206 to 165 Lbs and Kept It Off But... - Houston, TX

I had this done in 2010. I was really sick with...

I had this done in 2010. I was really sick with diabetes and I couldn't' lose any weight and the Lap Band was fantastic for my immediate needs. I lost quite a bit of weight pretty easily, my diabetes actually went away, and overall I lost about 40lbs. I would really have liked to lose another 20lbs, but it just won't go and I find it incredible that my Dr. would tell me that it must be my diet ---- When the diet I've been using worked for the first 40lbs, why would it just stop being good enough?

I have not gained any weight back though in the couple of years since, and I am really grateful about that. I still have good restriction, I eat much, much slower and I make much better food choices. That being said, I would still like to lose that 20lbs.
Dr. Felix Spiegel

After seeing Dr. Spiegel recently to discuss this - I have to say I would never recommend this doctor. I'm fine. The surgery went fine. The band is fine. He's competent. But I have to say it feels like a cattle drive through his office. They must schedule people in like 10 minute increments. When you get there they store us all in a pen to wait for our name to be called. There's 15 - 20 of us in a back room and as soon as one of the 3 patient rooms come open they pull one of us out, weigh us, x-ray us and stick us in. You get maybe 3 minutes with Dr. Felix (whom really could not care any less) and then you're spit out. It's a well oiled machine, but it's so yucky and he really doesn't care about the human aspect of it all. Maybe that's the norm for doctors that do this type of procedure. If you are considering doing it - the procedure costs a lot of money, whether its privately paid or paid by your insurance. Obviously pick someone with the right credentials, but also if you can... pick somebody that genuinely cares about the people and their outcomes.

I had a similar experience. I lost 70 lbs fairly quickly (I could easily lose another 100) and no more weight loss. Diet was still good; exercised six days a week, but nothing. It's been five years now and there's been no more weight loss. Very frustrating. Now I'm having bad reflux and vomiting. I have an appointment in two weeks fir an xray to see if it had slipped. I almost hope it has. I don't recommend the lap band. If this tour of surgery is what you want, go with the bypass.
I have the same experience with my doctor. My lap band has stopped working after 5 years. He really could care less about my problem. The office visit is the same experience as you.
How does the lap band stop working?
Hi there, welcome and thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far, that's a great achievement. Can I ask, do you exercise at all, with your new eating regime?