Eyelid Drooping After Upper Bleph / Brow Lift

I had upper eyelid blepharoplasty and a brow lift...

I had upper eyelid blepharoplasty and a brow lift on both eyes about a week ago. Now the upper lid on one eye is hanging down around my pupil when I look straight. When I look up the eyelids both go up as normal. When I close my eyes, both eyelids close all the way.

I had this surgery because the skin hanging down in one eye was causing me pain. The doctor suggested that both eyes should be done as well as a brow lift.

Updated on Dec 6, 2009
I had an Upper Blepharoplasty and Brow Lift on both eyes with Botox preceding the surgery. This was done because my eyelid was causing eye irritation.

Updated on Dec 6, 2009

I had an upper bleph and brow lift on both eyes over two weeks ago. My doctor also injected Botox into the outer corners of my eyes, the area above my brow, and the area between my brows a few days before the surgery.

Eleven days ago my right eye started to droop down around my pupil and has not recovered since. It is very difficult for me to keep that eyelid open. I believe that my levator muscle or its controlling nerves are either damaged, severed, or paralyzed.

How long should I wait before having surgery to correct this? Does this situation ever correct itself on its own? Could it be due to Botox?

Should the correction be done by a plastic surgeon or an ophthalmologist? If by an ophthalmologist, who is responsible for paying for this?

Thanks.

The hang down started about 5 days after surgery. Is the drooping normal for one week after surgery?

Thank you, I went to an Opthemologist ,to have my upper eyelid done, because of my vision, so we decided to move the excess skin as well.. he is a well known Dr...but I will have a second opinion.. thank you all.
Don't keep removing skin from the lid. A brow lift will probably do the trick. But, if you remove too much eyelid a brow lift will never be possible because your eye won't fully shut. Go to an eye/face specialist only. I've had bad experiences with the general p.s. when it comes to eyes. Be sure the doctor releases the muscle between the eyebrows and does an adequate job undermining the forehead or the brow will droop again and you will be at square one. Done properly the brow lift will lift the skin off of the eyelid. It may have been all you needed in the first place. Best wishes to you.
I am not sure and wonder why they keep drooping even after all of that surgery ? I would like to hear a professional opinion ..could it be a medical condition that is causing this to happen to you ? I'm sorry doll ....be careful before having another surgery ..maybe another opinion ? Kat
I had an upper eyelid lift done in may of last year, in October of last year, the right one drooped back down again.. i had the right eye lifted again now 6 months later, both of my eyelids are drooping again.Can I have the eyelid lift done over again or is it to risky seeing that they removed so much skin already? Please help me I am very disappointed....
The professional eye surgeons realize that the scar tissue from an earlier blepharoplasty makes a revision difficult. They don't want the liability. Keep looking. I found a great one in Oklahoma.
I am looking for a great doctor to repair some upper ptosis of my right eyelid. I can't find one that will do the repair from a previous blepharoplasty done in Nov 2007.
Does any one know a great plastic surgeon experienced in the eye area or an occuplastic surgeon that does this repair? Would greatly appreciate a recommendation.
I had eyelid repair done two days ago and my ps cut the levator muscle accidently so my upper lid would not stay elevated. I saw him yesterday and he sutured in his office, but my eye only opens half way now. This is depressing. I got this done as part of a face life and wonder if a ps is qualified for this type of repair. Sad in Oklahoma....
"My plastic surgeon said that this was not expected and that if it continues I should have an ophthalmologist look at it." Wow ...kinda sounds like the surgeon is 'passing the buck' ? I would think he would be responsible for fixing this and absorb the costs to do so ? If you seek another surgeon to repair this , he is certainly not going to do it for free ...not fair to you of course but understandable. I think the initial surgeon should fix it , don't you ? Maybe you should wait a bit for the following reason.... I had botox injected a couple of months ago and while I was so happy with the initial result , it almost feels like it has fallen into my upper lids ..not sure if this is possible but lately have noticed that my lids appear swollen and droopy . I am not sure if the botox can 'shift' into other areas but if so , it may have done so in your case as well. Please keep us updated on your recovery ...I am so sorry that this has happened for you ...Kat :)