Photodynamic Therapy with Levulan Day 2 - Houston, TX

Just had the treatment done yesterday. Levulan was...

Just had the treatment done yesterday. Levulan was left on my face for one hour, then 4 minutes under the blue light. They have me a cold air blowing tube to blow on my face during the treatment, and they were misting me with cold water, so the actual treatment was slightly uncomfortable but not too bad. I came straight home, drew all my drapes, and haven't left the house since.

Last night when I went to bed my face was red like a sunburn and somewhat swollen, particularly under my eyes/cheekbones area. This morning I woke up on Day 2 to an EXTREMELY swollen face. The redness is still there, but not much worse than it was last night, but the swelling is really major. It went all the way up to my lower eye. I called the dr out of concern that this wasn't a normal reaction, but she assured me that it can be expected. I've tried ice packs off & on today, but honestly, they don't help much so I blew it off. The swelling has gone down a tiny bit, at least in the area immediately under my eyes. Otherwise, it's still pretty bad. I'm really anxious to see how it looks tomorrow. I'm going to sleep propped up.

I'm so glad to hear you are in the hands of such a caring doctor. That can really make all the difference, can't it?!

If you were given any special creams or moisturizers to put on, I've heard of other women putting them in the fridge so they are nice & cool when they apply them to their face. Might be something to consider.

Keep us posted on how you are doing!!

Elizabeth Peterson

Dr. Peterson has the best bedside manner. She is very calming & patient, and took a ton of time with me. She called me last night (day 1) to check on me & see how I was feeling-- very nice. This morning when I called with my concerns re: the swelling, she called me back herself within minutes.