Post Co2 Laser Rx Resulting in Oily Skin with Acne - Texas

Due to hypopigmentation from a previous CO2 laser...

Due to hypopigmentation from a previous CO2 laser (4 years ago at age 42) around my eyes, fullface resurfacing was done 11 days ago.  The third day after the procedure was the worst  during recovery with major swelling, crusting and painfull cleaning.  The morning of the fourth day I began seeing a marked improvement which is continuing.

Eleven days out now,  I continue to have some itching,  reddness and slight swelling so my skin is still healing.  I believe every doctor will agree that the most significant part of the procedure is the at-home cleaning.  I found cleaning with hospital grade gauze sponges was the best at removing crusting and dead skin which is both necessary and painful (along with antibiotics).

Infection is the enemy so sterile cleaning is imperative every 2-4 hours.  At nine days post procedure I resumed all normal activities and see huge improvement on the hypopigmentaion and all lines, wrinkles and scars which will only get better over the next 12 months.

Do I recommend this treatment?  It depends how unhappy you are with your skin, how much discomfort you are willing to endure and how much down time you can afford (2 weeks).  This procedure is not for the faint of heart, however, the major discomfort is short lived for a major pay off.

Updated on Sep 14, 2009
Very painful procedure (for about 5 days) with great results. This procedure was done to correct skin discoloration and it was successful. However, I am currently experiencing oily, acne skin which I never had before the procedure. I am wondering if this is part of the healing process and if it will resolve with time.

After CO2 laser resurfacing 6 months ago, I am now experiencing very oily skin with acne which I never had before the procedure. Is this normal recovery? Is there anything I can do to resolve these problems?

I completely trusted his expertise.

Thanks for the good tips, I'm having this procedure done this Friday. Where did you find the gauze you used? I noticed the drugstore only has a limited selection, which I practically bought out, but wasn't sure if you recommended a different kind?
Don't fall for the no downtime non ablative... CO2 ablative is the most effective,safest,resurfacing if you need extreme results from scarring or wrinkle this is it... It's been around for 20 years with statistics so you can deterime the risk/reward for you... The most common problem is a lightning of the area treated easily disguised by makeup or self tanner... Where the big problem with the non-ablative newer prcedures fraxel ipl ect is Hyper-pigmentation.fat loss and acne like indented scarring... Very hard to repair or correct or disguise.. The long term effects are not know... Take the downtime and go with something that has been around for a long time with statistics.... 2 weeks and a few months of pink is nothing compared to a lifetime... Good luck
Great advice about keeping things sterile at home... Doctors need to take the time to warn patients about this.. So they don't share linens or towels with other family members... Unless thay have been washed on sanitary or with bleach..Our laundry may look and smell clean but the germs are still there... I was surprised too.. It's important to use paper towels or gauze Now I only use white towels and was in hot water
Glad you found my experience helpful. I can not emphasize enough the need for sterile cleaning on a regular basis for the first week. I cleaned with sterile hospital gauze sponges every 2-3 hours. And dried my face with sterile softer gauze never using household linens. This was followed by a thick layer of Aquaphor. Yes, it's painful and yes, it's necessary to prevent infection. You will look like a glowing stop sign for a good week. Get past day 3 and you'll be fine.