Bad Choice of Surgeon - Hawthorn, AU

It cost me $8059 and I regret it every day. I had...

It cost me $8059 and I regret it every day. I had blepharoplasty and a brow lift with Dr Rodger Davies in Hawthorn, Melbourne. The result was very uneven, with my left eye lid being both bigger and lower than my right. I couldn't move my left eyebrow or forehead for the first year, but the movement gradually came back. There was a cut through my left ear lobe which Rodger Davies couldn't explain. There was also a massive amount of blood and swelling around my left eye, which was not there on my right eye. Again, he could not explain this. My left eye is always red and sore, there is pain in the eyelid, and in the morning my left eye is stuck together with pus (to this day). I also have a lump in my left eyelid. I have visited two ophthalmologists who have said it is a suture granuloma from the surgery. However, when I asked Rodger Davies about it, he denied it was anything to do with his surgery and said it must have already been there. It's over two years since my surgery and my left eye causes me much grief and depression. I wish so much that I had never seen Rodger Davies. He is not good at his job, and he doesn't tell the truth if he makes a mistake.

before and after surgery

after surgery

Dr Rodger Davies

He did a bad job, made some mistakes, and wouldn't admit to any of them. He had some kind of accident during surgery with my left eye and forehead (and strangely with my ear lobe) but he would not admit to it. My left eye is a major problem to this day, and cosmetically the results are very uneven.

It seems clear from member lessonlearnt , who seems highly disappointed and distressed with the work Dr Rodger Davis carried out. The litmus test was, if he had a bad day and messed up, he did not own up to it and try to resolve the errors. It seems fluerdelys82 claims to have had the opposite result and treatment from Dr Rodgers and is grateful. For me the errors seemed very serious and his lack of trying to fix lessonlearnt problems was enough for me to give him a very wide PASS. I have just had upper eye lid surgery, for puffy/overlapping eyelids. I went to see five surgeons before deciding who to go with. Two were plastic surgeons and three ocular-plastic surgeons. I quickly found out the plastic surgeons are too general, ie: they will do all parts, boobs, butts, etc and your eyes, if you wish. So discarded me. (rather go to someone who is doing the same operations, day in and day out) Three ocular-plastic surgeons were Dr Justin Friebel, nice man, seems very competent and skilled. But was a very busy practice, I felt like I was in a production line, so passed on him. The second was Dr Marlya Stelmach, no doubt a skilled ocular- surgeon, however I discovered when I called her after the consultation to clarify a couple questions, she was very abrupt, did not have time to talk, made it very clear she was too busy to answer questions from potential patients. Also the other off putting thing was, she was by far, the most expensive out of all five surgeons, not only that but, the other surgeons just passed onto the patients directly, the actual cost of the hospital and the anesthetist. Where as she actually TREBLED the hospital fee and tried to get me to stay over night in hospital, at a cost of almost $3000, for what was only a day procedure and twilight anesthetic. Her abrasive, condescending attitude and attempt to charge excessive fees, left a feeling of poor patient treatment and merely trying to fill her pockets. So a HUGE pass on her. The final ocular- plastic surgeon was Dr Alan McNab, (ESC),a highly skilled professional , very pleasant, straight talking and fair and reasonable with all the fees. I felt very comfortable with him and all the external research I did on him, came back very positive. I went with him. Everything went like clock work, no dramas, excellent treatment from start to finish of all aspects, including the hospital. The operation went very well,most pleased, healing up with no issues and a good result. I hope this posting helps someone who is going through the difficult process of selecting who to entrust with their eyes. hopeful24/7
Thank you hopeful24/7. After a disastrous first consultation with Dr Rodger Davies I had given up hope of finding a genuine surgeon I could trust. I was referred to Dr Alan McNab but kept putting it off as I didn't want to be disappointed again even though I had heard positive things about him. Your feedback has been invaluable and has helped with my decision to go ahead and make that appointment with him.
To hopeful24/7 and vg01, I hope you found my feedback on Alan McNab helpful...I was very happy with him as when things did not go according to plan the first time, he was very helpful and understanding and did not deny were things were not right. I think I had 4 maybe 5 surgeries with him....all of this was because of the instability of my lid due to my original surgery with a general PS. Even though my eyes are not 100% better (one slightly different shape to the other) it was by mutual agreement that I did not have another surgery. he is very down to earth and realistic. Very reasonable prices too.
Hi VG01, Glad I could be of assistance. It is a daunting and difficult task to find someone you hope will perform well and you come out the other side happy, with a good result. Thats why I took the time and paid to see 5 surgeons!. I did as much research as I could on all of them. Unfortunately in Australia there is not the same extensive coverage and feedback/reviews from patients, as there is in the USA. So it is important for us to name the good ones and shame the bad/greedy ones who care more about their pockets than their patients. Good luck with it all. Let me know how you go. regards, Hopeful24/7
Hi ernurse, Yes, your positive comments and feedback were a great reassuring help, it reinforced and confirmed my research and how I felt when I met him. So sorry you had to go through 4 or 5 operations. thats tough, mentally and psychically. I hope both the mental and physical scars have healed and you are moving on in a positive way. Thank you for your input. Regards, hopeful24/7
I agree with you, hopeful247. we here in Australia need to make sure that we do speak up and name names of surgeons. Also let's not forget that unlike America we have the Health Complaints Commission in each state. We need to use this free service and actively complain about doctors that do not acknowledge their errors and that cause problems that other doctors need to fix. This is the only way we have to call them to account.
Yes , not enough free exchange of experiences over here, a lot of people not willing to share experiences and information. Hopefully this website and some free speaking people, like ourselves, who are willing to share and care about others and unmask the unprofessional surgeons
Thank you hopeful247 and ernurse. I agree with everything you say about greedy surgeons and it's time we made them accountable. I did try to make an appointment with Dr McNab for upper and lower eyelid surgery as I have puffiness under my eyes. I was told that he does upper eyelid surgery but not lower. Puffiness under the eyes is considered cosmetic and she recommended Dr Bryan Mendelson in Toorak. Has anyone had any experience with this surgeon-good or bad? I would be grateful for any feedback. Thanks.
Hi VG01, I did a bit of research on him, however I did not consult with him. There are a lot of glowing 5 star reviews for him, however there is one former patient that is not happy after eye surgery. If you do a google search under his name and "snake eyes", that is the patient who is not happy. she has before and after photo how she went in for a brow lift, but something may have gone a bit wrong, and he carried out another procedure on her eyes to correct the brow lift. I don't recall the full details, but the one star review from "snake eyes"is out there with all the information. It may also be on the Realself website, so try a search here for snake eyes and see what comes up. let us know how you go.
Hi hopeful247, I went off air for a while because it upset me to read snake's story and look at the pictures, but mostly I was in tears at Dr Mendelson's callous attitude towards her. At the moment I wouldn't trust my eyes to any so-called specialist and I might just live with what I have. Hopefully more people will speak up and name and shame these surgeons who present as "experts and the best in their field", and in so thinking they treat their patients with such callousness and will not take responsibility when things go wrong. Its about time these egomaniacs were exposed. I am so grateful for your input and for this website. I also wish lessonlearned04 all the very best in her healing and thank her for starting this conversation. Best regards.
to Vg01 and hopeful247. I saw Mendelson too in an endeavour to have my eyes fixed. It was a terrible consultation. He was so busy trying to impress his intern that he barely paid any attention to me. He rushed me through and then sent me to one of his office staff who wanted to book a surgery date for me...I said no, you have to give me more information and she gave me some written info on upper eyelid surgery...the fact that I went there for repair of retracted lower lids must have escaped her notice. I mentioned this to her and she said, "oh we dont have any literature on the surgery Dr Mendelson is going to do on you" What?? Most unprofessional Dr. I have ever dealt with.
Hi VG01 I am glad to be of assistance to you. I am very diligent in researching any major investment or purchase , surgery on such a sensitive , visible part of the body, so I had to be as confident as I could be that staked the odds in my favour of coming out hopefully with the result I wanted and without any problems, which has been the case. Dr Mendelson is a general cosmetic/plastic surgeon, not an ocular-plastic surgeon. From what I recall "snake eyes " went for a brow lift that appears to go wrong and his attempts to correct compounded and expanded the problem. so I discarded going to him. I hope you can be happy within yourself or find the surgeon you can trust, which appears to be challenging for all of us. All the best Hopeful24/7
Thank you ernurse. I've decided to put any surgery on hold for the moment unless I'm able to find THE surgeon to do both upper and lower blepharoplasty, who is skilled and humane.
Thank you hopeful247. I've wanted to especially fix the bags under my eyes for a long time. I hope that some day I'll find the right surgeon. But until then I'll just be grateful that I didn't end up worse off with the wrong one.
Dr Rodger Davies of Hawthorn saved me form going blind! I was referred to Dr Rodger Davies, a highly regarded oculoplastic surgeon, by senior eye specialists after failed cosmetic Blepharoplasty elsewhere. This resulted in serious complications, eyelid retraction, external scarring and disfigurement due to excessive eyelid skin removal resulting in severe corneal eye ulceration causing my eyes to be constantly bandaged trying to heal the ulceration that was ongoing. I also had terribly scarred disfigured lids - my life became a nightmare of pain eventually causing me to be unable to work . I was in that condition when I sought the help of Dr Rodger Davies. It is very difficult for another surgeon to take over serious complications caused elsewhere however I was granted a miracle when Dr Davies agreed to try and help me, and the results he achieved thanks to his wonderful exceptional skills as a surgeon, the time and commitment over many months he afforded me, my eyes were saved and disfigurement to my lids greatly reduced. I will never be able to show my gratitude. He is a totally committed doctor to his patients, an exceptional surgeon - not only did he save my eyes but he supported me with ongoing kindness and after care for many, many months . I am so very very fortunate and grateful to have been a patient of this excellent surgeon. You will find many other people feel the same. Dr Davies is a leading highly respected surgeon and has been written up in newspapers for his dedication and successful surgery on others. Thank You Dr Davies and your wonderful caring staff who have also been a great support to me constantly.
Lessonlearned04 was your surgery medical or cosmetic? Also, was it on a private list at a hospital?
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

To lesson learned: Get some detailed description of what went on in your surgery. Telling a doc that your surgeon "had some kind of accident" is not enough.
I have heard good things about Alan McNab too, from the person who recommended Justin Friebel to me. Has anyone heard anything about Justin Friebel? His manner is very professional and friendly. So far I have only seen him for a consultation, not for surgery.
They are all professional and friendly initially....proof is in past results!!! Is his name spoken in professional circles? If other docs (plural) recommend him then that is a very good sign.
Dr. McNab repaired very badly retracted lower lids. I also had slight tendency to entropion in one of my lids. My previous surgeon ignored my concern re this. Of course post the surgery it became very unstable. Dr. McNab fixed this too. I had several surgerys with him to repair everything. I had bilateral hard palate grafts. I had some problems with one as it flipped out of place. I do have different shaped eyes, but I decided not to have any more surgery to fix this as my lids had become so unstable. I cannot say my eyes are perfect, nor are they as I had before, but Alan McNab did the best he could with me. I also know that he has worked on other peoples eyes that have been botched by previous surgery. He will be realistic with you, and he is not too expensive. He is very very highly regarded in "eye" circles.
could you post photos
Wow stunned saw Dr Rodger Davies yesterday and had him penciled in for May next year but I have an appointment with Dr Howard Webster tomorrow and yes it is free because I mentioned Realself. So I will post comment tomorrow night. I am getting more and more confused.
I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I am also in Australia, Melbourne looking to get this surgery. Upon advice on here I have decided to go and see an ophthalmologist and have been doing research as to which one to go and see. I had decided with Dr Rodger Davies and was planning to get the surgery done later in the year by him as he seemed very reputable. I am glad that you have posted about your experience. After seeing your comments, I will continue to do my research. Are your surgery results fixable?
Thank you teej_s01. I'm not sure if any of it can be fixed or not. I'm seeing Dr Justin Friebel this week for a consultation, he is at Cabrini in Melbourne. He was recommended to me, and it's the first time I've built up enough trust and confidence to try and see another surgeon. I'll let you know how I go with him. The attitude of both Rodger Davies and his reception staff really changed towards me after the surgery. Before they were really nice and really encouraging, afterwards they were cold, silent and made it clear they wanted me to go away quietly. I'm guessing from this that he has had many unhappy patients, and in fact there was a woman in there complaining about her surgery when I came in for a post-op appointment. I regret so much that I went with him, I wish I'd done more research.