Upper Eyelids - SO Happy with the Results! - Houston, TX

This is something I've wanted to do since my mid...

This is something I've wanted to do since my mid 30s (I'm 47 now). I have quite a few family members on both sides who have droopy eyelids, and by my mid 30s I started seeing the same thing. By my 40s, I didn't look the same in pictures. My eyelids weighed down my eyes so much I couldn't wear makeup, my peripheral vision was being affected, and my lids would even sweat in the Houston heat. It also made me feel "tired" and less perky.

I spent years researching the procedure and interviewing doctors, but I held off because I wasn't quite sure I wanted to do something so drastic and risky. Last summer I met with an oculoplastic surgeon here in Houston, and after meeting with him, I made the decision to schedule the surgery. Once I did that, I spend hours on this site researching, reading reviews, and looking at before and after pictures.

My procedure was on December 19, 2012 and I took two weeks off over the holidays to heal and hopefully get rid of my bruising and swelling before I went back to work. I was all prepared. I had my bags of frozen peas, my arnica pills and cream, a recliner, and a neighbor to take me to and from the surgeon's office.

The procedure itself was completely painless, which amazed me. I had it done with a local anesthetic, and the doctor and his assistant made the whole thing very comfortable for me. Afterwards, my neighbor drove me home and I hung out on a recliner for 3 or 4 days. There was a tiny bit of post-surgery aching, but that lasted an hour and didn't even warrant getting up off the recliner to get my Tylenol. I reclined back with ice packs on my eyes, and slept there at night as well. The worst of my swelling started around day 2 and lasted until about day 4. After that the swelling was gone and the bruising set in. The bruising didn't bother me too much, as I knew what to expect. I used warm compresses as much as possible, which may or may not have helped. I really couldn't tell. By the time I got back to work on January 7, the bruising was down enough where I could cover the remainder up with makeup.

Since then, my eyes have healed, the bruising is gone, and I'm ECSTATIC with the results. I couldn't have dreamed of a more perfect outcome. Last weekend I went to Sephora and dropped $100 on new eye makeup. My eyes look younger, more refreshed, and best of all I don't have to use my forehead muscles to hold my eyelids up any more. Consequently, the wrinkles I was getting because of doing that have softened a bit.

In closing, I recommend using an oculoplastic surgeon for this procedure if you can find one. Please feel free to private message with if you have any other questions.

Houston Oculoplastic Surgeon

I had my initial consultation with Dr. Soparkar and his assistant Wanda 5 months before my scheduled surgery. They both spent a good amount of time with me answering questions, and explaining the procedure step-by-step. His assistant had recently had the same procedure, so she provided some great information. Based on this doctor's experience, education, and knowledge, I decided to get the procedure done after we met, even though I had been on the fence about it for years. I felt very confident that I would get a positive outcome.

Your eyes look so PRETTY and very natural!! I'm so glad you had a good experience! Thank you so much for sharing!! This website has been so helpful and so informative as I have researched several different procedures. I'm scheduled for upper and lower bleph in Dec 2013. I'm having it done over the holidays as well, so I can hide out and recover by the first of next year. I hope my results are as wonderful as yours!! Again, thanks for sharing, especially the pictures. It is very helpful to those of us researching on here!!
Hi Tabithanash! Thanks for the kind comments above. Good luck with your procedure! I wish you the same great results. Please keep me posted on how it goes.
Hi luvsdogs! Ur eyes look wonderful! Natural no scars! Just rejuvenated:-D thank u for sharing!!
You are fortunate. My eyes look awful after 5 months-uneven...one is droopy... Nightmare!!
You look amazing! I had my blepharoplasty last summer and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself. Isn't it pleasant putting eyeshadow on now?!! :-)
Thanks Shell! I totally agree with you, it really was the best thing I've ever done, and YES, wearing eye makeup is so much fun now! Thanks for your nice comments. :-)
You look great and glad to hear you had such a positive experience!  It's good you also mentioned the healing time as well.  A lot of research I initially did said about 10 days healing and you can go back to work no problem.  I feel like this estimate is not for the "average" patient, more like I hear realistically that it takes 3-4 weeks for post op bruising/swelling.  I had no idea it would take longer and didn't take enough time off of work and had emotional anxiety waiting so much longer than I had expected to for the healing to go through its process.  You were very smart to do a lot of research too and wait until you were ready and comfortable to do it!
Hi Scottsdale1247, thanks very much! It was a big, scary step for me to do this surgery so yes, I spent years researching it. Sorry you had to go through so much anxiety! That must have been rough. I hope you're feeling better about it now. :-)

Wow! What great pictures! Thank you for sharing your experience! I will need eyelid surgery when I am in my 60's if I am anything like my entire family. And I have never really cared for the shape of my eyelids. No that I am exposed to hundreds of eyelid photos, Q &A, and Reviews on RealSelf, I am giving it more serious thought. Your review/story is very very helpful. Thanks again!

Kym E

Hi KymE, thanks for your nice comments, I'm glad my review was helpful. I don't think you'll regret this as long as you do thorough research on the right doctor. Please message me if you need any more info. :-)
Was removing the stitches painful?? Looks GREAT btw
Hi, thanks so much! I have to laugh at your question because I was quite worried about this when the time came. I read a few comments on the forum here that it was painful. However, when I went back to the doc the following week, they numbed my eyes up with the same numbing cream that they used during my surgery, so I knew I wouldn't be feeling a thing, which was true. So, to answer your question, I felt no pain at all when they removed my stitches. If you get this done, just be sure to ask them to numb them a little if they're still tender. :-)
When he removed my stitches they didn't apply a thing so it was painful as hell. I even bleed from some of the stitches he was savage! It was a terrible experience
Oh I can't imagine that! I hope people who read this conversation will remember to ask their doctors to numb their eyes for stitch removal then. I didn't ask, so I just got lucky!
Definitely, n let me tell you that this forum really helps others to make better decisions n choose better n honest surgeons! Thank you very much for sharing your experience n also showing pictures! I hope more people do the same as you did!
Yes, this whole website has been a great resource. I don't think I could have done this without all the information from the reviews and forums. You're very welcome. Thanks for the kind words Mely. :-)
Did it hurt to take out the stitches?
I don't think it typically "hurts" much to get the stitches out, there are usually some knots with short ends sticking out along the incision and it is clipped-for me it was quick and painless.  It felt so much better without them in, my incisions were getting slightly inflamed and irritated by them in fact bc they were trying so hard to heal.  Feels way better after!
Wow! ur eyes look great! You did ur homework by searching ur surgeon n, he really knew how to do his job. Thank God for this honest surgeons that know how to their job.
Hi, thanks for your nice comment Mely. Yes, it took me several years of research, and interviewing several doctors before I found the right one.
They look great! What do the scars look like? are they very visable?
Thank you! The scars are very minimal, as the incisions were made in the crease of my eyelid. I wear a tiny bit of concealer on my left eye, as the outer part of the scar is slightly red. I can't tell any work was done at all unless I close one of my eyes and look closely.
Wow! Your eyes look great!
Thanks very much! :-)