Weight Loss Journey

I have been overweight most of my life. As a teen...

I have been overweight most of my life. As a teen I weighed 160 at my lowest. I had my first 2 children and by my 30's was around 280 to 290. I was having skin problems what seemed like severe psoriasis all over my body especially the back of my neck and scalp. I had to start taking Glucophage to manage my Adult onset Diabetes. I knew I had to take action to shed the weight and improve my health.

After extensive research I felt like the risk of weight loss surgery was not as high as the issues I had with my weight. I had tried everything to lose weight. I tried weight watchers, medical liquid fast, exercise programs and would lose minimal weight due to being insulin resistant. I had been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries in my early 20's.

After gastric bypass in 2004, I got down to 180 to 190. The lowest weight after bypass was 172, which was during my Law Enforcement Academy. The academy was a boot camp style setting where I was required to run 5 miles a day, participate in extensive exercise, spar and participate in obstacle courses 4 days a week.
In 2011 we moved because my husband got new orders, he is active duty Navy. I was at home full time which I was not used too. I changed my depression medication. I ballooned up to 230 in a period of 10 months. I worked with my Doctor get off the new medication and changed to a new medication.
I visited a Biatric Surgeon and had everything check with my Gastric Bypass. My Stoma was dilated, the opening that empties the stomach into the body. What that means is that my restriction was gone, I felt hungry all the time because my stomach would empty out quickly after eating. I decided to do band over bypass to allow restriction again.

I decided to incorporate jogging into my daily life. It took almost a year to make a habit and I hated every day. Now I can’t imagine my life without it. I had band over bypass in June 2013. I got back down to 180-195.
I had an apron and a lot of loose skin. I wanted to be 160 to 170 before any plastic surgery, but realistically I have plateaued at 180 to 195. I decided to start my plastics in hopes it would allow me to move pass my plateau and enjoy exercise and life in general better.

I had a Corset abdomaplasty and Arm Lift on June 26, 2014. Insurance paid for my panniculectomy and I paid the balance for the Corset abdomiplasty and Arm Lift. PS gave me 3 choices between an extended Tummy Tuck, Fluer De Lis and Corset abdomiplasty. I choose the corset because of the amount of skin from the weight loss. It was also the most expensive. After insurance is applied for the paniculectomy…. I still paid 4000.00 for the arm lift after a discount. The abdomiplasty portion of surgery was 6222.50, Corset fee 3277.50. Total out of pocket for my surgery 13,500.00. This was a sacrifice for my family and we had to finance the entire portion.

I wanted to document my journey to help others in their journey. There is not a lot of information or postings on the Corset technique. I hope this helps others. Also I need some support as I go through this phase of changes.

Pictures

I am sharing these pictures because I want to help others in making decisions and go through the difficult processes. I am not shy and I am a open person. I hope these pictures help anyone through their journey. I had Corset Abdomiplasty and Arm Lift June 26 2014. I will post pictures Thursday which will be one week Post OP.
Thanks for sharing, I hope your healing well!
Welcome and thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. Congratulations on your weight loss, that's a huge achievement and something you should be very proud of!

Looking forward to reading your updates! :-)
Thank you Kristy!!

Corset TT- 6 Days Post OP - July 2,2014

I am very swollen, I am concerned about not seeing a hourglass torso, which is an advantage to the corset technique. Very sore. Meds control pain well.

Corset TT- 12 days post OP - July 8, 2014

Still swollen, I survived a fall in kitchen with just a few staples lost. It was a miracle, my front falls practiced in my law enforcement field saved me. Muscle memory made me fall in plank position and my legs were suspended on the kitchen drawer someone left open that I tripped over. My tummy never hit the floor. Only my for arms, I had turned my face due to my training being engrained in my mind anytime I felt a front falling sensation. I also had arm lift, so that would have been ugly. Thank you God for protecting me!!

I do see less swelling and more of a hourglass shape, feeling guarded excitement. I hop I have a lot of swelling left. My abdomen protruding has had me worried.
Wow You have had so much success. How have you been doing since July 8, 2014, your last entry? Wanda VA
Wow your weight loss was amazing. So glad you were able to have some of that hanging skin removed. I had a breast reduction Oct. 2012, went from DDD to a C cup. I also had a tummy tuck March of 2013. I'm now going to have the gastric sleeve put in as soon as I can jump thru all the hoops and get it scheduled. I'm hoping the boobs don't get too flat from weight loss and that my TT will still do the trick after I lose 75-80# which is my goal. So happy you are doing so well and seeing the results of making this decision.
Thanks for sharing. I'm excited to see your progress. Out of all the profiles I have viewed I believe my body shape is most similar to yours. My tummy tuck is coming up on Thursday....excited but nervous. I hope you are doing well
Kissimmee Bariatric Surgeon

1. Gastric Bypass- Celebration Health- Dr. KIETH KIM -Excellent - Insurance cov. Partial- Out of Pocket $3000.00 2. Band over Bypass- Dr. Webb- Excellent - Insurance Covered Most - Out of Pocket $25.00 3. Corset Abdominoplasty and Arm Lift - Dr. Timothy Fee - Still Assessing- Insurance covered panniculectomy only. Out of Pocket 13,500.00. Excellent Bedside Manner, Just love his honesty and his personality.