Would Like Advice

This post is alittle different. I am a 26 year old...

This post is alittle different. I am a 26 year old mom of 2 boys, with diabets, I have been going through the steps to have the surgey done. I started out at 286 doing this atkins diet i have gone down to 266, i have been on the diet for 2-3 weeks now(trying to be a good girl). I have been reviewing and looking up every thing about this, talked with the doctors,and yesturday i was told by a co-worker of my dads that her 2 daughtor-inlaws had it done and had complation with blood stuff 7 yrs later. I am schuled to have it one in 24 days. I wasnt scared until yesturday. Anyone have any advice?

Dr. Lemuir

i havent had the surgey yet but this doctor did a great job on my mom. when he reconstructed her stomch last sept 2009

SO glad you're doing the medication for the stomach bacteria! We fear what we don't know. You'll be surprised how easy it is. You'll get sleepy and then you'll wake up and it will be done. You'll be groggy and if anything hurts at all just tell them and they will give you drugs to fix it. It's a breeze compared to when they cut you open (like me) and stayed in the hospital for 5 days. I want you to think about that 8 month baby girl and how you'd like to be around to raise her. You're 21 and you'll be able to live almost your entire life without being obese! I was obese for 30 years and had the surgery at 47. You are so lucky!! You are at the perfect place at the perfect time. It's OK to be scared. Please ask me anything. You can find me on my blog at bariatricgirl.com also. When you get through this you'll tell yourself you had nothing to fear. The hardest part will be right after surgery when you are wanting to eat for a coping mechanism and you can't. I was so hyped that I didn't really notice it. Pretty soon the weight falls off like magic but you MUST change your lifestyle. Let's just deal with one thing at a time though. Worrying into the next couple of years only takes precious energy from what you are trying to do right now and that's the most important time.
Hi there Yvonne McCarthy. I was reading your responses to Kimba. The last info you wrote to her was that I she had any questions, to feel free to ask you. I live in Miami, FL and I'm 21 years old and a mother of an 8 month baby girl. I have recently reached the last few stages of my surgery to be. I'm currently taking medication for the H-ployri stomach bacteria. Once, I'm done with the 15 day treatment, retest and if it's clear, the only thing I have left to do is get chest x-rays and an EKG from my PCP and then I'm scheduled for surgery. I'm super scared. I've never had any type of surgery and I'm just scared. Scared of it all. Something so drastic.
Oh Kimba, I cannot imagine how disappointed you were....you actually found out after you were on the table? I think my heart would have been broken in two if I had to go through that. I really hope you can get another chance. Obviously someone was looking out for you because they didn't go through it when it wasn't safe. If there's anything I can do for you to help you with being scared I can share many great stories. Thanks for your comment.
hugs, Y
thank you for your post. i wasnt able to have the surgery do to complacations on the table. This is still something i would like to do but i am scared i have decided to wait awhile before trying it again. thanks again
Hi Kimba! Congrats on your upcoming surgery. One of the really important things to do after surgery is to take your vitamins and watch your lab tests. Sometimes there are post-ops that think they feel fine and don't take the things they need to. I am almost ten years out and I've never had any problems. I do have some friends that decided they didn't need to take their supplements and that's when they got in trouble. I personally know hundreds of people that have had this surgery and most of the ones that get into trouble with their labs are the ones that don't do the things they are supposed to do. Follow your surgeon's guidelines and I think you'll be amazed when you don't have to deal with the diabetes any more! Best of luck and please feel free to ask me any questions if I can be of help.
Many blessings, Yvonne
Thank you for your post. I have also talked with my diebates educator today as wel and i feel better about going through with it.

Hi Kimba,

Thanks for posting your query. After a gastric bypass some people do experience slight anemia as well as other nutritional deficiencies. This is because the operation inhibits the absorption of vitamins and minerals.

Not everyone experiences these issues so it's not guaranteed that you will be affected by them.

I have posted your query to our doctor QA forum, where one of our specialist bariatric surgeons will be able to help you. You can get to your question from this link: http://www.realself.com/question/blood-related-problems-after-gastric-bypass-surgery

You may also find some useful information in our recent weight loss blog: http://www.realself.com/blog/weight-loss-surgery-myths

Good luck with your surgery!