Want to Take the Plunge, but my Girlfriend is Very Against It - Great Neck, NY

I am a 20 year old male who has been interested in...

I am a 20 year old male who has been interested in rhinoplasty for the past 8 years. I was terrified of the idea, and feared the old saying "don't fix something that's not broken." I've always felt awkward looking at my face in photos, and even the mirror at times. My nose has a dorsal hump that protrudes greatly and my nose is rather wide for my small face. Recently, I've come across the funds for a surgery and finally made a consultation with a surgeon. The surgeon gave me the photos of how it would look corrected, and I am enthralled because that's exactly what I want. However, I had a long talk with my girlfriend. She brings up the points that the surgery can go badly, I'm not correcting the true issue (my self-esteem), this can lead to more surgeries, and that she's loved my face and nose from the first time she saw me. I'm very conflicted now and very undecided whether or not I want to go forward with the surgery. My girlfriend's opinion matters more to me than anything and I definitely do not want to risk displeasing anyone with the results.

Please don't let her talk you out of it. I have a family member who said all the same things, and even told me to spend the money on therapy instead! Your girlfriend's objections are what ALL non-supportive people say.

But you know what? I, too, had wanted the surgery for years. I chose my doctor carefully and educated myself. The surgery went great, I'm very happy with my results, life goes on and everyone is over it. (And my surgery was only 3 months ago.)

Good luck, and go for what you know you want!

Your girlfriend is right about possible risks and that it could be possible you'd need a revision (though hopefully not). Generally getting one plastic surgery procedure doesn't lead to someone going crazy with plastic surgery. Especially if it's something that's bothered you for a long time and not just an impulse decision.

Like nikki said, go on a few consultations with surgeons (don't just choose the first one you see without doing more research) and make sure he or she is a facial/rhinoplasty SPECIALIST. I cannot emphasize this enough.

I think you nose looks fine and that you're a handsome guy with a super cute girlfriend. But it's your nose and your face and you have to do what feels right to YOU.

Thank you so much, it means a lot! I've definitely done lots and lots of research before I even made my consultations, but you're very right about being cautious. I'm going to have to think long and hard before I make a decision!
If you get a rhino just make sure you do your research. make sure you like all before and afters and that they specialize in facial surgery. In my opinion I think your nose fits your face and that it's masculine..good thing since your a guy and all, but it really is YOUR decision.
Thank you as well, people have been telling me it's masculine which I actually like!