Panniculectomy 2013 After Gastric Bypass in 2010 - LA

History-- Had a Gastric Bypass in Oct 2010 and...

History-- Had a Gastric Bypass in Oct 2010 and lost weight from 276# down to 157#. I was offered to have Panniculectomy in Oct 2011 but decided against it due to my Major Hypothyroidism and getting it under control and stable. Also I was so thin facial wise that I felt unattractive. So, I decided to put a few pounds back on. So over the next 22 months I gained a few pounds. Now I weight from 165-170# and I like the way I look. After stabilizing my weight for 18 months I decided to pursue the Panniculectomy. I saw my primary provider (PA) on Aug 2, 2013 and he gave me a referral to see the surgeon. On Aug 6, 2013 I seen the surgeon for the first time and he said I was a candidate for a Panniculectomy even with having a prior Abdominalplasty in 2002 at the weight of 220#. I never dreamed at that time I would have the opportunity to have a gastric bypass in the future. So 8 years later I am presented with the opportunity to have gastric bypass due to my health issues: hypertension, hypothyroidism, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), Sleep Apnea, Chronic joint pain, (CHF) Congestive Heart Failure, Depression, and hypercholesteremia. My highest weight was 276# in Oct 2008. And in May 2010 I weighed in at 267# when I was offered the gastric bypass. After extensive research, nutritional education, and a lot of prayer, I decided to pursue the Gastric Bypass and so glad I did and wish I would have done it earlier in life, but was unable to insurance wise, as well as finance wise. I am blessed to be married to a Retire Chief Warrant Officer 2 and have Tricare Prime health insurance.

10 DAY Post-Op after Pinniculectomy

Well I seem to be doing really good. I still have two JP Drains which is still draining quite a bit but I'm healing. The only concerns I have at this time is my feet and legs are staying swollen a lot and I'm drinking water like crazy. I drink at least 6 bottles of 16.9 oz each daily and I have really had to start being aware of my water in take and count my bottles. I'm about 4.5# up on the scale from what I was pre-op weight but I know I still have a lot of edema in my abdominal area, feet and legs. I wish all the extra swelling would go away. My incision looks good and healing well. Some of the incision looks a little uneven but I feel like time will help them settle down and blend more with my other skin tone colors. I go back to the doctor on Tuesday to have my JP Drains removed and I'm looking forward to it in a lot of ways but I'm also scared of possible swelling with the drain being gone. I will just have to wait and see the !!!

2 week follow up after Panniculectomy

Went to my 2 week follow up after Panniculectomy and the two JP Drains were removed. I took two Percocets as directed by physician, 45 mins prior to my appointment. It was not bad at all, a burning sensation when they were removed but only for a very few seconds. Feeling pretty good and loving my new look. I will have to take some pictures.

Before my procedure Photo

2 weeks today after Surgery Panniculectomy

I'm feeling great today. Two JP Drains removed yesterday and I'm up and moving. Took 2 week follow up pics to see the progress...I'm really happy with my results. I'm now 2 lbs less than I was when I had surgery and I still have a lot of swelling in my abdominal area so can't wait to see the final results.

11 weeks post op pics

I am down to my goal weight 163 lbs, I actually weighted 162 # this morning. These are my 11 weeks post op pictures after having all my extra skin removed.
C Malave, MD

Excellent Surgeon. You can tell he loves what he does for a living. Being a military Surgeon. Very concerned about patient well being and the fact of the patient being happy with the procedure. Great Bedside Manner. Follow up care is excellent as well as his nurse is so helpful and takes well care of patient. OR Staff was excellent and made sure I was comfortable and my concerns were addressed.

Thanks for the update, you look great and sound like you're doing really well!

You look so much smaller, I am sure that feels great. I still need to lose some more weight but am working on it. I still love that pannus being gone. I think you are the first panni I saw that didn't have a new bb put in. I know I as well as most of the others had to pay extra out of pocket to get it. I guess I wonder how if feels to you. Not having a bb now. You still look great. I know I won't be wearing a bikini anyway so I wonder why it matters. With me I guess I had to pay because I didn't know how it would be to not have it.

Welcome and thanks so much for sharing your experince with us. Congratulations on your weight loss and subsequent surgeries, you've obviously worked very hard!

How did you find your recovery from this surgery? Was there much pain and downtime?

Well I'm 10 days post-op and the pain this time is nothing like the pain I had with my first Tummy Tuck in 2002. I had my one week check-up with the Doctor and he said I was going great. I will have my 2 week check up on Tuesday. My two Jackson Pratt (JP) Drains will be remove then if all goes as planned. I will go back to work on the next Monday, restriction of NO lifting, No pulling, No moving anything over 5#. So I will be returning to work a total of 18 days after my surgery. (13 work days off)

Thanks for the updates! Your post-op photo looks good, even though it's only 1 day after surgery. I'm sure with time all of the swelling will go down and you'll look fabulous! Patience is hard, but it will have all been worth it once you're healed!

Good luck with your follow-up, let us know how it goes!