Dr. Brueggen, Houston...all on Four - Houston, TX

I had my all on four procedure done two days ago....

I had my all on four procedure done two days ago. Actually, I had an extra implant and 6 bone grafts too. No pain. I haven't taken as much as a tylenol. A little swelling today, and one tiny bruise. I probably could have found a less expensive doctor, but he had such great reviews and I felt very comfortable with him.

I also had about 15 teeth pulled. I am not sure...

I also had about 15 teeth pulled. I am not sure how many teeth I had. I had a fixed bridge and some crowns and a couple of teeth that were broken off and he had to remove the roots.

I am 9 days past having my implants done, and so...

I am 9 days past having my implants done, and so far, so good. The swelling is gone. I had one small bruise at the corner of my mouth, and it is faded almost completely. I still haven not had to take anything for pain....nothing over the counter or prescribed. I was told I can eat anything I can cut with a fork, but no biting with my front teeth like eating pizza or a sandwich. Nothing hard like nuts. So, my diet hasn't been as restricted as I thought it would be. Dr. Brueggen told me it was very important to maintain a good quality diet. I will be going back for a check up next week, and I am looking forward to hearing that I am healing well. So far, this has been easy. I do think motivation plays into it and I was extremely motivated to get this done.

I went for my first check up today. They gave...

I went for my first check up today. They gave me two water piks and some little brushes and a floss threader and told me how to clean my teeth. Dr. Brueggen looked at my gums but didn't remove the "appliances". They will remove them and clean them, the next time I go back, in February. I had been told to only eat foods that I could cut with a fork, so I have been very careful about chewing but was told, it was okay to chew, as long as I don't eat really hard or sharp foods or bite with my front teeth. So, I haven't found the diet to be very restrictive at all. Still extremely pleased with the results.

I went for my 3 mo. check up a few days ago. I...

I went for my 3 mo. check up a few days ago. I was thinking he'd have to take out the arches, but they didn't. They cleaned them and took x rays. Dr. Brueggen said they look great and to keep on doing what I am doing....which is keeping them clean. No problems at all so far, and they feel perfectly natural. I have gotten many compliments on them.

\

Wax try in

Went for wax try in today. Not pleased on many levels. Go back on the 30th for second one. Dr. Brueggen wasn't in the room for the try in, and I wish he was so he could address the problems, so when I go back, I will be certain he is there before they do it. I feel sure he will take care of it, but having it come out so very wrong has made me very edgy.
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

I researched this for 3 years. I read everything I could find on the internet, every video on Vimeo and Youtube. I saw him on the Wellness Hour and he impressed me with his compassion and the fact that he seemed very down to earth and someone I could feel comfortable with. I will post a picture later.

Byugal How are you? It has been awhile since you post. I hope everything went well for you getting your finals done.
Hi Byugal. Thank you for sharing you experience. I am happy to know that someone had this procedure done and not encounter any problems after a year. I have read SO many bad reviews on the implants and the material used. I have an appointment for next month to see about getting 4 implants at Clear Choice but I am afraid now. It was reported that 57people had developed health problems from the titanium metal used. They reported symptoms of muscle ache, inflammation of the gums, tissue and joints, chronic fatigue, neurologic problems and cancer. I am confused. I thought titanium is bio-compatible? I read a article that titanium metal releases toxic ions in the body which can cause problems with the immune system. I was hoping you can help ease some of my fear. Have you had any problems thus far? Have you experienced any strange symptoms? I don't mean to sound crazy, just trying to gain as much info as possible. Thanks!
No, not at all. I haven't heard anything about this, but I am going today and will ask Dr. Brueggen about it. I don't tend to be allergic to anything....not even poison ivy and I have no allergies...like hay fever. Haven't been sick or even had a cold in years. So, no change in my health. I will report back after I talk to him today.
I am glad to hear everything is going well for you. Thank you so much as that brings some ease to my fears. please do keep me inform. thanks!
I talked to Dr. Brueggen about this yesterday and he told me that titanium is inert and is used in lots of different surgeries. He said he had no knowledge of any problems but maybe fifty years down the line we may find out more than we know right now. I thought that was kind of an odd answer. I am not allergic to anything....not even poison ivy (knock on wood....I live in an ocean of it) and I am not very worried about having an allergic reaction to it. I admit, I am not crazy about the idea of having anything "implanted" in my body....but I am going for a knee replacement...hopefully soon...and I guess some things are just worth the risk. Some people are very sensitive to various metals....I do know that, so I guess if I had trouble, for example, wearing some jewelry or watches, I might think I might be allergic to other metals, but so far, not. Too, my teeth were so bad....I would take the risk, even if I knew there was some....because it has made the quality of my life so much better. Dr. Brueggen asked me if I would be interviewed for a video about my experiences with the all on four, and I said yes. Went in last week. After I left, I thought of some more things I wish I had mentioned, and that is just how much differently people treat you when you have nice teeth....as opposed when you have really bad teeth. Well, I am sure a person with good teeth, has more self confidence and that carries over in other areas of your life, but I know it has made me feel a lot more free-er in engaging people in conversation, and I am a whole lot more happier. Oh....and one thing...not connected to teeth, but to my bucket list. I wanted to get my teeth fixed....that was number 1. But, one of the other things was to buy myself a mule. Yes....a mule. You read that right. I am the proud owner of My Sabrina. http://i42.tinypic.com/vscjk1.jpg
ByuGal, I am sorry thaou were not happy! I hope that you will receive exactly what you want! I find that there are many issues with how we look after, especially lip line, fullness of lips. I still have temps, and my upper lip is not as full as it used to be and I definitely want that fixed.
I am going today for my 3rd try in. I am much more pleased. I had them bring it out a little, which gave me back my lip line. Dr. Brueggen tries very hard to make you happy, and I feel certain that by the time we are finished, I will be.
Byugal, I totally understand with all the time and money spent you want the perms to be exactly what you want. Keep in mind they will feel differently than your temps because of the change in your gum line plus they will seat much closer to the gum than your temps. Also I wanted to share with you that you may experience some minor soreness since the torq is much tighter on the perms I took a few aspirin and I was fine the next day. To be honest I would have thought you would have had your perms much sooner since you had your procedure done in November, I had mine done in Feburary. Keep strong and I know things will work out fine for you.
I was very unhappy with how they looked. I never really was consulted very much on how I wanted them to look. I had said I wanted them to look like the temps. They are much too white for my old face. The the are very small and flat....I have a good lip line with the temps....not so with the perms. They are very aging. I had to delay mine because my husband had kidney surgery. Then I went for the impression to have the titanium bar made and I think they forgot about me. I didn't hear from them for over two months. Then I made an appointment and it was another month to get in.
I had to call them back then....or I guess I'd still be waiting. That kind of tee'd me off, right there. But, I haven't had any problems with the temps, so waiting wasn't all bad. I can get used to anything. I don't think I ought to be biting the inside of my cheek though.
Byugal, Hang in there, I just received my permanent implants two days ago and although the process is long as your well aware of (8 months for myself) I had to go back twice on my wax try in's. I couldn't be more pleased with the finished implants and the sensation of biting and chewing normally again was well worth the time and investment.
Thank you, Charles, for the encouragement. I called and have an appt. to talk to Dr. Brueggen on Monday. I wanted to get his input before they went any farther because the teeth are wrong on every account. Snow white, very small, no lip line, biting the inside of my cheek. I know Dr. Brueggen will make it right. I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page, when it came to making them over. I don't want to be a pain in the butt, but the temps look so good and I am so happy with them, I expected the perms to look at least that good. I wasn't quite prepared for how bad I looked in them.
Update - actually I need to retract a statement that I made. I do not love my teeth. I like the color and the fact that I'm not slurring. The teeth themselves are hideous. It does not show in the photo but they aged me by years and years. My post review was suppose to be published but I have not seen it yet. I have been an emotional wreak and not enjoying any thing about my post op face. A resolution is in progress but not fast enough to suit me.
I've been offline for a little over a week....so I am just now reading about your procedure. This site is a little hard for me to navigate...I have a hard time finding things here. Anyway, I am so sorry you aren't pleased with your teeth. I haven't gotten my permanent ones yet, but if they looked just like the temps, I would be pleased. I have gotten so many compliments on them. I take it that Dr. Golpa does things a little differently than most of the other All on 4 dentists. Evidently he places the permanent teeth the second day? I received my temps the day my teeth were pulled and implants placed. I didn't have any say in what they would look like...because since it is all done in a day, you don't have much say about the temporaries but I have been told that he will make them any way I want the perms to be. I do hope you get satisfaction and resolution and another set made the way you want them. This has been so stressful for you....I am sorry you are having to go through this.
Hi byugal I am glad to hear it was a success for you. I am planning on going threw with this in july. Very nervous. I keep hear no pain from people which is good. My questions is is there any movement at all with the inplants holding the denture bridge while you are eating and talking. Do they feel as strong like having your own teeth. .I guess by now you have your permanent ones in :)
Hi Byu - I just finished my review on my procedure. I'm told it will be posted tomorrow. Thank you for all your insight and help. You have no idea how much your words got me through this along with tottcatering. I love my new teeth and guess what - no slurring right out of the gate. I guess that's somewhat unusual in most cases. I have some swelling but using ice packs. My surgery went twice as long than expected - 9 hours. But everything came out well. My post explains why. I was groggy when I got home. Drank some juice and had some lukewarm soup and went to bed with and ice pack on my face. I woke up starving but had no teeth so I had Ensure and pudding to tie me over till I got my teeth. I came home and ate first thing. I feel so much better now-LOL. My husband was a wreak and broke down hours later after I got my teeth. He was so worried and spent. You must know he's this "Biker tough" perceived personal and soft as a kitten inside. It actually touched me that he thought he was going to lose me with the poison my gums were emitting into my system. Which was one of the reasons the doctor moved me up in his schedule so quickly. Poison is all gone now. And the antibiotics are working well. I feel so much better.
Thanks for Responding back
Hi Byu - I decided to come to your site and write today instead of stringing out Phillip's. ;) Today is the day. They have a driver picking me up at 6:40am (p.t.). I could not sleep last night and tossed and turned for hours. Maybe got one solid hour in there. I felt a little more relaxed after I spoke to them yesterday so I thought I'd get sleep to no avail. Par for course I guess. I just wanted to thank you again for your support. I know I'll get my sleep today during the procedure and after. :)
Hi Byugal, I am going to do my full mouth dental implants in the future,I hope to find a very good dentist to do that for me.I just saw your post and your are quite happy with your dental implants and your dentist seems great! Would you mind tell me the contact details about your doctor : Dr.Wayne Brueggen and the clinic address in Houston?Please email it to me,my email is annielovecanada@gmail.com.Thank you very much! Annie
Annie, I don't know how I missed seeing this until now. Yes, it is Dr. Brueggen in Houston. His webpage is nodentures.com. But I will also email you tomorrow. I apologize for not seeing this sooner.
Byugal, I'm a bit jealous I had this procedure done 3 weeks ago and have been told I'll be on this soft no chewing diet for possibly six months, it can be a bit overwhelming if I think about it too much I just try and stay busy but it's tough.
believe me you will find ways when you get hungry enough, also you should be past the just yogurt, puddings etc etc only. You can eat soft chicken, soft fresh veggies cooked, like broccoli boiled about 6 minutes, rice, pasta,. Basically things you can cut with a fork. Just think about for a little bit you'll come up with lot's of ideas, especially when you get hungry enough. At first you get a mind block but slowly it starts unblocking. I let my raisin bran cereal sit an extra minute. When I think back I think I was thinking like you. One morning I just had to have toast with butter, so I let it sit in mouth till I felt it was soft enough and then used some chewing to get it down.....Remember!!! If you can cut it with a fork!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for your response, it's very helpful hearing from others who have undergone this procedure.
I was thinking I would be on a very soft diet for six months too, and I was kind of surprised when they told me anything that I could cut with a fork. I was talking to Dr. Brueggen and since we own shrimp boats and he worked on a shrimp boat when he was a teen, he told me I could eat fish, shrimp, oysters....and I eat a lot of chicken and tenderized beef cutlets. He said it is very important to maintain a good diet. Actually, I was sort of looking forward to having a restricted diet....thinking it would be a good time to go on a diet and lose a few pounds, but since I can eat almost anything I want, the "diet idea" has fallen by the wayside.
I have my last weekly checkup later this week and I will ask both my dentist and oral surgeon why the no chew soft diet and get better clarification, it could be due to some bone grafting that had to be done or perhaps due to pulling all my teeth (28) not real sure. Thank you for sharing your experience.