Flank and Abdominal Liposuction - Great Falls, MT

After losing and keeping 30lbs off almost 2 years...

After losing and keeping 30lbs off almost 2 years ago, I chose to look at liposuction as an option to remove my stubborn fat pockets on my flanks. I looked at both Canadian and American surgeons to have the procedure done. The surgeon I consulted with (in the USA) encouraged me to get my upper and lower abdomen done at the same time. It's been 4 weeks and I love the result on my flanks but am super anxious about the result on my abdomen. I am trying to be patient and wait for my 3 month follow-up appointment with my plastic surgeon.

A bit more information about me, the procedure, pain and my overall experience

First off I am in my 30's and weight 135lbs and stand 5'5. I am very active and had a difficult time losing my flanks or 'love handles' through diet and exercise.

I consulted with 2 different PS and chose Dr. Ploplys in Great Falls. The consultation and scheduling of surgery was extremely quick compared to Canada's wait times. The price was somewhat comparable.

The surgery team was AMAZING, they had me laughing and in no time I was comfortable and WHAM out in recovery. So quick. I felt as though I had a tough ab workout at first. They were super impressed with my surgery and removed less fat than originally expected. They were even bragging that they got me into a small compression garment.

The next few days I took my antibiotics and pain meds as instructed, although after a few days I started taking Tylenol because the prescription meds made me loopy. I did take Arnica Montana for bruising and swelling and found it incredibly helpful. I had sooo much bruising. In odd places too, it was like they had dropped me ha ha. The compression garment was so tight it 'pushed' the bruising/swelling into my upper thighs. I was worried because the compression garment made a ridge in my side and was excited at 3 weeks to change it to Spanx. I'm just wearing it at night time now.

The pain.. oh my gosh I was in pain. I still had discomfort at 3 weeks and continued with Tylenol and Arnica Montana. I found it helpful to sleep somewhat upright with a body pillow behind me. Even now sleeping on my side feels odd to me.

At 3-4 weeks I found that my skin felt like it was re-connecting and I was 'tight' everywhere. I started doing Yoga to help with the tightness but I still feel a pull when I stretch and odd dimples when I massage my skin. When I workout my flanks feel 'heavy' which is odd because I don't have any!! My bandages fell off themselves and I immediately started using Bio-oil on the incisions and coconut oil to massage out the lumps or unevenness. I had my first lymphatic drainage massage on Friday and will continue with them for the next few weeks - I will write more on that in the next few weeks.

As I discussed with my first post, I am extremely excited with my results on my flanks, which were my original concern. I am however scared that my wrinkles and dimples will not resolve over time on my abdomen. I do have a follow-up in November and Dr. Ploplys has said she will do local lipo if necessary. So that is comforting somewhat. I'm interested to know if anyone else has experienced wrinkles and dimples and if they have resolved with time or if another procedure was required.

6 week photos/update

Friday marked 6 weeks since my surgery date. Still have some concerns with how the texture is on my abdomen and now I'm noticing some color irregularities. I scheduled an appointment to see Dr. Ploplys on Oct 14 to see what she says. Hope it's all resolvable.

So far the lymphatic drainage is going well and I've started self fascia release on my one incision scar that is dimpling. Hope it will release the scar tissue.

Revision at 7.5 weeks

Went in for my first consult post op today. Dr Ploplys recognized that I can't get to the USA often so she chose to do the revision today instead of waiting till 12 weeks or 3 months.

Dr Ploplys explained that the area around your belly button is difficult to get especially when so much work was done elsewhere. She froze the area and removed the small portion of fat that was left. I'm tender and bruised but excited to see the difference. I applaud those who do local for the whole procedure! I was struggling to deal with 15 minutes of it!! Can't say enough about my ps!! She was more exited that I was, kept bragging about my change. It was great to hear especially since this surgery has been so private.. I'd love to show everyone if I could :)
Great Falls Plastic Surgeon

Can't say enough about Dr Ploplys and the Benefis surgical centre in Great Falls. Dr Ploplys has been great at replying to my concerns (I'm in Canada) and is willing to work with me in anyway possible to get the best results.

What was the dosage of Arnica Montana? How often did you use that plus the other oils?
How is your recovery going?
You look great!
aldogoddess - You look wonderful for only 3-4 weeks out! You mentioned doing yoga; when did you go back to doing it? I'm so scared to stretch because I feel like the skin will separate from the muscle. I walked for 30 minutes on the treadmill though, which felt so, so good! I can't wait to see your progress!
I was allowed to go back to my regular weight lifting routine at 3 weeks, yoga and cardio were earlier as long as I felt comfortable. I started doing hatha yoga around the 17 day mark. I noticed after my surgery a reduction in my range of motion and the right side of my abdomen and flank was incredibly 'tight', I didn't push myself to do my normal positions though. It's been just over 2 weeks now and it's helped a lot!! I am back to my regular lifting and cardio routine.
I can't wait to do zumba! I'm imagining it will be a bit painful to do in the beginning, but I really do miss it. I love the gym and exercising so I can't wait to feel that good burn again! I have a follow up with my Surgeon tomorrow, so here's to hoping I get the green light to the gym! I'll be three weeks tomorrow so I'm really ready!
It's 5 weeks tomorrow for me. My surgeon's office just called and cancelled my 3 month - hoping I can get in a bit early. I think I'd find it comforting to have her feedback in person rather than through pictures and email. Good luck with your appointment. Hope your ps gives you the green light to get back to normal activity. Do you have any pictures posted yet of your results?
Oh no, Aldogoddess! I hope you can get in early too. Do you typically have follow up visits through email and pictures? I had a great appointment, my doctor is exceptional! He is very thorough and spent almost a whole hour with me. We talked about how I was progressing, looked at an incision that concerned me, my weight, the next step... everything, you name it! I go back in 4 weeks and yep! You commented on the pictures already ;0)
I guess it's not typical but since I reside in another country this is the arrangements we had made. Ha ha yes AnonyMiss I found your pictures afterward ha ha.. I need to look before I comment :)
You are looking great! From what other people have wrote four weeks in very early in the healing process so hopefully any issues will resolve themselves.
Thank you. Yes I'm trying to be patient. It's just difficult being so far away from my surgeon and waiting so long in between the surgery and my first consult. Usually people see their PS much sooner for a check up and update on progress.
I can already see the difference. U loom great!
Oops *look
Thank you so much! I do appreciate the positive comments. :)
You look fabulous!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Robyn! I appreciate the positive comment :)
;-)