Open Wound! My Tummy Tuck Journey! - Great Neck, NY

Hello Beautiful Ladies! I hope everyone is doing...

Hello Beautiful Ladies!

I hope everyone is doing well. I had a Tummy Tuck with Liposuction of my Flanks on July 20, 2013. I am about 6 weeks Post-Op. My incision above my Vagina opened up after about two weeks. I ended up in the ER for two days and was told I had a "Local Infection". I was given two different types of antibiotics through an IV and I was prescribed oral antibiotics when I went home. My PS was on vacation the whole time I was going through everything. I'd like to believe that my open wound is getting better but I don't want to get my hopes too high. I started to use "Santyl" which is a medicated ointment my PS prescribed me and my brother who cleans my wound and does EVERYTHING for me says that my wound is getting harder to clean on the inside which hopefully means its closing. Even though I've been through so much I can honestly say my surgery was WORTH IT. I never took into consideration any type of complications and I think not too many of us do. There's a lot more to my story but I don't want to write way too much. :)

Before going to the ER. (3 weeks Post-Op)

Today at 6 weeks Post-Op. After about a week of using Santyl.

10 weeks Post-Op!

My wound closed!! I will put up pictures this week. I am going to start scar treatment soon. I have yet another complication. :( Fat Necrosis above my incision under belly button. Two hard lumps. You can't see them but you can feel them. They make my lower abdomen poke out a little but I'm patient and I've been through the hardest part already. Happy healing!! :)

Wow! What a huge difference in your wound!! It looks like it heal quick too! You look awesome!
Hey what is santyl?! my wound also opened and I just want it to close :(
Hi, Santyl is a prescription ointment that helps build skin back and prevents infection. I used Silvadine too and that's prescription as well. Google Santyl and check out the website. How big is the wound? Is it deep? You will be ok. I promise. It just takes time. Be patient. One day at a time.
Wow! Want a big difference in your incision. Looking good!
Yes! Thank you. My wound is completely closed now. I have to put up pics soon. You're almost there. We are getting closer and closer each day!!! :)
Hope your healing well!
I posted in your profile after viewing your pictures and reading that your PS wants to close you back up! Please inbox me. Mine was way bigger than yours and infected and my PS wouldn't close me back up. I have problems with healing too and my skin is super sensitive. I'm so worried now I hope you read this in time. Lots of love. Good luck. God is with you.
I just emailed you
Thank you so much for this post I am going through this open wound delay now and praying mine closes up. Doctor syas I was allergic to sutures so my body spit them out only in the front. Im definitely asking about that antibiotic ointment, thanks again
@luvinme: You're welcome! My body didn't dissolve a lot of the sutures as well. I can see two sticking out of my skin now and every time they cleaned my open wound they would find pieces of them. Santyl is amazing. I'm not sure if you have insurance. I don't. I had to pay almost $200. It's the same price everywhere I checked but it was the best $200 I've ever spent. We've already invested so much into our surgery. At first I wasn't going to buy it but my wound was hurting so bad and I was using Silvadine but it wasn't working fast enough. Silvadine did help my scabs fall off on the other side. Please have your PS prescribe Santyl. Look at my pictures. That was in only a week. How big is your wound? You will get better soon. I promise. Each day is bringing us closer to being healed.
I am praying for you and I envy your strength
@Dreamchaser33: Thank you so much. We all have to get better one day. My day is just later than sooner. I'm still happy. I appreciate the support. It keeps me going. Lots of love!!
Girls, I'm sorry for all of my typos. Lol. :)
My surgery was July 19th :) has the wounds closed for you?
@Pharmsales: We has surgery a day apart. Congratulations!! How are you feeling? In the beginning when my wound first started opening I was wetting it because the nurse told me to but then after doing so much research I decided to stop wetting it so for the past 3 and a half weeks I have been sponge bathing. It's horrible and I feel dirty. Lol. I'm still swollen and that's what bothers me the most. My wound is starting to heal. The picture I posted was only a few days ago. I'm being patient. I'm so happy I went through with my surgery. I still feel in shock. How is your swelling? My PS was on vacation for a month after my surgery so I was so confused. Lots of love!!
@Pharmsales: I'm starting to learn how to use RS. I just viewed your photos and you look FREAKING AMAZING! I forgot to mention because of my open wound I had to stop wearing my girdle. So I think that's why I am still so swollen. It comes and goes. They say swelling can last for months. Lets see. I am going to ask my PS for my before pics and then I will post pics of me today. You will be shocked. I'm shocked when I see it and can't believe I let myself get like that. All gone now though. Your belly button is beautiful!! I was so scared about my belly button too and mine is perfectly round too. Yay! I will put more pics soon.
same swelling and I have seroma but that is subsiding after 4 weeks of needle aspriations I hope this will be the last of it. the bikini pics where at 2 weeks I was flat but with the swelling now I feel not as flat. my ps said it will take about 6 months to subside. hang in there you look great & keep it dry and sponge bath I know its hard I felt gross when I did it but it worked :) happy healing my friend.
yes we had surgery a day apart. PS gone for a month? who's been seeing you?
My PS has several offices. I was being seen by nurses. Then I found out he had a nurse practitioner at one of his offices and that's when I started to be well taken care of. When he got back last week he saw me right away. He cleaned my wound and prescribed me Santyl And that's what has been helping me. I'm amazed at the difference in only about a week. Swelling sucks. My PS said 6 months too. We've come this far! We can handle swelling. I have two very hard spots under my belly button above my incision that hurt really bad sometimes. I have to ask him about that on Monday. Today I'm standing a little straighter longer but my stomach feels sore now. I guess it's adjusting to standing straighter. :)
I like to keep it reallllly dry even if it means not showering! I was having some issues with opening in the area where the drains were, so I started sponge bathing and keeping them dry till they closed. My PS said it is not uncommon for these wounds to open and close, eventually they close when your body is ready & nothing to be alarmed about. good that you went though to take care of the infection. How are liking your results?
So sorry you've had to deal with this but stay positive! You are well on your way to being recovered and having your new, beautiful body! Praying for a quick recovery for you! :)
@5alarmMistress: Thank you so much. I'm more positive now that I see progress. My first two weeks were rough emotionally. My third week I snapped myself out of it. It's easy to get depressed after having any complication. Everything I'm going through is worth it! Lots of love!!
Yes, excellent thought. In fact my belly button is round right now and i love my belly button. I want a round one vs. The long/ oval. Yes, incision placement is important to me too. I was planning on having those discussions the day of surgery when PS is drawing on my skin. Is that a good time to discuss it with ps or should we discuss before then? I am less than a week away. Freaking out!
I'm so excited for you. This is going to be one of the best decisions you have ever made! Believe me. I told my PS the day of my surgery while he was drawing on me. I wanted it to be fresh in his head. Lol. You will be in my prayers. You will be just fine. I wish I would've found this site before my surgery so I could've been more prepared but I'm glad I found it after! I am here for you! Also, my Aunt had a Gastric Bypass over 10 years ago and had to have a breast reduction, tummy tuck, arm lift and her last surgery which was 2 months before mine was a lower body lift and she's been my support and took care of me 24 hours a day for my first two weeks out. That's important. Also, she told me that when you wake up from the anesthesia if you feel tired go back to sleep. Don't force yourself to wake up if someone is trying to wake you up. Let yourself come out of it when you're ready! I send you all my love and I can't wait to hear from you after!!