Obagi Nu Drm and Pixel Laser to Treat Acne Scars and Hyper-pigmentation - London, United Kingdom

Hi all, I find myself at my wits end after a long...

Hi all,

I find myself at my wits end after a long and harsh regiment of pixel laser and obagi nu derm that seems to have adversely damaged my skin. I was recommended by a dermatologist on Harley St. to try obagi nu derm treatment and a course of five pixel laser treatments to help improve hyper pigmentation that covered the majority of my face and was told it would improve the acne scars on the side cheeks of my face, which were shallow and small. I followed the AM and PM daily regime given to me to a tee which included 0.1% tretinoin used only at night before bed and ensuring i lathered my skin with sun screen if i went out as recommended. My skin would be red and continuously peel but was told by my dermatologist here in London to continue as this was all part of the process and reading forums scattered online found that this was part of the 'ugly phase' and would improve with use.

After 7 months on obagi combined with 4 pixel laser treatments, my hyper-pigmentation has significantly improved but the appearance of the skin to my alarm is badly damaged. The skin is very shiny without applying any moisturiser and has a waxy, bumpy, scarred, orange peel appearance that has destroyed the little bit of self esteem i had due to years of acne flare ups as a teen and then hyper-pigmentation as a side effect of using isotretinoin. It has become so bad that friends and family members have pointed out the state of my skin, querying what had happened to it. Reading some posts on different forums i get the feeling it may be a case of overuse as i had not taken any break. I visited the same dermatologist and he suggested i used a simple cleanser and moisturiser for three months and go from there without really stating what he felt had caused my skin to look the way it currently is.

Its been two months now and little to nothing has improved. It's probably not manly of me to say and i certainly wouldn't admit to anyone i know, but i almost, well, i do want to cry. The anticipation and excitement that i built up during the treatment has left me dismayed and disheartened and never thought i would feel as low as i do. I'm not sure what else to say but if anyone can offer any help, suggestions or solutions that could be of use I'd be extremely grateful. I've left some photos below that i took 2 months post treatment.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, hopefully it wasn't too laborious and repetitive.

M.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us. I understand your concern is the orange peel appearance,along with some other side effects. I recommend checking out this review, she had the same issue after her Fraxel laser treatment:

HEALED SKIN!!! My orange peel/enlarged pores skin is HEALED!!!

Feel free to also post a question to our Doctors, they may have a suggestion for you.

Keep us posted.

Was polite, failed to respond to my phone calls or provide adequate answers to my questions post treatment