Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy - Greer, SC

When I learned I had breast cancer and would have...

When I learned I had breast cancer and would have to have a mastectomy, I knew I would want to have breast reconstruction. Dr. Blakemore was very kind and answered all my questions about the different types of reconstruction and the pros and cons, and spent a lot of time reassuring me. I decided to do the type of reconstruction at the time of my mastectomy where I had a temporary implant put under my chest wall muscle.Because I am very slender this was felt to be to be the best choice, and it also has the least down time. I was out of work for 6 weeks after the initial surgery. Every week after the mastectomy, for about 6 weeks, I would have an expansion done, where the implant was slowly expanded with saline. This was somewhat uncomfortable, with the most discomfort occurring 2 days after the expansion. I was able to work but would recommend the expansions being done near a weekend just to have some down time. My final reconstruction occurred about 3 months after the original mastectomy, and this involved putting a permanent implant into my breast that had been removed, as well as augmenting my remaining breast so that they would match. This was a much easier surgery and I was only out of work one week. I was very pleased with my results. I knew it would be something of a challenge, trying to make my real breast match my "fake" breast, and Dr. Blakemore did a great job. The scars are very small. I know it would have been easier for me to have had both breasts removed and reconstructed as far as them looking symmetrical when reconstructed, but I wanted to keep my breast that did not have cancer. Though Dr. Blakemore was realistic that it might not look exactly the same, she got VERY close. I am so pleased. She helped me through a very difficult time, and I would recommend her highly.

Thank you for sharing your personal story on RealSelf. Your review gives a clear idea of what to expect during reconstruction. The helpful tip on getting your saline fills before a weekend, for extra down time, is a great idea. Was the first week of recovery from the temporary expander fairly painful? It's nice your PS was sensitive to your needs and was able to get you nice results. Will you do the final nipple reconstruction too or perhaps a tattoo? Take care and keep us posted on your healing progress!

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Blakemore is wonderful. She is kind, caring, considerate, and spends a great deal of time explaining how things are done. She never seems rushed and she answers my lists of questions graciously. She really cares about you and wants to make things look the way you want them to. She definitely has a heart for breast cancer patients and their reconstruction issues. She has an excellent reputation for great results.