Botox for Forehead Wrinkles: Time to Deal with That Pesky Aging -Golden, CO

I had botox injected into my glabella/frown lines...

I had botox injected into my glabella/frown lines when I was 27 and loved the results. I had a really deep and permanent brow furrow and always looked mad (b*tchy resting face to the max). The results lasted over a year- but in reality I think the muscles just atrophied and learned not to be so pissy all the time.

Fast forward 6 years and I'm now 33 and not super happy about the forehead lines that are digging their way deeper and deeper. I opted to go back to the botox for some proactive treatment/deep line prevention.

After discussing my issues and goals with the nurse injector Polly, she surprised the heck out of me and said I only needed 20 units to start with (I was anticipating 30-40). She answered all my questions and at her recommendation we did 20 units in the glabella and around the forehead and temples, and then I'll go back in two weeks to possibly add 8 more units to create a slight brow lift. I appreciated her philosophy of being conservative and "topping off" later. The actual procedure was really fast and painless- no numbing cream or ice or anything.

I'll go back in a couple weeks for the potential top off.  I'd budgeted $350 for this botox experience so I'm also getting some microdermabrasion and a chemical peel to help with my melasma and general skin issues (oh aging.... so great).

Everyone was very friendly and fun, I enjoyed my visit and felt at home the whole time. I'll do daily mad face pics to show the freezing process and see how long it takes. Any questions please let me know!

24 hours

No big change, but there is a small difference.  My forehead feels a little heavy and numb but it is super subtle.  I haven't experienced any dizziness or other common side effects that I've seen other people report.  All is good in the hood!

48 hours

More changes- the middle of my forehead isn't moving too much anymore and looks really smooth.  When I do the surprised face the outer edges of my forehead move and wrinkle.  I'm hoping those outer wrinkles smooth out more over the next couple days.  My mad face is less pronounced but I can still move.

Still no side effects, which is awesome.  I don't recall experiencing any the last time either.  I feel a little guilty that I'm having such good results because I really feel for all the RealSelf users who have negative experiences.

If I think about it, my forehead almost feels a little numb- like when you go to the dentist and they apply that topical novocain (that tastes like a chemical pineapple) to your gums right before they give you the big numbing injection- sort of numb but not really.  It doesn't bother me but I find it interesting.

Thanks for sharing your daily pics. It's really interesting to see the Botox spreading. It's especially obvious (in a good way) in the forehead pics. Hope everything works out well for you. :)
So far so good! Thanks :) :) :)

72 hours

I can barely make a surprised face anymore, but I can still furrow my brow a bit.  If this is the final result I'm cool with it because I can still move my face and don't look totally frozen but the wrinkles are smoothing out.

Looking good!

I missed a day with the pics but here are today's.  If I try really hard to scrunch my face I can get it to move a bit still, but if I just try to make a normal facial expression my face barely moves.  I love this- I like that my face can move a little but not enough to make a crease in my lovely smooth skinned forehead.

If I really try to do the surprised face my outer eyebrows lift up and look hilariously weird.  I'm not sure if that will go away after I get the top off in a couple weeks.  In the meantime I need to remember to not try it in public.

Looks great! Outer (lateral) eyebrow that you are referring to is very difficult to treat, but there are some tricks. You can always go back to your injector and ask to see what they say.
Thanks!  I actually don't mind the crazy eyebrow thing because it only happens if I make a ridiculously overdone expression.  I might go back and get 8ish more units for the brow lift effect, but I'm undecided if I really want to or not.  I like my results a lot as is so I might not poke the bear :)
if you like them.. don't poke the bear! 8units for eyebrow arching (to make the eyebrow raise)? Sounds reasonable to removed the lateral lines you are experiencing with movement I would not do 8. let me know what happens!

Bye wrinkles!

So I cancelled my topping off appointment because I'm happy with how everything looks, so I figure I'll just wait until this round wears off and then reassess then.  I also cancelled my microdermabrasion and chemical peel, but only because I found out I had 4 actinic keratosis (aka pre-cancer) lesions on my face that needed to be removed/frozen off and that was more pressing to me.  I'm hoping to reschedule the micro/peel in a few weeks once everything is healed well enough to handle it!  I also had a biopsy on my arm but I'm guessing it isn't anything serious, it was just more of a let's see what the heck this is situation.

I also got some retin-A to primarily help with getting the skin cancer lesions (and bonus that it will help with all the other facial dramas like wrinkles, blackheads, cell turnover, and so on).  Looking forward to continuing my newfound attempts at holding onto youthful skin.

If you have fair skin, it is worth checking out actinic keratosis, basal cell carcinoma, and squamous cell carcinoma.  I've always been so focused on the dreaded melanoma and checking moles that I never realized I should be looking for rough, gritty patches of skin.  They are far less dangerous than melanoma, but worth knowing about.

As far as the botox, my wrinkles are gone-zo.  The lines that use to stay on my face even while at rest are gone gone gone.  I'm in love.  Now we'll just have to see how long it lasts!  I'm wondering if because I only had 20 units- will it not last as long as when I had the 28 units?  We shall see.....

Hi Jill, I just wanted to say you look great! Also, to Peanut, I have mild melasma on my forehead (lucky us!!) and mine has never gotten worse with Botox either! I'm not a doctor, but everything i have read suggests it is due to hormonal changes and is aggravated but sunlight! Xx
oh and wanted to say glad they found those spots and took care of them…scary! Also, I love that you were able to do botox with melasma…that has scared me to consider doing because some say trauma to the face can cause melasma and I would freak if I did botox and it made more patches of this crap!

6 week update (video)

6 week update

video update!

Has anyone tried Nerium? Curious if it really works. I am too afraid of needles and injections.
I've tried it but honestly no topical cream is going to do what botox does.
Awesome....love the results. Smart girl for not doing ur outter eyebrows,because that totally looks fake, overdone and just not natural. Don't let anyone convince u to do that :) Its nice to see u still have some movement, which is excellent.... Btw your eye color is just amazing :)

Botox 2 month video update

Botox 2 month video update

Two months in- is it me or do I have more movement in my face since the last video?  I hope it doesn't wear off soon, I'm having hip surgery in a month and so financially more botox isn't in the cards anytime in the next couple months- instead I get to spend it on physical therapy and hotels and what not.  The joys of getting older.

Your videos add so much more perspective than even photos can convey. Thank you very much for sharing! It really helps those of us that are contemplating procedures make a more well informed decision and have more realistic expectations.
Thanks so much!  I agree the videos help so much in showing what Botox is really like.  If you do decide to go for it I'd definitely recommend getting a conservative amount at first with the possibility of going back for more- that way you can get a feel for it without freezing your whole face and being unhappy with the results.  Quality injectors will support doing this and not try to push you into getting more units in one appointment.  Let us know if you decide to try it!
Love your videos you look great! This is a great investment in your face. I started around the same age as you and now at 44 I believe it has helped. I also think some movement is good. Good luck with your hip surgery.
Polly

Polly is a nurse injector and was great. She was very thorough and answered all my questions. The entire process was fast and painless.