56 Yro Tired of What I See in the Mirror - Frederick, MD

Hello to everyone. I think I'm finally ready to do...

Hello to everyone. I think I'm finally ready to do this. People say that I look young for my age, and I thought so too until about 2 years ago. I lost 20 pounds, and now when I look at my neck, all I see is crepey saggy old lady skin, and jowls making me look sad. I went to one surgeon, who said I was a good candidate for mini face lift/neck lift and brow lift. The second surgeon was more interested in doing the MACS lift, but said he would not do a brow lift. Now I'm off to a third, who has his own "LA Lift" procedure. It's all a bit overwhelming. I only want my neck and lower face lifted, extra neck skin and jowls gone. But the surgeons all have different ideas. Anyone who wants to share their MACS, please do. I'm concerned that there won't be enough done with the neck, which is my main concern.

these photos were from last year, I'm trying to find some more recent ones but I avoid the camera when I can

Third consultation

So yesterday I met with the third PS's coordinator. Brittany was great, very detailed, went over my application info and medical history. This ps is board certified and has been practicing a procedure he coined the "LA Lift", which stands for Local Anesthetic for 10 years now. She described a MACS style lift, with purse-string sutures. The incision is a short scar, going in front of the ear. The procedure is done in office under oral sedation. But the best thing I heard is that this ps only does facial surgery. . The other two claimed to be able to do everything on your body, any procedure you can name, they would do it. I am looking for a specialist, and I think I found one. She showed me about 10 before and after photos, some 2-3 months after, some just 3-4 weeks. She scars are almost non-existent, and the sutures look like fine sewing. I will be doing a consultation with the ps next Friday.

But what about 'oral sedation' and 'in office procedure'? Most everything I read steers people away from this. I don't know what to think. I am not thrilled with general anesthesia, but oral sedation doesn't sound very appealing either. We discussed at length the types of sedation and pain medication. Brittany said the oral med is like Valium, and the local is Lydocaine. Paid med varies, but I explained that Demerol does not work for me, Percoset make me sick, she said they would make sure that we tested pain medication in advance so there would be no problems.

Hmm... What to do, what to do...

Third consultation

I met with the surgeon on Friday. He was by far the most informative dr, explained everything very well. Even drew the procedure on a model head so I could see exactly what he would do. He performs a SMAS short scar, and it sounds very similar to the Biltmore lift done in Ashville NC. Seriously, what he described is almost identical. Maybe these two PS studied together *lol*. Anyway, this PS does all his procedures under local, said 90% of patients have no issues, only a few were bothered by being 'awake' during the surgery.

Now for my decision: I do not want the SMAS or MACS. I only want the neck lift. My face is holding up pretty well. As all three surgeons have said, I have great cheekbones and facial structure. That being said, I don't feel I would benefit from a lot of work on my mid face. So how about just getting rid of that droopy skin? I would be happy with that. I'm 56, I expect to get older and look older, it's just the bands and skin on my neck.

I am holding out until I can find a PS who will do what I want, and not sell me on brow lift/bleph/SMAS and all that stuff. I want it to be like the GotJunk commercial...just point at what you want gone and they take it away.

We'll see ;)

Best Of Luck finding a Great ps :)
The jawline is a demarcation between the face and neck. If you have jowls then the face itself (not the neck) is causing that and a face lift alone can correct it. It is rare to have someone with neck laxity, part of which comes from the "melting" face, who would look spectacular with only a neck lift. I'm sure you can find some PS who'll do it but the result will be "less than" and the cost savings minimal. Why not try botox for a couple of yrs til you feel you need more attention to the face. A great doc who truly seems to understand botox is Dr Rodrigues in Baltimore. Don't know if consults are free but he may have some insight as to what botox can do for the bands.
Hi Grace - can you tell me who would be a good PS in Baltimore to go to for some fat injections and a lower and upper eye lift correction? I have been contemplating going out of state because there results I have seen on the web sites of PS in Baltimore do not look great to me. I had an eye lift by Dr. Choo and I am not happy with the results. I feel he gave me the "pinched look" I was dreading.
Thanks grace60. I asked about Botox, there really isn't much that will help with the neck. My neck laxity comes from weight loss, not 'melting face'. Other than the little bit of jowls, (which disappears when I smile), I see little benefit to having a ton of work done on my midface.
You shouldn't have any work on the midface. It's a lower facelift that takes the slack of the neck and allows it to move up as well as back. It's a rare person who can simply have it pulled straight back. The SMAS is a connected sheath of tissue that is on the lower face extending down just above where the shoulder and neck come together. Take a look at an image of the SMAS and I think you'll see why most docs do both instead of just the neck.
Bunn...Really don't know that area well for good docs. Just know that Rodriguez is pretty well studied on the use of botox in marionette lines (depressor muscle) and neck bands.
I had a string lift done and saw NO results! Surgeon suggested a re-tighten, still no effects!
Hi tsk60, I also considered the thread lift and decided against it. No good reviews.
Why didn't the third PS meet with you? Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable meeting the PS's coordinator - I'd want to meet the surgeon face-to-face and discuss the options and ask questions. It wouldn't hurt consulting with a few more surgeons before making this decision.
Hi NoCalGal, the first meeting was free, the second one was with the surgeon, and I paid $50 for the consultation. And I really liked him, but again, he suggested the SMAS with the neck lift.
Im going to be following along i might b moving to that area in the near future. Will b needing some good surgeon. You look very young. But yes u can look your best with neck surgery. Im so excited for you.
I have read that the lower life done by thread method is not long lasting. My neck is not sagging in a major way yet, but I feel a little bit of skin now when I look down. No wrinkles, just loose skin. There are 2 great doctors in Baltimore and on the best doctor list.
Hi - I live in Baltimore and am looking for a good plastic surgeon who can correct my eye lift. Can you tell me if you have had any other work done and if so, were you happy with the doctor. Not sure if the name is allowed to be written here on this site.
Hi Bunntooth, I have not had any surgery yet, and I don't know anyone who has. The first PS I consulted with does a lot of corrections from other surgeon's mistakes (or so he says). Don't know what to say about him except he's been in practice in Frederick for like 30 years. Good luck to you!
You definitely do look quite youthful! The neck is always our weakest link as we age, darn it. I'm glad you're consulting with several doctors. You want to make sure you get your main concern dealt with. Please keep us posted on your journey.
Hi Angie, I'm off to the third for a paid consultation today. He is the facial plastic surgeon, so I'm interested to hear what he thinks. I'm sure I will need both the neck and mid-face lift because there is too much loose skin on my neck.