Second Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel - Great Doc! - Hillsboro, OR

My hair was basically almost gone on top (very...

My hair was basically almost gone on top (very thin), and I am NOT a good-looking bald man; just don't have the skull structure or jawline for it. We can't all be Jason Statham. Meds weren't doing much and I'd really waited too long to start them anyway. I didn't want to start Rogaine because it creates a dependency and will eventually fail anyway, assuming it works on you at all. So after a LOT of research of forums and web sites, I went to Dr. Steven Gabel in Hillsboro, Oregon right outside of Portland. First procedure was Age 27, second was Age 29.

Just a few more recent pics!

These were all taken progressively within the last few months, meaning roughly 9 to 16 months post-op after the second procedure.
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Gabel is realistic and doesn't try to over-sell you on excessive transplantation levels that you don't need, is fairly conservative in his use of grafts, and is extremely skilled at positioning single, double, and triple-hair grafts to maximize density and flow in the right direction and look natural. He did almost all the work on me himself, with his lab assistants serving mainly to separate and clean the grafts/follicles once they are extracted. To this day no one can tell I ever even had surgery from looking at me. He and his team are very professional and personable, and still email me occasionally to see how I'm doing. His pricing is very reasonable and his schedule is fairly flexible with generally low wait times of a few weeks to a month or two depending on the season, and he will work with you on finding a hotel and lining up transportation to make everything streamlined and stress-free. I've never heard a negative word about him on the various hair restoration/cosmetic surgery forums that he is known on, while I've seen many of his very successful cases - do a Google search and see for yourself. I flew from Seattle to Hillsboro in December 2010, again from all the way in Hawaii in 2013, and will fly from San Diego to see him again in a few more months to get my crown filled in and temples advanced a bit, now that it looks like my hair loss seems to be stabilized (he was careful to explain that you don't want to use too many grafts when you're young - i.e. not until you know what your hair loss rate and pattern will be like, lest you use up too many grafts and then end up with bald spots later and you don't have any grafts left to cover them). I would wholeheartedly recommend him. Message me for more info. James

You're a handsome guy, i think the ear tuck was pointless, you should of got them reduced in size in my opinion, but don't do any more plastic surgery, you might end up hating the results, love yourself for who you are.
Do u have to keep getting it re done? Where do they take the hair from? My fiancé and I are just looking at your hair and it looks natural!
In modern hair transplantation, they move individual hair follicles instead of the old "hair plugs" they used to do in the 90's, so there's not scarring. The follicles are taken from the "safe zone" on the lower-sides and lower-rear of the head, since those hairs are immune to DHT (dihydro-testosterone - a corrupted form of testosterone that causes male hair loss and also prostate cancer). Hair follicles are themselves each tiny little organs with multiple components. And no, you don't generally have to have it re-done; the newly placed hairs last for a life-time, or multiple decades at the very least. However, on the first pass, it's often hard to achieve the density that you truly want, since you simply can't poke TOO many holes too close together in the scalp at once or you could damage it. The second time through for me was all about touching up my hairline, and my third time will be all about filling in my crown area since I've pretty much only focused on the front thus far. The way it works is, doctor extracts several thousand of them over a period of several hours, passing each one to his assistants who have scalpels and microscopes; they cut the excess skin, fat, etc. away from each follicle quickly and efficiently, and then divide the follicles up into what looks like little plastic contact-lens cases (like tiny plastic dishes) - one for single-hair follicles (which will be positioned along the frontal hairline rows to look natural), two-hair follicles, three-hair follicles, and more rare four+ hair follicles, all of which are used further back to make denser, thicker hair and form a natural sort of gradient. It's probably also the least painful surgery I've ever had - less painful than almost any dental work, to be honest. Plus my doc prescribed me a Valium, so I was totally chill the whole time. I spent most of the day (during the operation) talking to the doc and assistants while they worked, goofing around on my smart-phone, and watched "The Truman Show" and "Coffee and Cigarettes." Even took a lunch break for 30 minutes in the middle. The whole procedure lasted about 7-8 hours including harvesting and placement of the hairs, but the day really flew by because I was constantly entertained. Let me know if you or your fiance' have any more questions! Also I have bigger and more detailed pics if he is interested.
You look really great, congratulations! Sounds like you did your research, and that paid off. Very curious about this "corrupted testosterone" you speak of. My husband has been losing his hair for several years now, and at the same time his father was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Evidently, there is a link and this is genetic... not to get too off topic but my husband should probably get tested for prostate sooner than later. Also, am thinking this may be a good surgery for him.... hair replacement, that is. Do you know any good doctors in the NJ/NY area? Thank you...
Thanks! And yep, Dihydrotestosterone is a corrupted form of testosterone that causes both hair loss and prostate cancer - Finasteride prevents prostate cancer and dramatically slows hair loss, sometimes even causing some to grow back/thicken up. He should see a physician in light of his genetic predisposition for both, and hopefully get prescribed Fin. Hopefully he can get it prescribed in its generic 5mg/pill form (also called Proscar), because paying for the name-brand 1mg/pill Propecia is obscenely expensive. It's the same chemical. As for a doctor in the New York/New Jersey area, I believe the legendary Dr. Feller resides there, and you absolutely cannot go wrong with that doctor as far as I know - search for "dr feller hair transplant before after" in Google Images to see some of his work; I've seen many online reviews of his numerous successful procedures, and I don't think I've ever heard a negative word said.
Okay, thank you so much. This is great information. I will pass on to my husband. Appreciate your quick response!
Hi, Great to see/hear all has gone well for you and appreciate the fact that you have posted your experiences on here. It certainly gives me a bit of hope going forward. Out of interest how did you come across Dr Gabel? Was it a simple case of referral or did someone recommend him? Unfortunately I'm based in Western Australia and it appears we don't have many surgeons who can match this level of quality. With that said I might consider a holiday to Oregon :)
I was living at Washington State at the time, and had joined and done a fair amount of research on the Hair Restoration Network forums - all their recommended doctors are Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physician (CIHRP) members. It ultimately came down to two highly-rated establishments with sterling reputations: Hasson & Wong, just a little north of me in Vancouver, or Dr. Steven Gabel a little south of me in Oregon. To be completely honest, they were essentially matched in skill from what I could see, but going to H&W meant acquiring a passport and currency exchange and other complications, so I went to Dr. Gabel. Obviously everything went well and I'm quite happy with my decision, although to be fair I'm sure H&W would have been a great choice as well. I've personally only heard of one good Australian hair restoration specialist (although I'm sure thre are more, I just don't live in Australia so I'm not that familiar). Google this: Rothki My first hair transplant in Perth, DR Jennifer Martinick . A guy by the forum name of Rothki seems to have had a good result from this physician - but you should talk to him personally rather than taking my word for it. Best of luck in your quest, and feel free to ask any more questions you might have!
Thanks for sharing your experience with us the result is amazing,the smile on your face says it all :) 6 months pictures looking good and more to come for sure , are you taking any hair loss meds to stabilize any further if you don't mind me asking .
Thanks! And yes, I take finasteride daily.
awesome dude...looks amazing. I have question, did you wanted the frontal part to be more of a view shape with your hairline?
I'm not sure I understand... What is a "view shape..?" O.o Do you mean V shape? Like a widow's peak? Yes, that's kind of the design we were going for. Most everyone goes for the rounded frontal hairline, but I always had a bit of a natural widow's peak, and so I was really looking more at retoring my natural look rather than trying to look like someone else. Additionally, I think the widow's peak has a sort of classical, regal look to it, and since I'm already 30 and only getting older, I think its classic shape will serve me well in the coming decades as a natural-looking and age-appropriate (while still strong and virile) hairline. That being said, the areas of the hairline immediately to the left and right of the tip of the peak do sort of sweep upward just a little, and I think I will have them straightened (lowered just slightly, while not actually lowering the tip or the entire hairline), and have my temple points on the sides of my head advanced in order to minimize my perceived forehead size, but other than that I will keep the basic shape I think. Did that answer your question..?
sorry, yes I mean V shape, not view lol. I blame my silly phone for auto correcting this :)
and yes you did answer my question. Thank you.... I agree the hairline matches you well....I was just curious, if that was your idea or the doctors. I think your results are amazing. When you decided to this procedure, did you tell all your friends or co workers? and how did you "walk around" weeks after to the surgery? did you hide your hair, wearing a baseball hat or anything? since the beginning stage looks sore and red, to hide it from the public.
The doc and I sort of discussed it and mutually came to the same conclusion, and as for the weeks afterward, I was about 3 month away from moving from Washington to Hawaii, so I didn't care in the least who saw - I just shaved my head and went back to work (after 2 weeks or R&R, and by then all the new grafts had shed). When I went out to public places I would gently place a stocking-cap on my head, which went over fine since it was winter in Washington state. That was the first time, when I did the whole front of my head. The second time, as can be seen in the pics, I kept my hair long enough to simply comb forward over the red area for a month or two until the redness subsided. I looked kinda dorky, but no one could tell I'd had anything done. I'm really not shy about telling people about it though - most people agree that I'm not a good-looking bald man (I keep that first picture of me bald on my smart-phone in case anyone has any doubt).
Great results! Love the diving photos :)
Thanks! Maui was a blast!
Your results are outstanding .Thank you so much for sharing with us & now u r better looking than Jason Statham .
Haha I might have better hair than him now, but I'm pretty sure Jason Statham still beats me hands-down on every other front :) Thanks though!