Lower Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty- Great Success! -Golden, CO

I'm a 31 year old female and have had big puffy...

I'm a 31 year old female and have had big puffy eyelids my entire life. People were always telling me I looked tired and rundown (which is so rude anyways, who does that). I know this is all due to the big bags under my eyes, they actually created a shadow that looked like dark circles, imagine my surprise the day I figured out my dark circles were just shadows. I've wanted to do a blepharoplasty for years, and finally went for it. I'm so glad I did.

I had been looking at this website a lot before surgery I noticed there aren't a lot of reviews on here for lower only surgeries, so I opted to post a review about my experience in hopes to help anyone else out there not doing the uppers because I think just doing the lowers is a much easier surgery with far less healing issues. I don't know about you, but a lot of the reviews freaked me out a little and made me second guess if I should go through with my surgery, but after talking to the nurse about it in my pre-op appointment she helped explain that the lower only is much less invasive and not to worry. She was so right.

I went into this surgery with realistic expectations, I knew I would look like someone jumped me and hit me in the eyes with a baseball bat for a couple weeks after surgery. I think it is really important to realize that you will look crazy for a while after surgery and the results can take months to show up. We all secretly wish for overnight results but this is surgery, not botox. In my opinion, having healthy expectations going in will make or break your post-surgical experience.

Pre-op:
I highly recommend buying two of these eyemasks before your surgery, the one they give you at the doctor is okay but this one is amazing. Get two so you can always have one in the freezer:

I rounded up all the pillows I could find and created a little nest on my bed the morning of surgery. If you have a pregnancy pillow (or a friend who has one) I recommend using it to prop yourself up in bed. I had books, electronics, medications, water, etc all on the bed too, so all I had to do was get in bed once I got home from surgery.

Surgery:
My surgery was yesterday afternoon (April 8, 2013) and it went great. I was really nervous about general anesthesia, I've only ever had a c-section so I'd never gone under before. Fortunately the entire staff was amazing and the Anesthesiologist put me at ease and answered all my ridiculous panicked questions. I just remember shutting my eyes after getting the anesthesia and then waking up and the surgery being all done. The most painful thing for me was my throat from the breathing tube, it took a while to be able to swallow and speak.

Random tip:
Be sure to tell the nurse in your pre-op appointment if you have a tendency to get motion sickness and nausea easily, they gave me two different medications to prevent the post-op nausea that is so common and the Anesthesiologist also gave me something during the surgery. I live over an hour away from the surgical center up windy mountain roads and I didn't get nauseous at all.

Day after
I feel great. I've been icing on and off and taking the pain meds but I really don't feel bad at all. My eyes are swollen and a little bruised but not as bad as I was expecting. I think it looks better like this than I did before surgery!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the *new me* once the swelling and bruising goes down. I'll post updated pictures as time goes on, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask! So happy with the procedure and grateful to Dr. Steven Vath and the entire staff at the Center for Cosmetic Surgery in Golden, CO.

Day 2 post-op The swelling is definitely intense...

Day 2 post-op
The swelling is definitely intense today, but the bruising still isn't bad. I've been using topical Arnica gel and it seems to be helping. I've used topical Arnica for a couple years on bruises and it really seems to help so I figured I'd try it under my eyes. The pain has been really low so I switched to Tylenol today and retired the Percocet. The worst part of all of this, besides the swelling, is having to sleep propped up! I have not been sleeping well, but I'm hoping I'll get use to it.

Day 3 post-op Oh boy! I decided to take Percocet...

Day 3 post-op
Oh boy! I decided to take Percocet last night to help me sleep and I woke up feeling wrong and hungover. Maybe I didn't eat enough last night, but today I've felt pretty woozy and weak all day. The bruising is a little worse and the swelling is the same as yesterday, but overall it doesn't seem too bad. I was trying to not take any pain meds today but have a splitting headache behind the eyes so I took some Tylenol, although it isn't working. I think I just really need a nice big latte! Who wants to deliver one? I was hoping to get outside today and take a walk, but I'm afraid I'm too weak so I'll just watch terrible daytime TV and wish for coffee deliveries. I'm still so glad I had this procedure done. I can't wait for people to tell me I look rested (instead of tired). I've heard that days 2 and 3 are the worst, so if this is as bad as it is going to get I feel truly blessed.

Day 4 post-op Swelling is down to the point where...

Day 4 post-op
Swelling is down to the point where I feel comfortable heading out into public again. I put some makeup on and feel like the bruises just look like dark circles. They feel a little heavy but otherwise I feel back to normal. It was nice to get out and back to normal life, now I just can't wait to run and lift weights again! I'll post another follow up next week after my post-op appointment. I'm always happy to answer any questions if anyone has one.

I've been slacking on an update! I went for my...

I've been slacking on an update! I went for my first post-op a couple of weeks ago and it was like a five minute chat with one of the nurses. I live 80 miles away from their office so it was sort of annoying since I wasn't having any complications, but it gave me an excuse to go to "the city". Everything was looking good- I was still swollen although it wasn't noticeable to anyone who didn't know I'd had surgery. All the bruising was gone. I'm now a month out and some days I have little eye bags and some days I don't. I think it is all diet/sleep/exercise related. I feel like I have slight dark circles under my eyes but I'm not sure if that is just my imagination or if I really do- depends on the lighting. I'm still happy with the results. I have to keep reminding myself that it takes a couple months or more before everything is really healed so anytime I start to panic because of a puffy looking eye bag or dark circle I just walk away from the mirror. It is a pretty good strategy :)

Post-op visit with the Doc

A couple weeks ago I went in for my first post-op with the Doctor.  At first he said I still had some bags and we might need to consider a second surgery (is that cost included with the first surgery? ha ha I doubt it).  But after talking for a while he thinks it is actually just swelling since some days I seem to have bags (much smaller than pre-op) and some days I don't have any.  My body has always been ridiculously sensitive and gets puffy really easily, super annoying trait.  He said he took a lot of excess fat out during the surgery so he would be pretty surprised if I needed more taken out.  Honestly I'm not sure I'd do another surgery if it turns out I could use one; the bags right now are so much less obvious and I'd hate to risk taking too much fat out and then being stuck with a skeletor look, especially as I get older.  I have small bags today as you can see in the pics.  I go in again at the end of summer for another post-op Doc visit so we shall see if the little bags that come and go finally leave forever.  Still happy to have done the surgery!

2.5 months out- feeling good

Happy to report that my little eye bags are most definitely just swelling, they are pretty much gone (but show up if I eat too much salt, drink alcohol, go to bed late, etc- they are like a nagging mother calling me out whenever I do something I shouldn't...how nice).  I don't have a picture- I'm having technology issues.  The other day I was in this freak accident where one of those giant umbrellas at an outdoor restaurant got blown right into my face from a huge burst of wind and the big pole/stand part of it whacked me in the eye before knocking my water into my lap and giving me a lovely just peed your pants look.  I was so worried it had hit my eyebag area and done something catastrophic/ruining the surgery results but fortunately it just hit me on my eyebrow and forehead so just some bruises and pain.

No one seems to notice a difference.  My friends and family who knew I did it claim they never noticed the bags before so they don't really see a change (liars).  No one has told me I look tired, which is THE BEST!  I have my big post-op in September so I'll try to get copies of the before and after pics (haven't taken the after pics yet) to post.

Final post-op visit, still have small bags

I had my final Dr. visit last week. I still have small bags, I can't tell if they are the same everyday or if they get bigger and smaller depending on the day. My Dr. said that technically I don't have bags, that the eyebag is actually flush with my cheek, but rather the trough is the problem. He mentioned that you can surgically add fat to the trough but that it is risky. I inquired a little about filler in the trough but ultimately I don't really know if I care enough to really look into any additional treatments. At the end of the day the bags are much smaller and less noticeable. I certainly still focus on them when I see a picture of myself, but I think I will always be hyper-aware of my under eye area. Down the road I might revisit trying filler in the trough but at this point I'm going to take a step back and let it ride and see how I feel. I've included a picture that I just took so you can see the smaller bag.

I am happy with the final results either way. I didn't really know what to expect or if the bags would be totally gone. I think I look a lot better, and I feel a lot better. I'm glad I did it. If the bags change at all I'll be sure to update :)

Vindication

I have a friend visiting who hasn't seen me since before the surgery and she said she can really tell the difference. Although I've said I'm happy I did the surgery I have sometimes felt like I was crazy because no one would acknowledge any difference. She has known me most my life and said she could tell and that the bags were gone. Just wanted to share because I know I'm not the only one who feels like everyone thinks your crazy for getting such a subtle surgery.

Irritated

This weekend I ran a huge running race and also camped, only to wake up to some pretty significant bags the next morning. Granted I'd just put my body through five hours of hell and then slept poorly on an uneven surface, but it was pretty heart-breaking when I woke up and felt like I had huge bags. They did sloooooowly go away over the course of the day, but since I'm so self-conscious about it I feel like I spent to much energy worrying about it. I guess this is just how it is going to be? Today everything is settling down but I'm again hyper-focused on the bag area every time I'm around a mirror. I wish I could just let it go and be content!

Is it just me?

Lower bleph ladies and gents- I'm now 6 months out and I've noticed when I spend a lot of time on the computer or reading I feel a slight strain in my lower eyelid area. Anyone else experience this? Maybe I'm imagining it.

I still have small bags, and at 6 months out I'm guessing they are here to stay. I guess technically they are not really bags, but a result of my tear trough, but they still annoy me. I'm trying to find a good pre-op pic so I can do a side by side comparison and post it here. I'm hopeful that by the time I'm a year post-op the appearance of small bags will be smaller, or I'll realize I'm nuts and that I'm just seeing things :)

Old pre-op pics, new post-op pics

Alright when I look at pictures from when I was a kid or a few years ago I can see a huge difference with how my eyes look.  Even when I see the small bags post-op they look so much better than those big ol' pre-op extra baggage bags.

I cropped the hell out of these since other people were in the original pics- hopefully this works and you can see.  The B&W pic is from when I was in probably 6th grade and isn't the best quality, but you can see those hereditary bags.  The other two are from four years ago on a very puffy day.

I just took the rest of the pictures.  Today I feel like I have no bags.  I'm not sure when, but I feel like at some point in the last few weeks the small bags went away.  I still think I get a little puffy from time to time but I'm starting to realize that maybe they are the kind of bags "normal" people have- the ones that are a result of too much salt, not enough sleep, etc.  I've been drinking a TON of water the last few weeks for a RealSelf experiment (I'll post info about that later) and I think this might be a part of why the bags seem to be totally gone.  I've ordered this eye cream I use to use that has arnica and vitamin k in it so I'm eager for it to arrive to see if it helps at all on the puffy days.  All those products made for eye bags that never worked before probably work now!

Denver Plastic Surgeon

I did extensive research on surgeons in Colorado with advanced facial surgery training and certifications. I was very impressed by this medical group (The Center for Cosmetic Surgery).

Hi Jill I just turned 50 & I am getting the lower Blepharoplasty & fat grafting in my face.ive been told by total strangers for years how tiredI look.i remember my father had heavy undereye bags i had a lot of fiinjected last summer under eyes around mouth&lips.the comments cut down to almost nothing.the dr was very $$$ but very qualified .i figured as much as the fillers cost I should just invest the money into a more permanent result.or at best longer than a year.my dr is supposed to be one of the best in no va.i live in the country about 1hr &45min from his office& I've worked really hard saving for this process so I'm hoping all goes well.oh yes after the fillers last summer the comments ceased.ill keep you all posted with my pics
Do you have an appointment booked for surgery?  I hope you write a review!  Don't you just hate the comments from people- do they not understand how rude they sound?
Jill, you look fantastic and thanks for sharing the detailed recovery process for your lower bleph. My upper bleph was only a subtle change too and unless I pointed it out, no one suspected (now wish I didn't tell so many people haha). Have read that it's good to do these procedures before it gets really bad if you're wanting it to be your little secret lol. I may need a lower bleph in the future so it was good to read a positive experience. Seems to be a rather complex procedure and the risk of eternal dry eye, chemosis or the loose eyelid gap issue has put me off for now.
Hey sfgirltoo- thanks!  Yeah it was a very subtle surgery, but I'm happy I did it and happy with the results.  I haven't had to deal with any of those risks, which is great, and I think has a lot to do with the surgeon I chose and that it was transconjunctival.  I've actually had some eye problems in the last couple years so you'd think I'd have had some complications, but fortunately it was a really easy recovery.  Good luck to you, should you decide to go through with it!
Jill, thank you for recommending the eye masks and your suggestion to buy two to keep one in the freezer! I bought two of them prior to my upper and lower bleph, which was yesterday. So comfortable and they feel so soothing! So much better than a bag of frozen peas! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HTYJLO/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wohoo, glad the masks helped :)
Read your review earlier today, you are looking fab!
You look great? Did you have the fat repositioned or fat transfer?
Thanks, Jannet.  I did not- just the removal of the bags.  Sometimes I wonder if I would have less of a visible trough had I done the transfer, but it was never offered and I honestly didn't know it was an option until after I already had the surgery.
I wasn't offered the fat transfer either but I'm not questioning it. I don't want to add any extra things for complications. I'll have to be happy that my bags will be gone. Can't you disguise trough area with makeup? my mother always complains of dark circles but she looks good with makeup. she's 83 and has no eye bags or droopy eyelids, just wrinkles, makes me mad i didn't take after her.
Ur eyes look very nice after surgery. Don't b so harsh to ur self those tiny bags r so little. Ur eyes look so pretty now (^_^)!
Thanks, Mely.  I'm so over-critical of myself.  Something I am working on for 2014!  :)
Hi your eyes look great and the last pictures show good comparison no lines under your eyes at all Happy New Year
Thanks!  Your healing is going really well, just read your updates earlier today.  :)
Great results, thanks for sharing! When you smile now how does it look? After restylane I still have puffy bags under my eyes, and my skin is still wrinkly/crepey under them as well ... both problems being much more pronounced when I smile.
They look great when I smile- they just look normal.  I do notice more fine lines than before the surgery if I look really closely in a magnifying mirror, but that just goes with the territory- get rid of the fat and your skin moves differently.  Keep in mind I didn't have many under eye wrinkles and had no crows feet before surgery.  I actually asked about getting a chemical peel at the same time but they told me not to waste my money.  There are a lot of reviews here of people who got a chemical peel under the eyes and to me it sounds like it really helps.  Hope that helps :)
Nice to have comparison photos from a few years ago to put things in perspective. You look really great, congrats. Blessings.

Thanks!  I'm glad I found those old pictures, it puts the small bags into perspective (when they show up- which is becoming less and less).  Blessings to you, too :)

I had mine 4 weeks ago and I feel much more wrinkled and the wrinkles are up and down rather than side to side. Does this problem continue or get better or even worse?

Hang in there!  Four week is still so early to tell anything.  I know it is hard because the recovery is so easy so you think your eyes will heal in a couple of weeks but in reality it really does take 6 months+.  If I were you I'd talk to your doctor about it.  Hope that helps a little.

Thanks Jill
How is your healing going?  Are you feeling better about everything or are you still unsure?
Hi Jill You got a great result their pleased for you Cheers D

Thanks!  :)

Hi Jill, I sit here 6 days in post op and you sound so like me, looking at your photos you`re condition is so smiliar to mine, I am 33 and have had them all my life. I finally took the Plunge and looking for as much info as possible, your post has been the most informative so far and I will do something similar in a couple if days.
Looking forward to reading your story :) I hope everything is going well with your recovery!