Retin-A Works! (Even the Second Time Around) *with PICS!* - Germantown, TN

Hey guys! So, I have finally decided to write a...

Hey guys! So, I have finally decided to write a review on Retin-A-- a product that I have been using (along with other products in a regimen) since 2011. I've had acne since 6th grade, but when I turned 21, it moved from just my forehead to ALL OVER my face. Only thing clear was my nose! I tried many products including Biore, black soap, nadinola fade cream, murad, and proactiv (giving each product at least a month to see results). Nothing was working :(, so I knew I had to see a dermatologist.

I went to the derm in May 2011. She put me on 150 mg of Doryx, Sumaxin facial wash sulfur pads, and epiduo. I was on this regimen for a month before I was scheduled for my next appointment. She wasn't happy with the results (It didn't make it better or worse), so she swapped out the epiduo for Retin-A micro 0.1%-- the STRONG stuff lol and I continued to use Doryx and Sumaxin. I was on this regimen for 2.5 months before I went back to see her, and we were both happy with where things were going, so she kept me on this regimen. By December 2011, you couldn't tell me anything. I thought I was so fine lol. My skin had not been that clear since 5th grade! When I turned 23, I was kicked off my insurance and couldn't afford their young adult plan, so I stopped using all of the products once I ran out of them in February 2012. I used Simple products to wash my face with and keep the acne under control. I thought that would be cool b/c the acne was gone and the worst was over. It seemed to be working, but then by May 2012, I noticed tiny under-the-skin bumps were popping up on my forehead, and by June 2012, I was starting to break out along my jaw line. By July, '12, I was once again, a hot mess. I signed up for the young adult plan, forked up the $176 a month to pay for it >-

Continuation

Sooo.. looks like my review got cut off. Anywho, second time around, it took 15 weeks for me to see results I was happy with. The purging/breakout stage in the beginning was just as bad as it was the first time. I had pimples and pustules all over my face. After 8 months, I feel very confident in my skin and am in love with Retin-A!! It takes some time to see improvement, but be persistent and faithful to your regimen, and the results will come!

Acne Journey

Pictures of my journey with retin-a. Rough journey to deal with, but well worth it :)
Advanced Dermatology and Skincare Associates

Your skin looks amazing! May I ask how you used the other regimens?
I had really bad acne when I was younger: I read that using a sugar scrub in the shower worked very well. It did! Thirty five years later, I use Retin A for wrinkles and continue with the sugar scrub. I'm 52 but a coworker thought I was 37ish. So yes...Retin A works but so does taking care of our skin. Diet is extremely important too.
I'll have to try the sugar scrub! Thanks
So I'm on epiduo right now and it's been exactly 5 weeks with no result Except for bigger acne:( ( I have same acne face like your before your treatment ) Wondering should I keep going till week 8 to see if it really works or switch to retin A Also had acne for 7 years im african , I'm 21 I'm tired of acne
I can't tell u whether or not to stop using it. You would have to talk to your derm about that. But I was on epiduo for 4 weeks, and when I went back to my derm for follow-up, she decided it wasn't working fast enough or at all, and prescribed me the retin-a. So just ask your derm. Good luck :)
Ok... so did the retin-a make your skin peel?
Yeah in the beginning. Around the mouth and on the nose, but I don't remember it being anything that just made me freak out about it. I don't remember excessive peeling. And it probably lasted a month to two. Now that I think about it, I do remember having to apply lotion to my nose a lot bc it was getting dry and peeling but as long as I remembered to keep a moisturizer on hand to re-apply, it wasn't that bad
Ok so I wanted to share something with everyone, I was using the cream version of Tretinoin however it was making me so oily I complained about it to my Derm who switched me to the gel version still at the .25% and added Finacea cream in the morning and I have noticed a MAJOR difference in my oilyness.The oil is much more controlled and I don't look like you can fry chicken on my face anymore. I was wondering if anyone knew how to make my pores look smaller?
Oh great! Glad to hear you got that under control. I have no idea what could help shrink your pores. You ask your derm about that?
Hi I have a question, I have been doing further research on tretinoin online and have came across horrible stories about it causing damage to the skin. "Tretinoin damage" crepe dry skin, large pores, orange peel texture skin, as well as scarring and indentations bringing brought to the surface. Horrible awful stories that has impacted my decision to go ahead and use my 0.025 tretinoin cream although I really want to begin using it. Has anyone heard about this at all? Do you think that maybe these people were too sensitive to use tretinoin and/or they used too much? I certainly don't want to make my face any worse than it is and just hoping these stories are just isolated incidents. Please share your thoughts and any information that anyone is willing to share. thanks!
omgoodness I can see how that could discourage you.. I did not hear of those stories at all. I have heard where it did not work for people at all.. The 0.25 is the lowest percent I think so I would think you were placed on the right track to start with that.. As you can see with ihavmyflaws it does work very well for some, her skin is beautiful. It does go through a purging stage for some,where it will bring everything under the skin to the surface but after about two weeks of that the healing process begins. I think for me it is working well my problem is I want to see changes overnight. I've been using it for about six weeks now and no indentations.Like I said before my skin got super oily from it so I was switched to the gel form. I've learned that must of the people who wrote bad reviews did not use it for very long and I'm thinking it's because the didn't see the results they wanted right away. As we all can see from ihavmyflaws patients is a must.. I personally would try it and see how it works for me.. Plus I'm wondering what type of facial regimen were they using in conjunction with the Treninoin because it can clash with other products that's why I use all organic on my face only.. So think about it and do what you feel is best for you.
Ok, thank you for responding IamMonique2, it is scary but I'm beginning to think that maybe these poor folks either used too much tretinoin or they were really sensitive and had some sort of bad reaction. I'm just going to go for it and monitor my face very closely. I just hope I dont have that type of horrible reaction I've read about or the purging. Because now when I get pimples some of them are leaving scars! They are very light superficial marks but I was told the tretinoin would smooth those right out because they are so mild. But I've also read that retin a cant do anything for scarring no matter how superficial. :( don't really know what to believe because what works for one person may not work for you. Wish me luck!
I don't know what websites you are looking at but retin a does help with scarring. I am living proof and so is ihavmyflaws. Retin a helps with cell turnover so that helps the dead skin cells which is the scarring be diminished and new skin cells to replace the damage ones.. I have noticed several blemishes disappear and the deeper ones are now lightening up.. So yes it does help with scarring. I also have been getting facials to help with my skin tone and blemishes. GOOD LUCK!
Aww thanks IamMonique2. An good luck raenee day! I agree with what u both said. I believe u just have to HAVE to follow the directions as it is printed. In not gonna lie though. I do have some pitting on my right cheek. It's not too bad. Nobody in my family has ever said anything about it (and they will be honest lol) and it's nothing that makes me self-conscious. I feel totally confident going without makeup. I plan on posting more up-to-date pics soon.
Hi "ihavmyflaws" I too have some really mild pitting on my cheeks that does bother me quite a bit. So when my derm suggested the retin a for my hyperpigmentation she also stated that it should help smooth out the scarring as well. I'm just praying that it does the trick and helps with both issues at the same time. I also plan on documenting my journey and will be posting pics soon ;)
Yayy. I was just thinking you all should post your journey as well so ppl can see what works for one may or may not work for another. There are other ways to go about getting clear skin, and we can all share our ups and downs and what worked and didn't work for us, so good for u! About the scarring smoothing out, I have no idea. Retin-a did make my skin smoother overall but it hasn't smoothed out my pits. It makes it look more flat to the skin maybe bc everything around it is smooth and flat (no bumps) but I wouldn't think that a cream could make a pit fill in. But idk! That would be great to see when you post your journey *thumbs up*
OK. Here's the thing. I'm loving the Olay. And my dark spots are fading, so although I recommend it, I can't say whether its the very reason my dark spots are fading bc retin-a is also supposed to fade dark spots so it could be both or one or the other. But I do love. It works well with my skin. Doesn't make me oily or break out
I've been using it for six weeks now and still having some flare ups.. It's bothering me because the side that was jacked up when I went to see the derm looks a little better but now the other side of my face is jacked..SMH I'M FRUSTRATED
Yeah that's just how the process is. One big VERY very frustrating mess. At 6 weeks, I still was not happy with the progress. I just felt like it was going so slow. I think by the 8th is when I saw improvement overall, but I mean, I was still broken out (day 50 picture), but the breakouts were stopping and some of the healing was starting or had already started.
Thank you very much. You are so awesome!!!!
Aww thanks! :D
I'm wondering when you first started using your Retin A was it every night out every other night? My derm has me using it every night but just looking at you tube our reading other reviews it sounds like this should not be.Hmmmmmm I'm confused!
Yeah, I used it every night! I did experience dry skin and some peeling on my nose, but I didn't want to slow down the process so I just kept with it. Your skin gets used to it. I know some ppl say they do it every other night to get their skin used to it, but I believe if u use an actual pea size amount and don't overdo it and on a proper dosage (i.e. 0.1%), u'll be fine
Wow, I am so happy for you! Your journey truly gives me hope that I will be able to get my acne under control too! I'm a 22 yr old female and I've had enough of my acne ruining my face. Thanks for posting your doctor information as well. I used to live in Germantown, TN and I'm not too far out from that area. I've been researching dermatologists, and it seems like yours did a great job in finding the right regimen for you. Thank you again!
Oh yay! I'm so glad this post helped u :D. Yeah, I love my derm. She really did help me. U should definitely see about making an appt with them. I'll tell u, Purvisha Patel is the main doctor there, and to set an appt with her I was going to have to wait a month, so I ended up seeing a physician's assistant (my derm now) and am happy. She knows what she is talking about.