Worried About the Way It Looks - Houston, TX

I'm 43 years old, wanted a tummy tuck for ~13...

I'm 43 years old, wanted a tummy tuck for ~13 years, finally had one on 9/9/11. My concerns are, I'm not flat like I thought I would be. I'm not sure if there is still swelling or did the Dr. not tighten me enough? I was told by my Dr. that lipo in the belly could not be done at the same time of tuck because of blood flow, should have he done lipo to give me the flat belly I've dreamed about? Have I given it enough time for the final results? It's puffy abovethe scar. Please help, I literally lose sleep over this!

It's really hard for me to give rate my doctor at this time. If I end up with the results I've dreamed of, he will get 5 stars! I will be glad to post the 2 photos I have.

I agree. It's too soon to tell. Healing can take up to a year for final results. Hang in there and give it time. I can't imagine having lipo on top of muscle repair so I'm glad they don' t usually do that. Hang in there. you are only 2 months out. And post some pics so we can see your results.

Welcome to RealSelf!

You are going to have swelling for a long while.  I think it's too soon to make a final decision.  Mine took up to 7 months for the swelling to all be gone.  I would get really puffy bu mid to late day and it was frustrating.  Give it some time and I bet you will be happy.

The one thing I did was kept a pre op and post op picture side by side.  When you look at that you will realize how much you really have changed.  That helped me keep in the right frame of mind.

Please keep us up to date on how you are doing.

Kimmers that is a great idea with the pre and post op photos. I should probably consider doing that myself. Sometimes we lose perspective.
There is probably still a great deal of swelling. It's true that you are not supposed to be able to lipo the front of the stomach, but you can attack the flanks (sides/back). I think how flat you are eventually will also depend on your weight and condition of your stomach pre-op. I had quite a pudgy stomach, so I'm not expecting a washboard. I can tell that my hourglass has improved, though, and the roll below my belly button is history. I'm happy with that. Hope you start seeing what you want soon.