Cancer and Reconstruction - Houston, TX

This was my 4th occurance of breast cancer which...

This was my 4th occurance of breast cancer which had to be a mastectomy and reconstruction. Long process as I experienced recurring fluid and tubes had to be reinserted four times which is very uncomfortable and painful at times. The fluid insertion was delayed because of the fluid drainage so the expansion of the skin could not begin as soon as surgery was completed. It has taken many many weeks of fluid, removal of the expander, surgical removal of excess fat and skin underarm and 11 months later I am scheduling some final surgery for the nipple and overall appearance. Unless you have ample insurance, lots of patience and love your surgeon, you should not do this procedure.

Thank you for sharing your story on RealSelf! You sound like you have the patience of a saint. Glad to hear you have made it through the most difficult parts and are honing in on the finishing touches. Congrads on conquering that cancer again...you're amazing!

Houston Plastic Surgeon

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my doctor and his entire staff. I could not have made it through this tedious, aggravating, often painful, lack of patience ordeal without Dr. Schusterman, scheduling, attending RN, receptionist and clinical assistants. They are the BEST and all very good at their position. I do not have a completed reconstruction, but am told by qualified persons that it looks good, I have done well and will be pleased. I'll write another review when we are complete!!!