Picturing Myself with Picture Perfect Lashes - Houston, TX

Hi, I'm Vinnie, short for Vanessa. I've been...

Hi, I'm Vinnie, short for Vanessa. I've been stalking this site for a while and finally decided to make a profile. I anticipate making several enhancements this year (inside and out) and my recovery from general illness is what inspires me.

My girlfriend was very vocal in her curiosity this week about why I bother to put on makeup. She says I don't need it. And as I told her, I love makeup and how it can be used to accentuate certain features. Especially the eyes ;)
Do I even need to mention longer eyelashes make the eye even more beautiful?

It's because of the fine baby-like hairs that crawl from the follicles of my lids that make me want to grow longer lashes. In the past, I've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on false eyelashes and I've even kept a few dollars in my pocket by learning to apply individual lashes myself.
Sometimes your natural lashes get taken with the false ones and a spa habit can get expensive. Soooo, after reading several reviews, I decided to give Latisse a try.
(Sorry about the photo quality. All photos were taken with a webcam)

I am scheduled to see my dermatologist September 24th. Wish me luck!

Just checking in. Since my last post, I've been...

Just checking in. Since my last post, I've been using Peter Thomas Roth Lashes To Die For, a product that I picked up from Sephora. I've seen a small but noticeable difference after 3 weeks. If you use the system (serum, mascara, and eyeliner) it comes out to be more expensive than Latisse. I am scheduled to see my dermatologist on the 24th of this month and I'm excited.

Extentions are great! They look amazing and there is no need to use mascara, you can wash your face in 24 hours just fine, the only problem is they damage your eyelashes. so when you take of your extentions, get ready for a surprise.
I've read some really helpful reviews and have decided to pick up a smaller brush for application. I guess it's the waiting game for now ;)

Yep, I'll be looking forward to hearing how your first application goes. :)

Ah, less than 2 weeks now! Did you pick up a smaller brush to apply it with, or are you going to use the brushes they supply?

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I have been using Latisse since April and I absolutely love love LOVE it! My lashes are amazing! I'm not even done with my first bottle yet and I'm super happy with the results. Get it ASAP so you can get results ASAP!! Hope you're as happy as I am!
Thanks Summer! I can't wait to try it out :D
I've been using Latisse for over a year and I LOVE it. it is expensive but i think totally worth it--FYI if you don't want to wait for the dermatologist you can frequently get a perscription from an eye doctor and they don't usually have the long wait time for appointments. good luck and if you're ever in mexico buy it there--way cheaper!
Great tip, jenrgee!
That reminds me, I need some new contact lenses, and I want to try the Air Optix. I should schedule an appointment soon! :D
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Brandy, at first, I had the same problem with my natural lashes coming out. Over time I learned how to remove the false lashes without damaging my natural lashes and I switched to a milder makeup remover as well.
I've never heard of this, but a simple conditioning mascara on top of the extensions really helped me a lot.

I'm wondering why you are waiting to see your dermatologist? Appointment wise. I also get it from my dermatologist, but I just walk into the office, say I'm there to grab some latisse, they grab it for me and I pay and leave. It's now OTC, so it's not like you need a prescription. :) If I were you, I'd go to the office and grab some, then use it for a few months. That way, when your appointment rolls around in September, you can discuss any issues with the product (if you have any) at your appointment then, Most people do experience some sort of side effect. I just had really red eyelids, but my dermatologist gave me some cream for that. I would not hesitate to do it all again! Enjoy your super long lashes!!!

I was surprised when I read that Latisse was now available OTC, so I posted this Q&A to see if I had somehow missed the big news.

Is Latisse Sold Without a Prescription, over the Counter Now?

In Dr. F. Victor Rueckl's answer he mentions, "...you must have a prescription to get it from a pharmacy, or purchase it directly from a physician's office that has a dispensing license."

I'm assuming your dermatologist has a dispensing license and since you are a patient of theirs they are willing to dispense to you.

I am pretty sure its illegal to sell it without prescription...
Hi prettyhatemachine (couldn't help myself hehe) Thank you for your comment. Sorry about the delayed response, I haven't been to the site in a while.
I recently switched insurance and had to schedule a new patient appointment with my dermatologist. I wish it was OTC here otherwise I'd hardly wait 2 weeks let alone two months. :)
I did, however, find a couple of products that have awesome reviews and do not require a prescription. I have not tried them yet as I wasn't sure about mixing products.

A little over 2 months till your appointment - are you finding it hard to be patient in that time? I always find once I decide I want to do something I want it done right away, haha!

I'll be very interested to hear how the expense for Latisse stacks up compared to the expense of the extensions.

I have never had eyelash extensions. I'm assuming you would have to be somewhat careful when you wash your face or you could remove them, is that correct?

I'm feeling a mixture of excitement, doubt, and maybe a lil anxiety lol.
When I want something, I go after it until I either get it or decide it's not worth the effort.

I called my local pharmacy and found out that my insurance does not cover cosmetic products and was quoted $119.99
Putting the individual lashes on myself saves me the most money as I can just buy lashes in bulk on E-Bay for much of nothing.

I used to be a full time spa chick. I'm talking- lived there 2 times a week. Then one day I had a sudden yet striking realization- Why am I spending so much money on stuff that I could learn to do myself??
I do my own hair and gel nails but doing everything yourself can be time consuming especially when you're still learning technique.

I thinking I might just be able to deal with the application of only once a night to grow and maintain lovely lashes. ;)
Eek! There's no option to edit comments.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about aftercare and eyelash extensions.
I've heard some complain of eyelashes falling out immediately and some that don't have that issue.
I've personally experienced both- it just depends on where you go to get them done.

I'm very careful when washing my face. I don't use any products that would mess with the eyelash adhesive.
I go around the eyes gently as I would without lashes. I use that Kiss My Face stuff, and it's a really gentle soap, so that's what works for me.