Botox for Forehead Wrinkles: Time to Deal with That Pesky Aging -Golden, CO

I had botox injected into my glabella/frown lines...

I had botox injected into my glabella/frown lines when I was 27 and loved the results. I had a really deep and permanent brow furrow and always looked mad (b*tchy resting face to the max). The results lasted over a year- but in reality I think the muscles just atrophied and learned not to be so pissy all the time.

Fast forward 6 years and I'm now 33 and not super happy about the forehead lines that are digging their way deeper and deeper. I opted to go back to the botox for some proactive treatment/deep line prevention.

After discussing my issues and goals with the nurse injector Polly, she surprised the heck out of me and said I only needed 20 units to start with (I was anticipating 30-40). She answered all my questions and at her recommendation we did 20 units in the glabella and around the forehead and temples, and then I'll go back in two weeks to possibly add 8 more units to create a slight brow lift. I appreciated her philosophy of being conservative and "topping off" later. The actual procedure was really fast and painless- no numbing cream or ice or anything.

I'll go back in a couple weeks for the potential top off.  I'd budgeted $350 for this botox experience so I'm also getting some microdermabrasion and a chemical peel to help with my melasma and general skin issues (oh aging.... so great).

Everyone was very friendly and fun, I enjoyed my visit and felt at home the whole time. I'll do daily mad face pics to show the freezing process and see how long it takes. Any questions please let me know!

24 hours

No big change, but there is a small difference.  My forehead feels a little heavy and numb but it is super subtle.  I haven't experienced any dizziness or other common side effects that I've seen other people report.  All is good in the hood!

48 hours

More changes- the middle of my forehead isn't moving too much anymore and looks really smooth.  When I do the surprised face the outer edges of my forehead move and wrinkle.  I'm hoping those outer wrinkles smooth out more over the next couple days.  My mad face is less pronounced but I can still move.

Still no side effects, which is awesome.  I don't recall experiencing any the last time either.  I feel a little guilty that I'm having such good results because I really feel for all the RealSelf users who have negative experiences.

If I think about it, my forehead almost feels a little numb- like when you go to the dentist and they apply that topical novocain (that tastes like a chemical pineapple) to your gums right before they give you the big numbing injection- sort of numb but not really.  It doesn't bother me but I find it interesting.

72 hours

I can barely make a surprised face anymore, but I can still furrow my brow a bit.  If this is the final result I'm cool with it because I can still move my face and don't look totally frozen but the wrinkles are smoothing out.

Looking good!

I missed a day with the pics but here are today's.  If I try really hard to scrunch my face I can get it to move a bit still, but if I just try to make a normal facial expression my face barely moves.  I love this- I like that my face can move a little but not enough to make a crease in my lovely smooth skinned forehead.

If I really try to do the surprised face my outer eyebrows lift up and look hilariously weird.  I'm not sure if that will go away after I get the top off in a couple weeks.  In the meantime I need to remember to not try it in public.

Bye wrinkles!

So I cancelled my topping off appointment because I'm happy with how everything looks, so I figure I'll just wait until this round wears off and then reassess then.  I also cancelled my microdermabrasion and chemical peel, but only because I found out I had 4 actinic keratosis (aka pre-cancer) lesions on my face that needed to be removed/frozen off and that was more pressing to me.  I'm hoping to reschedule the micro/peel in a few weeks once everything is healed well enough to handle it!  I also had a biopsy on my arm but I'm guessing it isn't anything serious, it was just more of a let's see what the heck this is situation.

I also got some retin-A to primarily help with getting the skin cancer lesions (and bonus that it will help with all the other facial dramas like wrinkles, blackheads, cell turnover, and so on).  Looking forward to continuing my newfound attempts at holding onto youthful skin.

If you have fair skin, it is worth checking out actinic keratosis, basal cell carcinoma, and squamous cell carcinoma.  I've always been so focused on the dreaded melanoma and checking moles that I never realized I should be looking for rough, gritty patches of skin.  They are far less dangerous than melanoma, but worth knowing about.

As far as the botox, my wrinkles are gone-zo.  The lines that use to stay on my face even while at rest are gone gone gone.  I'm in love.  Now we'll just have to see how long it lasts!  I'm wondering if because I only had 20 units- will it not last as long as when I had the 28 units?  We shall see.....

6 week update (video)

6 week update

video update!

Botox 2 month video update

Botox 2 month video update

Two months in- is it me or do I have more movement in my face since the last video?  I hope it doesn't wear off soon, I'm having hip surgery in a month and so financially more botox isn't in the cards anytime in the next couple months- instead I get to spend it on physical therapy and hotels and what not.  The joys of getting older.

7 months later and not sure if I should get more?

7 month update

It has been 7 months since my botox injections and I have full movement back but the wrinkles look a lot better.  I am such a proponent of "preventative botox" aka starting botox before the deep wrinkles set in- even with full movement back the wrinkles are so much less obvious!

I have an appointment to get more in about a week but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it- I'm wondering if I should wait a little while longer and save some money in the long run.  I'll let you guys know what I decide to do but right now I'm leaning towards cancelling.

A blizzard didn't stop me from getting more- 7 months after the first round

7 months later- botox appointment

Snow storms can't stop me!  To be honest I normally would have rescheduled my appointment but I wanted to get it done before a beach trip and I had some other appointments booked too so I risked the weather and drove myself down the mountain.  I ended up getting stuck for a couple hours because the highway closed for a huge accident- fortunately I had a book with me.  But that is the wonderful world of living in a ski town- plus I really like my injector so it is worth the drive for me (and gives me an excuse to go do some other stuff and have a city day).

Last time I had 20 units and had it injected in the glabella and around the horizontal lines.  I still had movement and wrinkles near the outer ridges above my eyebrows but didn't care enough to go get more.  Since I had those injections 7 months ago my forehead muscles have atrophied a bit and I don't get the deep looking wrinkles as much after holding an expression for a long time.  I asked my injector Polly what she thought about injecting less botox in the areas I had done last time, but adding a few units to the areas that still moved.  She agreed it would work so we went for it.  I ended up with 18 units this time spread over a greater area of the forehead.  I took a video right after (attached).  I'll do daily photos again because I can't help myself!

I notice that my injection areas/forehead overall feel heavier almost instantly after the injections.  I don't think it really goes away either, you just stop noticing it.  Anyone else notice that?  I can feel it as I'm typing this (about 24 hours after).  As long as my eyebrows don't fall down I don't really mind, just find it interesting.  I did have a classic post-botox headache yesterday but it is gone now.

7 month visit- day 2

Here are the expression pics on day 2.  Don't mind the frizzy hair- just got back from skiing and had helmet hair.

Obviously I'm biased about this sort of thing because I'm the Community Manager for the botox community- but I LOVE taking daily pics after getting injected because you can see subtle changes in the pics that you wouldn't otherwise notice.

I'm going on vaycay so I will keep taking pictures but won't be updating my review until I get back.  I'll respond to any comments or questions then- adios!

7 month visit- day 11

11 days after the 7 month tune up

Okay I'm terrible- I did not commit to the daily pictures as promised.  Truth be told I was in the Caribbean on vacation and when I did think of doing it I either didn't have my phone with me or the lighting was awful.

So if you recall we did less botox overall and added two new injection spots- so less botox in the glabella and frown lines areas than last time.  The major difference I've noticed is that I have quite a bit more movement in my forehead than last time.  I like it though.  Check out the video for more about that!

Polly is a nurse injector at the Center for Cosmetic Surgery's on-site medispa Rejuvenate in Golden (where I had eyelid surgery) and was great. She was very thorough and answered all my questions. The entire process was fast and painless. The actual site is beautiful and professional. The treatment rooms are very clean and nice. All the staff have always been incredibly courteous and friendly.