Dental Implants Fail Sometimes... but Are Still Worth It - Glendale, CA

I was missing 2 upper molars and had implants done...

I was missing 2 upper molars and had implants done 7 years ago. I had 3 surgeries in total: first for bone grafting, then implants inserted, then reinserted (2 weeks after putting them in first time) as surgent felt I needed thicker ones instead.

All surgeries were under general anestesia and did not cause any considerable discomfort during or after, and no work time was lost. What general anestesia caused though was some confusion: after one of the surgeries I fell off the staircase on the same day, after the last one I fell into my pool.

All that was fine and well worth it, but 6 years afterwards one of my implants failed: it got loose and simply fell out, painlessly.

According to my doctor, bone density around this implant was not sufficient (he tested crombs of bone on the implant I brought to him).

My second implant is doing just fine. I intend to go through the routine again: I need do bone grafting surgery and then the actual implant surgery again: wearing partial is such a pain in the neck!

Doctor Devnitch of Glendale, CA

My dentist is great: I became his devoted patient 8 years ago and love him ever since, because he made a beautiful smile for me with MINIMUM invasion: he is very conservative, he is totally against veneers because they have very high failing rate (my husband did not listen, and all his veneers failed) and he would not put a crown unless it is absolutely inevitable. So my smile (front teeth) is all my own teeth, none crowns and I will be 50 this year.

Hi, I was just wondering what kind of bone grafting did you so... was it your own bone or did your dentist used a cadaver bone or cow bone or something else? I've been discussing implant with my dentist for a tooth that is infected and need to be pulled out and I'm scared about bone grafting..

My dentist said that tooth whiting paste is just toothpaste with bicarb in it !! is it true ??

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

There was just a question posted in the Q&A section by a community member who had an implant break. It might be interesting to watch over and see how the dentists respond. Click here to see that Q&A.

I think the success of dental implants depends on the people who are going to perform the procedure. That is why before undergoing in this kind of dental procedure. Make sure that the clinic has a great success history in performing dental implants.

Hi Loving,

Welcome to the Dental Implant community! Wow, you went through quite a bit, but based on your picture it was so worth it. Your teeth look amazing! I'm glad there was no discomfort. You mentioned you intend to go through the routine again, does that mean another surgery? Why would you have to go again? Please keep us updated.

Thanks so much for the review,

-Britt

Hi Britt,
As I mentioned one of my implants failed: fell out, and I am wearing a partial now for this one missing tooth. I intend to put another implant to replace the failed one.

Ahh, that makes sense.