Need Advice - After 2 IPLs, Blemishes Are Worse Than Before

My experience was very painful and so far I am...

My experience was very painful and so far I am extremely worried about my possible results. I have gotten new blemishes and my old ones are just as dark as when I started. I need advice as I do not know whether to pay for two more sessions as originally planned. Please ADVISE.

I first had my first IPL treatment on Nov 4th I then had the second one on Dec 15th since then I have gotten new and darker spots and my old ones are still the same. Both treatments were EXTREMELY painful and I got blisters from the first one. What can I now expect? I still have two more treatments to go but I am very worried as to my outcome.

All, I had IPL and Matrix IR from a very qualified tech who had done thousands of treatments and knew what she was doing. IPL for sunspots and Matrix IR for fine lines. I only had 1 treatment at the most conservative settings and it has been the worst nightmare of my life... more hollowing under my eyes, possible fat loss under my eyes and in my cheeks, loss of elasticity, and more fine lines than before. Also, my texture is worse. Some sun damage spots went away and I had nice even toned skin, but I looked so "drawn" with sagging skin that I couldn't bear to show my face. Its now been 4 months since treatment and things have improved but still not as good as before IPL and Matrix. I have also noticed my vision is worse...I wore the eye goggles but I am wondering if IPL damaged my eyes. My point is that I had the treatment done by someone very capable but had bad results. You just dont know how your skin is going to react. I highly recommend not getting any IPL, Matrix, or any laser treatments. Stop trying to be perfect and go enjoy life.
Thank you Lori for your response. I am glad you agree that we were over treated which is what caused the damage. I just wish all doctors and nurses would admit this to us, so that we may find some closure, instead of being told there is nothing wrong with us, IPL couldn't have done This, and they leave us to suffer with out any help. Again, thank you. CArla
Well the hyperpigmentation can be treated with skin brighteners and or lighteners, or you can use something like Azelaic acid that blocks tyrosinase, an enzyme that binds the melanocyte. You do have to be careful though and monitor your skin for reaction sensitivity. Believe it or not an IPL if done correctly can help with the pigment too and the broken capillaries. If there is collagen and elastin repair needed, it sounds like you must have been really overtreated. Fractional lasers can help remodel tissue. I know you are apprehensive about lasers, but in the right hands, as you say, they do work. Protect your skin from UV rays, use a good skin care line, allow some time for your skin to naturally repair, do not over exfoliate until you are healed and let me know if this helps you.
Hi Lori Thanks for your response. We understand IPL's work great in the right hands, I had one 4 yrs ago and was wonderful. What we need to know is what can be done to those of us who have been burned or overtreated? Can some other treatment safely correct the hyperpig, broken blood vessels, tissue breakdown and repair the collagen and elastin that has been damaged? Would apprecitate any advice. Thank you.
The adverse reactions some of you are speaking of sound like you were treated by someone who did not understand their system.If done correctly the results are amazing. An IPL treats dark spots (pigment)and red spots (capillary) becuase the Light energy used is attracted to these chromophores and destroys them. The pigment is melanin. The IPL heats the melanocyte and in doing so they appear darker as the epidermis is pushing them to the surface and shedding them. You may see darker spots for a peiod of time but they should lighten significantly. If you are dealing with dermal melasma well then you have to be careful not to heat the area too much because you can risk greater pigment. The red spots are capillary/blood vessels. The IPL sees the hemoglobin and super heats the vessels to break them apart and shrink the vessel wall. There will be redness and swelling if there are alot of these vessels, and they can be very small. The swelling is secondary to the excess fluid from the super heated vessels. The fluid has to be carried out of the skin. So some red marks may be normal. I say, be sure the laser center has a nurse on staff performing the treatments and ask their training credentials. Hope this helps....
i went for a skin peel and was talked into ipl, one side of my face is really swollen and i have quite a few red marks on my face which wernot there before, i only had this done 3 days ago but after seeing everyone elses comments am now really nervous about the permanent outcome. i was promised i would look 5 years younger but at the moment am not sure! does anyone know how long it takes to see permanent results?
Norma48 I would not recommend getting anymore!!! There are hundreds of victims on various sites telling their stories of burns, fat loss, vision problems, hypo scaring, etc. I am one of them and I had this done 6 months ago my story is here under IPL-Destroyed-my-face-and-chest. There are serious side effects happening, most irreversible, that doctors, esthetians and the manufactures are NOT telling us about. Several us are are researching to find an way to get this out to the public. If you are already experiencing any adverse reaction, please cancel your other appointments, I don't want you to end up like hundreds of us with permanent damage. PM me if you want to talk. Carla