Bikini Area Burned by Laser Hair Removal: Make Educated Decision if You Are OLIVE or DARKER Tones - Houston, TX

Though I am fortunate that my burns are minimal...

Though I am fortunate that my burns are minimal compared to others I do want to share so that other make more educated decision than I did by trusting a tech to "know" what she was doing. I hold her responsible for not asking me questions about how my body reacts to the sun and assuming that we are all cookie cutter people.

Underarms:
I went to get underarm done and they have turned out ok, I did notice fleckels and my underarms look shaved, I mean that the color is grayish and not even toned with the rest of arm. Before procedure I always waxed and color was even toned. I know it doesn't same amount of sun but I noticed the diff.

Bikini and upper lip
I have w EASILY. Scars don't resolve very well on my skin either. The upper lip didnt hurt much but 2 days later I noticed that I had hyperpigmented and it looks like I have a brown maxed for year but finally grew tired of it and went for my first session 2 weeks ago. I was foolish enough to do this in a haste that I didn't consider that my skin is hypersensitive and tends to get freckles/sun spotsustache WORSE than a hair one that I can remove! I already had a few sparse fleckles on upper lip but now it looks like a mustache and it may not be noticeable to most BUT IT IS TO ME. Maybe the heat setting was to high.

As for my Bikini...it hurt like hell she said it was no worse than waxing, not true. She did a bit of my inner thigh too and I wanted to cry, that was the worst. I was foolish in not voicing my pain maybe she would have turned the heat down. It turned red immediately then dark brown by the next day. BTW the laser gave me PMS cramps for a few days, some may try to refute my claim but it happened.

I can clearly see 3 or 4 diff shades of brown on me where she positioned the laser, some areas are still my natural color sine the laser didn't touch them. I have a 5o'clock shadow then all the browns overlap. Not sure why but it really freaks me out that it may not go back to my normal skin tone. I would rather be hairy. I may sound calmish but I am a wreck, I did this to myself and REGRET enormously. It is playing with my mind b/c I don't feel comfortable with the outcome. I will give it time but I will not do this again. That was my first and last sessions, now I will request a refund.

Takeaway: PLEASE CONSIDER THIS FOR YOURSELF AS YOU MAKE DECISIONS
- DO A TEST SPOT. Not all body areas will react the same.
- Consider how your skin reacts in sun and to scarring.
- ASK WHAT SKIN TYPE she considers you and you can also tell her your concerns if you have sensitve skin..dark skin doesn't mean that it resist more than light skin.
- ASK WHAT SETTING THE MACHINE IS ON.
-Ask them to start at a LOW SETTING then work your way up. I would have prefer that the first treatment not me as effective than what I am going thru.
-ENSURE YOUR TECH is experienced, don;t be afraid of asking. IT'S YOUR HEALTH AND BODY. You're paying.

I will update in a few weeks.

I went today to request a refund on the remaining...

I went today to request a refund on the remaining sessions (I bought packages) and was refunded for treatments that I will not receive. I am glad that they were very helpful about refunding me completely with exception of the treatments I had already received.

As usual, they told me it will clear up "completely". I really want to believe it but.... Who in the cosmetic industry wants to admit that there is a possibility of it not changing? They told me to purchase a bleaching cream that they sell, it contains 4% hydroquinone but I am not sure b/c of the controversy that surrounds it.

The laser used was Gentle Yag with 18/18 setting. A tech told me that it was very uncommon for this to happen though I am skeptical.
Aesthetic and laser center

Compared to DermSUrgery where I had my arms lasered, They are not very professional, they didn't even ask if I was on medication or pregnant or any of that. I just signed my life away. They are quick to take your money.

I've only had 1 full bikini session and I also noticed cramping and back pain. Reading your review confirmed it is from the treatment. I also agree the pain is much, much worse than waxing. Like hot wax slapped on your skin. It did help to ask them to pause in between once the pain was intolerable.
Has your hyper-pigmentation in the bikini area disappeared ?
OMG :( i am so scared now :(. My first session went really good and this second session yesterday was a NIGHTMARE. I see brown patches on my legs. I seriously dont know what to do and they are not responding back my calls.
Has anyone ever had the dark birthmark like spots side effect and it ever go away? It's been almost three weeks for me and I am worried.
Yes that was me above you. The Esthetician never mentioned before zapping me that this would happen. I am using a bleaching lotion twice a day and its going away. Or use elicina this works as well.
I'm a Master Esthetician and I'm sorry to inform you that a lot of your issue with the laser has come from the waxing before the treatment. An area should NEVER be waxed or plucked before a laser treatment because the entire purpose of the treatment is to target the hair under the skin. The area needs to be shaved before treatment, but the hair needs to remain under the skin for the laser to take effect. You were burned because the laser was targeting the skin because there was no darker pigment (the hair) for it to target instead. Your technician should have told you all this and asked if you had waxed. They should have made sure that you didn't, and for that, they are to be held responsible. But as for the treatment itself, the laser needs the hair to be present or all it can burn is your skin.
I must admit I did not look into treatment on my bikin line prior to treatment. I have had my belly and underarms done by the same tech & have been very please. However the bikini line as of last Saturday. I have the results of burn mark my skin is just now starting to peal. I am some what scared of scaring and plan to call my technician today. I was not inform of possible burn mark or pealing skin. It almost look like very dark birth mark. It's very unattractive and my husband is not happy. I can only hope it is not permanent.
I have hyper-pigmentation due to laser. Will hyper-pigmentation due to laser disappear completely?

Hi gardeniian, gardeniian, Since you stopped LHR treatment, has your hair in the bikini area grown back in a way that looks "natural", i.e. not patchy ?

Hi there, welcome and thanks for sharing your experience with us. Have you been able to speak to your provider at all and get their opinion on the burns you seem to have experienced?