face

Horrible experience. Rhytidectomy (face lift) was...

Horrible experience. Rhytidectomy (face lift) was performed at the surgery center at Greenville Plastic Surgery by Dr. J. Lynn Garrison, MD. (June 2011) After THREE painful corrective procedures (Sept. 2011, January 2012, April 2012) my face looks awful.

My neck sags on the left side, very uneven irregularities under my chin. The skin on my lower face is pulled tight so my mouth looks distorted I also now have a deformity called "PIXIE EARS" (excess tension on my face had caused the earlobes to be pulled down towards the angle of the jaw). Very noticeable and unattractive. Can't wear my hair up or wear ear rings it is so ugly. The scars behind my left ear are thick and very conspicuos.

Also, large lump on left cheek.I have consulted with TWO DOUBLE Board Certified Plastic Surgeons, (Dr. J.Madison Clark,MD, Alamance Ear, Nose & Throat & Facial Plastic Surgery; Dr. Adam Stein, MD, Stein Plastic Surgery) and have been told that a REVISION surgery is necessary to correct my face...BUT Neither will do it at this time. They said the skin is pulled to tight and there is not enough facial skin left for them to work with. Talked to Dr. Lynn Garrison, MD (my husband was present)on 9/19/12 and told her the estimate was from other DOUBLE Board Certified surgeons to do revision surgery is $5000. She said she would refund my money less the anesthesia fee as she had paid that direct. I also addressed this in writing the next Monday. To date I have had absoutely no reply from Dr. Lynn Garrison, MD.

UPDATE: Facelift experience performed by Dr. Lynn...

UPDATE: Facelift experience performed by Dr. Lynn Garrison, MD. At a meeting with Dr. Lynn Garrison at Greenville Plastic Surgery recently she worked with me to resolve my issues to my complete satisfaction. Dr. Garrison is a "person of her word" and addressed my complaint in a professional manner. The staff at Greenville Plastic Surgery are nice and cordial as well.
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Something sounds "fishy" to me here. and then the mysterious comment by "wecare" whoever that is.. I hope you're doing ok! I am guessing you got your money back (finally) good lord, so sorry for all you went through. Remember always that you are a beautiful person!
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

After all you've gone through I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve your problems with this doctor. Did Dr. Garrison perform another revision surgery or did you settle this issue financially?
I wonder if harderandfaster has something there with the suggestion of fillers.Maybe you could get fillers to stretch the skin faster to get enough tissue available for you to go forward with your revision .I know they sometimes use spacers in breast implantation when more tissue is needed , why not in the face? I am really sorry you had an unsatisfactory result .Thank you for being brave enough to discuss it here . Aquilt
Which Dr. Stien did you go to. I live in Tennessee and would like to find a great plastic surgeon for face lift. Any recommendations?
I'm sorry to know what you've to go through after your facelift. I know how does it feel like to spent your money and not being satisfy with the results. This is not just about money but all the emotional frustration we ended up with to see that all our expectations were not fulfilled. When we decide to go for a plastic surgery especially a facelift, is not that we are expecting to look 10 or 20 years younger. Mostly what we want is to look fresher. I had a facelift about a month ago and I don't know if its normal but up to this day my jowls Andy chin are hanging in a very unevenly way, also after the third week I started to notice that a big hollow is forming on my right cheek, by my mid face area. Another problem that I have is that I've always had puffiness under my lower eyelid. Not exactly on the lower eyelid but more down like over my cheek none. My PS told me he was going to correct that by tightening the tissues and the skin in that area. Now the puffiness is more noticeable than before. Little I knew before I had my facelift that this puffiness is called Malar Crescent. I did my research too late. I've been looking for information and this is something that mostly can't be remove during a facelift. I told my PS about all my concerns, but he says I have to keep waiting for best results. I do not trust him anymore. I dont know how long should I have to wait to go and get a second opinion. Mia
Sadly,refunds are very very rare,as i know to my cost,ALL doctors are more than reluctant to hang on to our hard earned cash. I have a friend who is suing a NY doctor,and it has already gone on for 3 years,and i very much doubt she will ever receive a penny.
The lump on your cheek looks like a SEROMA it's a build up of fluid & blood and can easily be drained by your Dr. I had one after a mini lift. It was drained twice then went away. Should be free, costs the Dr. nothing and is painless. I'm sorry for your bad experience.
Absolutely dreadful ! My thoughts go out to you as i too had a rubbish experience and i can relate to how you feel. And sadly we have to live with our faces being ruined,while in most cases the doctors dont care a damn....its all about money,and eithics no longer exist.
Gayle, My heart goes out to you. I too would be upset if I had the result you had. You went through alot to receive facial rejuvenation and didnt get what you paid for. I was looking at your hair and wondered if you could style it to conceal your earlobes etc until the one year mark has passed and you can pursue revision surgery. I went to Adam Stein in Raleigh for a facelift(lower), midfacelift, endoscopic brow lift, and rhino-septoplasty in March of this year. I am very happy with the results. I feel he's a very talented surgeon and if anyone could correct this, he could. I also was treated very professionally and I voiced concerns along the way. Everything I mentioned during the healing process was thoughtfully addressed. I never was made to feel bad about questioning if things were OK and on track postoperatively. Someone in family is considering going to Dr Stein for a rhinoplasty now. I am curious did Dr Garrison provide you with before/after photos or references? I am going to keep you in my thoughts and send positivity that youre guided to the solutions for your plight. Take Care
Thanks for your kind thoughts. Amazing but guess what? One of the double board certified surgeons I mentioned that I have consulted with in regards to revision surgery is none other than Dr. Stein. I have just in the last few days received my medical records from his office (also the other surgeon's as well) and have sent to Dr. Garrison and am asking for a refund. He was very blunt in his assessement, but very professional. Dr. Stein addressed each and everyone of the problems. (Scars, pixie ear, sagging neck and pucker in cheek...which he said (about the "pucker") that it was completely indecipherable to him and he could not understand what could have caused such a thing and that he had never seen anything like that in his practice!!! He indicated he could not help me at this time because she has pulled my skin so tight he has nothing to work with. He said to come back in a year and he would reevaluate. IHe would not even give me a quote...I really did appreciate his honesty. Recently I spoke with his nurse Parker (when getting my medical records released) and told him how impressed I was with Dr. Stein and if the time comes when I can have revision surgery...he will be the doctor I will go to. You just re-enforced that decision. I am very happy that you got such good results...hind sight is 20/20. I did not pick the right doctor...and I just pray in a year I can get revision surgery....however, can you imagine how much I dread that??? My husband is terrified for me..I have been through so much...but don't want to look like this forever. P.S. I have grown my hair out and wear it down in order to cover the scars and pixie ears (both ears are pixie..the left is just worse because she cut that side of my face a second time and pulled it tight) BUT we live on the beach on the Crystal Coast and it sucks that I can't put my hair up...don't even do it on the boat. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts...it really helps.
Gayle, You definitely did not get a great face lift and I too would be upset. But… I agree with Harder&faster that you are more aware than others. I do not want to minimize how you must feel. To put the time, money and energy into this type procedure just have poor results is beyond discouraging. My nose had to have revision surgery because the first doc did not do a good job at all and the results made me so self-conscious. It took me 4-years to decide on revision surgery. So I hear your pain, but… hang in there. Go back to one of the other PS, find out what you have to do to prepare for corrective surgery or how long you have to wait. Then see if fillers etc…will help you in the short term. Also, I would report the doctor to the applicable board (s). Hopefully your postings will keep others from using this doctor. My heart goes out to you, ML
Thanks for your post. It does help to know others understand. I did see one double board certified surgeon who said he would look at me again in a year. Of course,that's seems like an eternity right now. It is hard to think about going through the pain, "pumpkin head" ...etc. again. Also, the worry ...will it be right? Very scary. Glad things worked out for you!
So sorry to hear your story. My thoughts and prayers will be with you
That sucks, but don't let it keep you inside all the time! I can't tell what you look like from these angles, but it's probably not as bad as you think and just remember that you'll be able to fix it eventually. In the meantime, maybe you could get fillers or something to help you out? Also, this doctor sounds scary! You should report her and sue for the money if she doesn't pay you back.