Clear the Air on Pain Expectations. - Fort Lauderdale, FL

Yesterday I was truly fortunate to have a full...

Yesterday I was truly fortunate to have a full face and neck Ultherapy session. I'm a 45 year old man beginning to experience a laxity in the skin on my face and neck. Prior to going in for the procedure - I found RealSelf in search of others reviews on the procedure. I have to be honest and admit that the comments about needing pain meds really made me think twice. I was terrified to feel the first pulse...thinking for sure that I would need to be peeled from the ceiling.

I went into this with a tremendous trust in my dermatologist...which is why - although I read these pain comments - I continued on with wanting the treatment.

I had a topical numbing cream applied to my face one hour prior to the procedure. Guess what? It absolutely had me thinking the machine was not working properly. I expected to feel such intense pain...and didn't. As the procedure went on...and the intensity of numbness began to lessen...yes...I did feel minimal discomfort on a few of the pulses. MINIMAL...and nothing that would require pain meds. I only write this because I certainly don't want others to be turned off to getting the procedure because of unfair descriptions of what to expect. I do realize people have various thresholds for pain - but not for a second did I think that what I was feeling would be unbearable... considering the ultimate prize. Ultherapy is amazing - and I am so very excited to experience the anticipated results over the next couple of months.

Is it possible that men feel less pain than women? Also, could the results be tied in with the individual that administers the procedure?

Wow. I had the Ultherapy in May with pain medication and found it extremely painful. I am a dermatologist looking to buy the machine and will not due to the pain I experienced and the only slight improvement in my submental area. I had topical numbing and demerol.

I'm glad that your experience was virtually pain free. My feeling is that posters don't write unfair descriptions, they report their own experience. Each individual experiences this differently. The thing that does seem to make a difference is the experience of the person operating the machine.
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Dr. Richardson is rare among physicians. He genuinely exudes compassion for the needs of his patients. His entire office team follows his lead...and as a patient you feel cared for from beginning to end.