I Do Not Recommend - Houston, Texas

I did this to remove brown spots on my cheeks...

I did this to remove brown spots on my cheeks after Retin A was not successful. This was a painful process in many different ways. The application of the peel was a 9/10. The recovery was very uncomfortable and painful at times. Could barely eat, yawning and laughing hurt. I was on house arrest for 5 days and looked like a burn victim. I had no idea this was going to be so uncomfortable and so ugly for so many days. I do have pink skin now with less discolorations, but the main issues were the spots on the cheeks, which after this whole ordeal are stlll there, though less noticeable.

The process was not sufficiently explained. If I had known how much was involved, I would not have done it.

5 days is not that long for down time with a medical peel You must remember that it takes at least 8 days to grow a new stratum cornium and I'm sure it at least tool all of that off
Hi Sam, It's spelled stratum corneum and you don't grow this layer of cells, its the outermost layer of the skin that consists dead cells. This is layer of cells that helps prevents dehydration, in the process of skin cell turnover of the epidermis. Just FYI. And the turnover process is about 14-15 days, not 8 days.

It is always such a bummer when you go through a procedure with so much down time, then don't see the changes you were hoping for. Did the person who did the peel offer other treatment choices, or was this the only consideration for your brown spots?

I did retin A and obagi clear for about 4 months. When that didnt work, she said, "you need a chemical peel, that will do it." So no other options were mentioned.

Since I'm not sure what kind of provider you were seeing, if it is still something that bothers you I'd recommend making an appointment with a board certified dermatologist in your area. Hopefully they can direct you to a good treatment that will show some good results.