We've Only Just Begun! - Houston, TX

At 47 I began noticing the typical lower face...

At 47 I began noticing the typical lower face sagging, more pronounced nasolabial folds, and baby jowls. It was the beginning jowls, and the left nasolabial fold that bothered me most. Considered fillers but was not keen on having to repeat injections every 6 to 12 months. At 48 I discovered the secret lift tapes which worked wonders and took years off. I wore them about a year daily, but developed a fear of the wind when outside. One good blow and voila the tapes could be seen. I just had my 49th birthday and chose the Lifestyle Lift as the gift of choice. My husband and I made it to Houston June 20, 2012 for my lift. My husband's support has been sustaining. We were greeted by a professional and genuine staff. My excitement level was pretty high, and to my surprise, no nerves. The procedure went well. Dr. Smith and his assistant were absolutely fantastic. It was obvious they love what they do. The worse part of the procedure was the numbing needles. Other than that I felt no pain. However, they did warn me that the numbing affect will wear off and to start the pain meds prescribed. The procedure took about 2 hours maybe a little less. About 6:00pm it was time for pain meds!! However the prescribed pain killer caused nausea so I discontinued it, and have used extra strength tylenol as needed. Pain on a scale of 1 to 10 has ranged from 2-5. On day one after the procedure I took tylenol twice during, and twice on day two. I was warned by the lifestyle nurse that swelling usually increases day two and three. Day three after the procedure there was noticeable swelling on left side, and the worse pain experienced, but bearable took two tylenol for it. My experience so far has been very good. Pictures to come soon.

Update: Day 6 I have no swelling, and incisions...

Update: Day 6 I have no swelling, and incisions are healed nicely. Tomorrow the stitches will be removed. There is some hardness just in front of the ears, and the neck where muscles have been lifted. Each day these areas soften. The journey has been amazing, one that begin with prayer, and continues with thanksgiving! I believe God's hand has been on this process since the onset! My husband loves it, and is the only person in my circle of family and friends whom I told I was having this procedure. I have worn a straight haired wig for the past 19 years daily. Couldn't wear for the procedure so I got rid of it on that day, and have been wearing my natural afro hair since. On day four, post-op, I went to church with my natural hair. Several generous compliments were given on my appearance. My favorite, "You look like you stepped out of a magazine! They all attributed looking good to the new hair style! On day five post-op my 21 year old daughter and I sat next to each other on the bed in conversation. She said I look younger with my own hair! I'm grateful that the results look so natural. Personally, I think I still look 49, not younger, just better. That's just what I wanted!

Day 11 Post-Op: Healing nicely, numbness on sides...

Day 11 Post-Op: Healing nicely, numbness on sides of face diminishing each day along with hardness. This will get better to with time. Swelling is gone on both side now. Day 3 was the last day I took tylenol, and by day 5 I felt no more pain. Stitches are out, see scar shots at day 11 post-op, not bad. There's been no complications, quite happy with results.

One Month Post Op- I'm still very happy with...

One Month Post Op- I'm still very happy with results. Numbness still present but diminishing, especially on the right side. Was finally able to feel the satisfaction of scratching an itch felt on the side near ear a couple of days ago. (The things we take for granted) I'm now watching the scarring. Being African American we tend to have dark scars. I requested my incisions not be in the hairline or scalp. So these were made near the hair line. See 1 month post of photos of scarring.

40 Days Post Op- Photos Added (Again, No Make Up):...

40 Days Post Op- Photos Added (Again, No Make Up):
Back to my normal workout/fitness program without issues!!
Loving Life!!!

One Year Later

FYI: Still Satisfied. Recent photo added.
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

I did my research, and overwhelmingly this Doctor had good reviews, extensive experience, and a genuine passion for what he does. Prayer also was a guiding force. Intuitively I knew that this was the Doctor for my procedure.

Amazing results. When I had surgery I did not want to look younger, just better. I would love to see a picture so we could see how wonderful you look. I understand if you want to keep the surgery as a private matter.
Charlane, THANKS and Blessings for sharing answers, pictures, fears so many of us want to know. You ate Beautiful inside and out! I first posted somewhere below yours telling of my prayers for this procedure after following you. I want your doctor, too. The rest is in God's Hands. Fondly, Susan
Thank you Charlane for your words of support and reassurance. I go for my procedure in the morning in the surgery clinic in Santa Ana, CA. it is on the border of Santa Ana and Irvine. My Dr. was very kind and patient and I am confident that he will take care of me. I will continue to update my blog here and please keep me in your prayers. Best wishes. You look great!
I just had the LSL on Sept. 20 and so far, so good. Dr. Smith is great and actually the only doctor there who is a plastic surgeon. He also has a private practice in the Medical Center here in Houston. He calls his work "being Smitherized" and he is not only talented but has a great personality. He and his nurse talked the entire time they were working on me which kept me laughing. Of course, the 80+ shots are not fun and there are a lot of people who would not be able to undergo the shots, but once numb, it's well worth it. I have no bruising at all, but this is day three and I am quite swollen and sore. It will get better each day. I would recommend ONLY going to Dr. Smith and for those of you not so good with shots, see him at his private office and he can "put you out for the procedure" which is something they do not do at LSL. The meds they give you will NOT take away any of the pain from the shots and they are, by far, the worse part of the procedure! Dr. Smith rocks! BTW, I am 64!
Day three was the worse day for me post-op and I did wonder at what I had done to myself. I called the doctor and he phone me back and put my mind at ease. This is day 6 for me and the swelling has come down considerably and the bruising slowly disappearing. I am still hard at the corners of my ears and side areas, still feel tightening bands under my throat but they are getting better. I look a bit like a puffed out heart more pronounced at the corners! I go back to work in a week and hope most of the residue side effects are gone as I treat patients. I had the LSL and laser done. I am optimistic and see the profile I wanted when I now look in the mirror but I am still a week out I believe. Just remember, if you think you can go in on a Friday and have this surgery and got back to work on a Monday, well, you are wrong. You need at least 2-4 wks downtime I believe. JM
Hi JM, I hope your recovery experience is a very good one for you. I enjoy seeing a clear jawline in the mirror myself!
I did quite a bit of research on the procedure, and face lifts in general. Somewhere I read, "A face lift is as good as it's doctor". I prayerfully sought out who would be the best for me. I was originally assigned a doctor from San Antonio. However, the inner peace with this assignment was just not there, so I kept doing my homework. I found that Dr.Kevin Smith comes highly qualified, has his own practice outside of lifestyle lift. He's been at this for many years with an abundance of success. Intuitively I knew this was to be the doctor. I called in and made the switch. When it comes to the body, a good doctor is worth the drive!
Just curious, why did you go to Houston? I know the city & it has excellent drs. But just wondered why...I'm in Las Vegas, NV now & the healthcare leaves something to be desired...maybe I should go to Houston? Thanks!

Glad to hear you're doing well, Charlane, and thanks for sharing your story. I've seen people suggest getting a hairstyle change at the same time as a facelift, so any change is attributed to your "new look" (i.e. your hair) and not surgery. It looks like you stumbled on this secret! :) I'm happy to hear you're feeling good about yourself and were back to your normal routine so quickly as well. Congrats on your results.

I'm very happy for the successful outcome of your surgery. Enjoy!
Thank you very much CalDoc!!!
You're very welcome Charlane. God bless! :)
You look great and kudos for letting your hair be natural! The 19th is fast approaching and your honesty is so helpful! Church on day 4 - that in itself gives me hope this won't be as bad as i'm expecting.

NOW - what will I do with my hair - you have this redhead thinking of a permanet!
I am so happy for you thank you to tell us about it.