Genioplasty

VERY disappointed with genioplasty (he was...

VERY disappointed with genioplasty (he was supposed to have been an oral/maxillary specialist) which moved the chin forward. I am petite and repeatedly requested only a mild/subtle forward movement-it appears that "one size is suppose to fit all". I ended up with a deviation of chin to the left. Chin was NOT symmetrical, which required corrective surgery four months later. After nearly 8 months I have a speech lisp, numbness and a feeling "a rope constantly around my neck!" A facelift was also completed at the same time. Right sided facial/chin numbness remains. I've had people ask if I've had a stroke.

Dr. Schalit, Daytona Beach, Fl

Catgirl2, What material is your current implant? Solid Silicone? I would hate the idea to loose the effect of the implant after a while. How come is becoming smaller? What does the dr says? Carli
I've had two chin implants: First in 1987 became imbedded due to the material. 1993, had it replaced with a more "solid model." It shifted. Now I'm in my 50's and my chin seems to be becoming smaller. I'm considering a genioplasty surgery which the surgeon said is a longer lasting solution to my small chin. Feedback anyone? And to those who have had an implant. I was relatively pain free both times, numbness on the chin went a way after a 6 months. No problems with lip numbness or smile issues. That sounds scary. But remember time does resolve a lot of issues. Hope that is the case for you.
Absolutely, its a lot of money but more than that its very difficult to get the courage to do it and then recovery isn't easy. So after all of that you want it to look great. If I were to be told that a second surgery would straighten more, that would be a tough decision.
Corria, how are you feeling now? I am about 12 days post op and still feel some soreness and numbness but much less than it used to be. Did you fully recover and are you happy with the result? Did they put the implant in externally under the chin?
Hi. I just posted for Corria. I am doing better from the numbness and I am happy with the result. How about you? Carli
Carli, I just had a chin aug and a little neck lipo and am experiencing the same lip numbness as you. its only been 8 days but everything seems to look fine except i cant move my bottom lip downwards. And i am also peeling and red behind my ears. I also have yellowing of the skin. but the thing im really worried about is being able to move my lip. I talk funny and I smile funny and i hope its not permenant. How are things working out for you? Please e-mail me if you or anyone else has any information to share with me, i'd really appreciate it! Thanx :) -- Editor note: You must join RealSelf in order to be contacted privately. This requires free registration for an account. When registering you must opt-in to receiving private contacts (a check box).
Corria, Sorry I did not see this sooner. How are you feeling? My redness and pealing etc...Were all gone within a few days after I wrote, even though the same happened again. I am still not sure what caused it, but I am thinking was an allergy reaction to "something". The left side of my chin and lip is doing better, I could not feel ATT ALL in the area and I now have feeling, even though still is not fully back. Still feels "different" not natural as my right side. In my case though I have a very asymmetrical face and I think the implant is probably "too close” to a nerve ...my plastic surgeon says it should all go away - at first did not believe him as I only started having some sensation almost 2 months post op, but since that happened I feel optimistic. Hopefully you are doing well. I am very happy with the result, as it’s very settled yet a huge difference especially on my profile. Carli
My numbness seems to be getting better and better and I am pleased with my new profile. The rhinoplasty was an improvement but didn't address all of the "crookedness". Still the nose looks better than it did before. I guess I should be thankful for the improvement instead of wishing it would have been fixed even better you know? I am not thrilled with the scar that was left as a result of the doctor narrowing my nostril. But its a tradeoff, you get a new scar but you also get a more attractive profile. Glad you are feeling better. Foster
Hi Foster, I found out that as time passed I was even more pleased with the overall result than just a few days and weeks after. I am glad you are feeling better though. If I nick pick I too find something I wished was better. I guess after the financial investment too would be nice to address ALL concerns, right? Carli
I'm sure the facelift and chin implant were included in the $15,000.
$15,000?!! Geez, they are usually only supposed tocost $1500 lady. I think you got ripped off, eh?
I am 9 days post op from a Chin implant and platysmaplasty and still have numbness on left side of chin and lip. I am concerned it would be permanent. Are you recover from it? I am also not symmetrical, but then again I have never been, cant blame the dr.