Sprinolactone for Hormonal Acne -Fullerton, CA

It seems like I have battled acne since I was 16...

It seems like I have battled acne since I was 16 years old, now I am 26, so a good ten years now (confined to my jaw and chin).I remember breaking out pretty bad as a freshman in High school but then I went on birth control and while I was on it, I don't really remember having any acne. Maybe a small zit here and there. Nothing crazy though. For some un known reason I went of birth control when I started college. I don't remember how long after that, but I would break out pretty bad. ONLY on my chin/jaw area. I dealt with it for a year or so and went back to birth control. But a different brand since my insurance had changed. I was still breaking out! Not nearly has bad but I was still getting cysts in that area. I would go to derms and they would put me on topicals and oral antibiotics. The topicals made my sensitive and fair skin worse! So I would stop those. Antibiotics would definitely help, but once I stopped, the acne came right back!
About 6 months ago, I woke up with 3 HUGE cysts on my chin. I ran out to get antibiotics from my derm again. At this point, I feel as though antibiotics still help a bit but are not nearly as effective. I got to a point where I knew it was my hormones. I had blood work done, sure enough, slightly elevated testosterone. My derm told me to see an endocrinologist. I felt that was a bit excessive. So I went to see another derm (dr. Sires office in Fullerton ca). I derm I spoke to said sprinolactone would be a good fit for me. I just started my first dose last night. I am only on 25mg at twice a day. However, I still am on antibiotics as I am worried about an initial breakout from the sprino and truthfully I am scared to go off the antibiotics. I will keep updating !

Update

So it's been almost a week since I started the sprinolactone.
I was feeling great (except being a little more thirsty) until today. I have a slight dull headache which I think is due to the fact that I didn't drink enough water today. After work I had to run errands and after about an hour I could tell I was getting a little dehydrated. A little more tired than usual today too.
I have no yet experienced an initial breakout out and I'm praying that I don't. My face is starting to actually look a little better so I really don't want it to get worse. I have noticed a slight decrease in the amount of blackheads on my nose. Not sure if its due to the sprinolactone or the new cleanser I purchased. The cleanser doesn't have any exfoliating agents in it, so maybe its is due to the sprino.
I also feel slightly less oily.

Almost 2 week update

So I've been feeling pretty good from the sprionolactone. A little bit tired. I might ask my doctor if I can take both 25mg at night. Even if I get 8 or 9 hours, I'm still tired. And I have been drinking a tonnnnn of water.
I did have a pretty deep pimple surface but I've seen it lurking on my skin for a few weeks now. So I don't think it was brought on by the sprionolactone. I popped it Friday night and now I'm still left with nasty reddness around the area. Lucky me. I just want my skin to go back to normal. :-(

One month update

So besides feeling a little less oily, haven't noticed much of a difference. Went to my derm today and she up'ed my dosage to 100mg.

7 weeks in

So I've been in 100mg for about 3 weeks now. Haven't noticed anything :-(. I'm fact, last week I had a huge cyst surface that is still on my face. And I think I'm getting one on my forehead too. Which is weird because I never breakout on my forehead. Can anyone tell me how long it took to see results. I'm getting very impatient.
Fullerton Dermatologist

Bactrim DS.. The ONLY thing that made an immediate (7 days) improvement in my skin... With no side effects. If doe it all, from Accutane (4 times!!!) to topicals, cyclines you name it. I have suffered for 17 years and Bactrim DS was the only thing that gave me huge improvement, less inflammation etc. best wishes!!
ok - so an update for everyone - I am pleased to say that the giant swollen lumpy area under my chin caused by rosacea and the acne vulgaris is reduced by 90% This is a big break thru for me! I cannot help but think that the bacteria in the skin (demodex mites?) was killed off by the metronidazole and has been further contained by the 1% metrogel (not the cream but the gel ointment) I also think that my immune system to combat this problem has been strengthened by both bio-identical progesterone, dhea, and these vitamins: Lysine, L-Taurine, Vit C, A, E, B6, B12, Magnesium, and Biosil. I took pics with my phone (before and after) and as soon as I transfer them to my ipad I will load them up so you can all see the remarkable difference. I just hope this is not temporary and that I can continue to keep the ugly bumpy skin and acne rosacea away. As I said, my Mom had this all over her entire face and I do not want to end up like that. One thing the doctors might tell you when using the metrogel is to use it all over your face - I only spot treat - I place it only on my chin where it needs to go, and I might do three nights in a row and then skip a night ( I figure that the bacteria or whatever it is won't get used to the product this way). Also, unlike stevamycinin, the metrogel is not sun-sensitive and won't cause your skin to wrinkle like crepe paper if you step outside.
ummm how do I post photos under this particular posting so u can all see what I'm talking about ?
meant to say google demodex mites not metrodex
hi Megan - first off - I'm in my mid-30's - not even close to menopause - I'm a national-level athlete in women's powerlifting and also a competitive bodybuilder - I started taking bioidentical hormones to assist in creating more progesterone in my body - I do not take Birth control (which essentially does the same thing but is chemical not natural) Most women after age 30 find a dramatic decrease in certain hormones, especially progesterone, probably the most important hormone in a women's body - also dhea produced by both men and women in the adrenals starts to become less and less as we age - cortisol production takes over instead of dhea (which is responsible for creating estrogen, estradiol, progesterone in women and testosterone in men) It is a very essential hormone to our bodies. I only started taking bioidenticals after a friend recommend them - they seem to help boost my energy but I've also noticed my face is clearing up because my immunity system is getting better.

Very helpful info. I am on birth control, but would definitely welcome a more natural option. I'll have to check it out!

oh you should - not sure your age but I think anyone over 35 should think bioidenticals - many celebs now use them (the reason why so e if them don't look there age) we will see what happens after I finish the last of the metronidazole pills - hopefully the horrible rosacea and cystic acne doesn't come back with a vengeance - I'm trying the 1% metrogel topical ointment now too, hoping the antibiotic effect will keep working after the pills wear off - I'm also trying to get in to see a dermatologist too so I can ask about demodex mites and maybe get tested - there has got to be something that can stop this awful lumpy skin from spreading - I'm afraid I might end up like my poor Mom who had this over her entire face - I'm even wondering if plastic surgery might be if help. Anyway - I will keep u posted on whether the hormones and metronidazole has worked - thanks :)

Yes, please do - I'll be hoping for a great outcome for you!

Btw, I'm 36, so just squeaked into the over 35 category, eek!! ;)

I have both hormonal and acne rosacea - (runs in the family - grandfather - mother - me) actually I discovered something yesterday by googling - demodex - these are apparently little mites that are on our skin - gross, I know - apparently many people who have been exhausted or weakened immune systems due to a bad illness or even age are a hot-bed for these mites to get out of hand and increase their activity - they literally destroy skin cells and increase pores etc - I couldn't believe it but it makes sense - I also believe that bacteria under the dermis level of our skin makes getting rid of acne rosacea even more difficult than regular acne - I'm trying to get my MD to refer me to a dermatologist (why are they so difficult to get in to see? it's like they're the prima-donnas of the medical world or something!) anyway I think the combination of the progesterone (helps build immunity) and the anti-bacterial effect of the metronidazole (which I was on for something else in a pill form) have helped reduce the raised plaques in my skin and have gotten rid of the cystic acne and reduced the redness - amazing! I don't know what will happen once the metronidazole is completely out of my system but my MD gave me metrogel 1% to try (it's topical ointment) btw the pills were super strength and I cannot have alcohol while taking them - at least metrogel I can enjoy a glass of wine - whew - but google metrodex mites and see what it says - I'm taking multi-vites line Lysine, vitamins C,E,A and dhea, Antioxidants to boost my immune system and hopefully keep the bacteria and spreading of the rosacea and acne at bay.
Baby face: do you have hormonal acne? Or acne rosacea.?
I'm on bioidentical hormones and it seems to help with the hormonal cystic acne and the plaque rosacea - I also started taking metronidazole which is a highly effective bacteria killer - it comes in topical to pill form - it has made a dramatic improvement on my face. - for me spironolactane only works for a short period of time - initially for a week or two and then my acne/rosacea seems to counter its usage and I have to stop - however the combo of bioidentical progesterone and metronidazole seems to really work.

I'm not very familiar with bioidentical hormones. Are these the same kind that women take to help with menopause symptoms? Are they prescribed to you or do you get them over-the-counter?

check out BioTeMedical.com or BHRTvideos.com

Will do - thanks!! :)

So my derm says that any birth control should help with acne???? But what will clear me is the sprionolactone since it completely blocks excess androgens
Have you all tried the regime on acne.org? I have found that really works for me. You must be diligent though.
Topical products don't work for hormonal acne unfortunately. I wish it was that easy :-(
Really? Guess I'm screwed then. Do you gain weight from hormonal treatments? My hormonal imbalance made me gain weight and I'm worried about gaining more
Topical products help to control it but it doesn't work for cysts. I've never done hormone therapy. My issue is only slightly elevated testosterone.
Megan p: I also got that at my derms office

Ah, bummer. Well, I'll have to check if my derm has it. :)

Check! I know it's pretty popular/common at derm offices to carry it.
What is the cleanser that helped with your blackheads ?
I'm using the benev crystal cleanser.