'll respect your nose. It's already pretty, it'd be a shame to change it too much. Have you looked into Dr. C. Spencer Cochrane in Dallas? He's supposed to be really good. I like that he gives really natural results and stays true to the original look.
Thanks! I get told that I look like Leighton Meester all the time, lol. I haven't specifically looked into Cochran but I've definitely heard the name on this site. I'll check him out. Thanks for the tip! Hope your recovery is going well.
Thanks! I'm on day 5. Two more days and I'll see what my new nose looks like. I'm way more scared than I expected I'd be!
Hey! I just want to say, you're such a gorgeous girl! this procedure will give you that extra boost of confidence which will make people take notice even more then they already do. Confidence is the key to beauty, no matter what you look like - a confident woman is a beautiful woman. And you're right, your procedure seems very simple, so i'm confident you'll be thrilled with your new nose. Good luck! =)
Thanks so much!
I truly love your nose, now! Your front view is perfect for your face! I think you are kinda crazy but just be careful. I usually encourage everyone, but not when they have nothing wrong with their nose. You are trading a perfectly fine nose in for potential problems, and that happens a lot with people chasing the tiniest of imperfections that are invisible to the real World... there is nothing "beefy" about your nose. I guess I just don't see anything worth risking! Good luck!
Thanks! I'm still very much on the fence about doing anything at all to the tip. In the beginning, I just wanted my little hump removed, but then I started looking at B&As and saw a bunch of beautiful tip refinements and it sort of planted a seed in my head. But you're right, best not to mess with something that's good to begin with. Plus, the more change you request, the more room there is for error. As for the bump...I'm good about embracing my imperfections, but for some reason I've always felt that the bump was somebody else's imperfection that was mistakenly assigned to me, lol. Don't know if that makes sense. It only cropped up after puberty and a decade later I still haven't gotten used to it. So, priority number one for me is finding a conservative surgeon that will respect my current nose. And that will only do what is minimally necessary to remove the bump and refine the tip (if I end up choosing to do that, kind of leaning towards not). In the end, I may not end up getting anything done at all! But the bump has bothered me long enough that I think it's worth it to talk to docs and find out what can be done. Thanks so much for commenting. This is exactly why I joined RS, to get as many perspectives as I can before I make such an important decision.
Oh it does make sense. I had all the same thoughts. I guess since my surgery left me regretful, I would gladly take back the hump that only I really noticed.... so I feel I can see "the bigger picture" now, and that is how people really see your face. Definitely do as many consults as possible, and wait until you feel comfortable! Many surgeons do not do imaging (mine didn't) and while it is technically just them showing off their photo manipulation skills, I feel it is still really vital in seeing what your surgeon is envisioning in their head for your nose. It's nice to at least have a ballpark to be in. I feel if mine had done imaging I would have seen some of what he planned on not doing, which I now do need done to look "normal" and will be quite costly now that I am out of septum. So don't take the imaging as a promise, but it really is important to see what they see in their head for you. Good luck, and in the meantime just know you are beautiful!