After Agonizing Whether or Not to Do It, I Am Very Happy I Did - Greensburg, PA

Annie458 14 Oct 2012 Hello, I had my implants...

annie458 14 Oct 2012
Hello, I had my implants removed Sept 27th,still recovering and it's not fun! I had saline placed under the muscle in 2004. I went from an average B to a D. Loved them at first, but as I'm getting older, (I am 54 now,) going thru menopause and my weight has definitely redistributed itself. I am 5'2" weigh 124 lbs, but as the years have gone by, gravity has taken its toll on my size D breast. They started to look heavy, started sagging and falling off to the sides, causing side/back fat, I felt very matronly. Decided I was tired of lugging these big things around, busting out of tops, feeling self conscious at the beach. agonized over whether to have them totally removed, not replacing them with smaller implants, take my chances,be my own self again. Had a full bilateral mastopexy, implants removed, liposculpture - lateral chest (with breast reduction.)

I think I'm going to like the outcome once I can wear a normal bra and the scars heal properly. Right now, I have spitting stitches, my right nipple has been a mess, looks crooked, raised outer areola, flattened nipple, skin not pulling together. My PS/nurse assures me this is normal, wear the steri strips, keep compression bra on. Well, that has caused a set it's own problems! I feel like a freak, hate looking at them right now. I go tomorrow to see my PS, I took the steri strips all off, as my skin was so inflamed and red, I was oozing some fluids, the smell is very unpleasant, you can shower 3 times a day, but the yucky discharge under the strips is just plain gross. I have been wearing a sports bra with cut pieces of cotton T shirt to sooth the incisions underneath.Thank you to a poster here who suggested that, worked well. I hope they start to look better and heal with minimum scarring and I end up with small shapely boobs!!!

Hasn't really changed my life yet, but I know I will feel much more at ease knowing these foreign objects are out of my body and I can be myself again. I can breath better now, take deep breathes which was becoming difficult. Jogging/running was painful. I do wish I knew implants will and do begin to sag after the years go by, as you age, looking like saggy old breast! Mine weren't unsightly, but they were in my way and cumbersome. I'm sure if I waited another 5+ years they would of looked much worse. The pain has been tolerable, probably a bit more bruising and recovery as I had the lipo also. I would recommend it to any woman who is tired of the fake boobs, as I know I was, it was fun for 9.5 years, but I'm so over them!!!

I did post my post op appt with my PS today in the regular forum, more encouraging :)

I didn't sleep a wink last night, because I'm 5 days away from your freedom and cannot WAIT! Is this going to be the longest week of my life, ladies? Can I even make it to Friday?????
Aftermath, I know that anxious feeling waiting for 'The Day" lol But it's so worth it, you will feel free!! I actually went dress shopping today for a wedding I am attending, and I was so pleasantly surprised and pleased my breast looked so great in the dresses I tried on, I couldn't decide between two of them, so I bought both :) I fit into my actual size without the pulling, the tightness in my chest area, which used to force me to buy the next size up to accommodate those big jugs!! Such a good feeling to be normal again! Best of luck to you :)
Thank you, Annie! I...cannot...wait.

Hello all, hope everyone who's surgery is behind...

Hello all, hope everyone who's surgery is behind them are doing well, congratulations and happy healing! And to those who are waiting for their transformation... best of luck and congratulations! You will love your new found freedom.
My breast are feeling much better, but that right breast has been a problem! Hurts more than the left, occasionally I will feel burning, stabbing like pains, my nipple is very sensitive, the areola is slowly getting better, healing but but still looks deformed!
My left nipple is numb, I'm hoping the feeling comes back soon. But, I'm still so very pleased to have my real breast back, they look great in a bra and clothes, I am a bit self conscious for my husband to see them up close and personal! The scarring is not pretty, but my PS told me at my 6 week check up, be patient, I will heal nicely. Some days I'm ok with that, other days I look in the mirror and think.... Ugh, not to pretty to look at! Going on 2 months and I guess I was expecting to be healed more than I am.
I still wear a sports bra to bed, it just feels more comfortable to have them in 'place' lol I bought the Aha bra and I love it! Very comfortable to sleep in. I first bought the Genie bra, not comfortable at all and didn't fit well.
I've been using bio oil to massage and also wearing silicon sheets to help flatten the scarring. Can anyone recommend a better oil, cream etc. to treat scarring?
Could you please tell me what silicon sheets are? You said you are using them to minimize scarring? Thank you for sharing your story. I am afraid after having my 32D from 400cc implants for the last 13 years, deflation on Monday, then explant. But, I just want to be ME again, a little 32A girl. :) I hope you feel better soon.
Hi skinnymarie43, thanks for the well wishes! Best of luck to you on Monday, you will feel like yourself again, which is a great feeling to have your own breast back! Silicone sheets are applied to scar tissue to help flatten them. I purchased mine through makemeheal.com I bought the ones for a full anchor lift. They are expensive but very convenient to use, time will tell if they do actually work. Hope all goes well, let us know!
Can't wait until I am 2 months post op! It's only been 2 1/2 weeks, but it feels like more. My PS always recommended Mederma (sp?) cream for the scars after my last contracture releases, so I am expecting he will do the same this time. I can not tell you if it actually works, as I was only compliant for a couple of weeks! But, you can try it!
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Word of mouth. I do have pictures but need to organize them to post at a later date.