Do Not Use a Numbing Spray - Florida

I have had IPL several times. I looked online at...

I have had IPL several times. I looked online at videos and read several articles, and people always talked about how they had to have damage in order to get results. I had some on my face, and honestly, I did not see much in the way of results. I had some reduction in redness, but no sloughing of brown spots, etc. I had my chest done and I was able to tolerate a higher level of pain. I did notice some immediate results in my chest area. Because I wanted to see quicker improvements I decided to get a numbing cream and apply it myself before going this last time. After having the procedure I started to experience intense itching. I had a rash breakout on my chest and below my breasts. I think the mixture of numbing spray, gel and cream that was applied after caused an allergic reaction. The next day my chest broke out in a rash. I do not know what the end result of all of this will be..I am just glad it is not my face, but I do want to warn people to not apply the numbing cream. If you cannot tolerate the pain, the heat level is too high.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Sorry..I wanted to update that I used a numbing...

Sorry..I wanted to update that I used a numbing spray, not cream. It contained lidocaine. Sorry if there was confusion.

Thanks for posting an update about it being the spray.

I'm glad to hear you are doing better, and will look forward to hearing how you are tomorrow. :)

Thanks Megan, it is getting better. Today it has cleared up quite a bit and it looks like I might actually get pretty good results. I think it could have been bad though. I really took a big risk. I am not sure if the reaction was because of the numbing spray, gel, ipl and then after cream combo or just because when I put on the numbing spray I was able to tolerate a higher level of ipl that led to the breakout. Either way, I just want people to be aware of the reaction that can occur. I will take a pic later today or tomorrow and upload to give you an idea of results to date.

I'm sorry to hear you had a rash breakout. Thank you so much for letting us know that you think it was from using the numbing cream. How are things looking and feeling now?

I wanted to update 2 weeks later. The breakout is...

I wanted to update 2 weeks later. The breakout is gone and my skin is smoother, but my spots are still there and my skin is still discolored from sundamage. I also still have broken capillaries in the chest area. This is my second IPL treatment on the chest. The first was very mild as I did not use numbing cream. I had no breakout and very mild results. As you can see I had a major reaction with this one and the results were a little more dramatic, but I am not sure if they are enough to justify the reaction. I suppose I will have to wait and see since IPL is supposed to take up to six weeks to really make a difference.

Its so good to hear things are continuing to improve for you. I'll be very curious to hear what kind of changes you see as things continue to heal up. Are you able to keep sunblock on the area now?

It was not the technicians fault that I had this reaction. She warned me about numbing the area first.