SmartXide for Fine Wrinkles and Acne Scars - Total Waste of Money

I had SmartXide done in Feburary of 2009. I had...

I had SmartXide done in Feburary of 2009. I had high expectations because my Dr. was featured on several local news channels. I'm 44 and I wanted the procedure done for some fine wrinkles and a couple acne scars.

The procedure was uncomfortable to say the least and when he put those things in my eyes to do the eye area it was extremely painful. My Dr. claimed a few days of recovery time, but I had to use 10 of my vacations days because my skin looked aweful still and it burned like crazy.

Now almost a year later I see absolutely NO RESULTS! It was the BIGGEST WASTE of 1500.00 I could ever imagine. I midaswell have thrown that money out the window....It would have saved me from all the pain of feeling like I fried my skin out in the sun, a lot of vacation time and two weeks of pay......I'm Livid about the whole thing!

Dr Bill Johnson

I will never recommend Dr Johnson to anyone. its a scam. You never see results. i had Bbl and Smartxide done.. and it was a waste of money. looks the same as use to look before, like i never had those procedures done.

what doctor did you use? Im about to get this treatment and I live in grapevine too.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the comments. There is a groupon for a treatment in Seattle and I strongly considered getting it. The details I found elsewhere said nothing about all the pain and downtime, and for now I think I will stick to regular facials for my breakouts and save the money! thanks again.

Wish I'd seen your posts before having this done last week! Believe I used the same doctor (Bill Johnson) in Dallas. Went in for a consult, never saw the doctor. Went in for Thermage followed by SmartXide. They did the thermage first (excrutiating!would never do it again). Then they moved me to another room for the DOT. The doctor literally rushed into the room, rushed through the procedure, and rushed right back out. Never said 'hello', never even introduced himself to me! I'm fairly positive he didn't even know my name. I literally felt like I'd been run through a puppy mill. I will of course reserve my judgement of his work when I see whether or not either treatment made any improvements to my wrinkles, skin damage, firmness, etc. I, too, chose him because of all of his celebity appearances; figured he must be one of the best, right? Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that his work is better than his manners. And I have absolutely no idea if I look like I should after 4 days. I have some very bright red raw places were the skin has peeled, and then still globs of black looking grainy gunk all over. Is that how I'm suppose to look? I also bled quite a bit on my pillow the evening of the procedure.
I have had three Smartxide treatments. I had about a 20-30% improvement of my acne scars the first time round and about the same incremental improvement with each subsequent treatment. I am very happy with my results. I went to two different doctors. The first one was in Chandler, Arizona and the second in the Pacific Northwest. I believe I had the most improvement with the doctor in Chandler. He did the first two treatments I did with the Smartxide about three months apart. The second doctor used different settings and I believe I did not get as much of an improvement as the prior two treatments. I did have an improvement just not as noticeable where the acne scars were concerned. I strongly believe the doctor doing the treatment is more important than the fractional laser being used. The first doctor I went to had more experience with olive toned skin and acne scars. As a result he provided me with the best result out of the two Smartxide doctors I have used. Don't give up...I tried lots of different treatments that were not effective. I was desparate but had also given up hope my skin would ever look normal. Smartxide has given me as close to normal as I could have ever hoped for and it has changed my life for the good.
I believe we used the same doctore Aa9033, and it's been 4 months since my treatment and i dont see a single bit of improvement to my mild acne scarring, NOTHING, I'm also livid and feel like he is ripping people off. I wish there were some kind of way to get money back or make his so called fabulous claims public. I feel like my skin is worse than it was before actually. I should have known when he didnt have before and after pics to show me that something was wrong. Anyway, I'm with you, PISSED and should have used the money for something more useful.
Do you still not see any improvements? I'm beginning to lose hope too. It's going on 3 months now since I had the procedure done and I see absolutely no improvement. In fact, I'm thinking the texture of my skin looks a little worse. Had it done for some acne scarring. Still have those same scars, only now I have redness on top of that as well. Doc says my skin is still healing and it takes 6-9 months for collagen remodeling to take place. I'm pretty skeptical at this point and if I could go back, I would not have done it. Was not at all worth the $$$$ and downtime.
Unfortunately, they keep telling me I would see the results in about 6 months too. Well, it's been right at a year and nothing. I even have a new scar, because my nail scratched my nose while I was sleeping a few days after the procedure while my skin was still healing and it left a scar from the scratch. I'm extremely angry with the local news shows that featured him agreeing that this procedure worked. They should have done some research before they lied to the public. I'm really sorry that the same thing happened to you, but I think the people who say they see some results are in denial.