Scar Revision, Large Templar Scalp Scar - Finland

Hello. I had 10-12 years (dont remember exactly)...

Hello.

I had 10-12 years (dont remember exactly) ago surgery for my birthmarks which were located on my templar scalp. Birthmarks were big and the surgery left me large scar which dimensions were 2,5cm x 7cm. Photo attached to this review is after first scar revision which was rather unsuccesfull(?); it only decreased the size of the scar about 1 cm in width and also the wound tension arched the scar backwards a little bit since the original scar was straight. I dont mind this new "arrow" kinda look since it is actually better than the old scar, which was straight and had sort of uneven borders. Im sorry but i dont have a good picture of the original larger scar.

This review is not about certain doctor since i live in scandinavia so my doctor wont be listed here anyways. This review is more about the operation itself and the methods of my scar revision.

FIrst scar revision;
It was done with W-plasty and 2 levels of sutures. After the outer sutures were removed, it slowly began to spread since the wound tension was pretty hard becouse my scalp is pretty tight becouse of my age. After maybe 6months to a year of the first revision, my scar had widened to its size that can be seen in the photo.

Second scar revision(what this review is about);
It was done with deeper incision with 4 levels of sutures. Deepest suture was new Stratafix PDS suture which is good to evenly distribute tension and to support the wound. Also it has longer absorbtion period. I also had another Stratafix on the second layer. The revision was cut under local anaesthetic(sedative) and i was in-and-out from the clinic in 2,5 hours.

I will keep updating this from time to time.

2 days after surgery

My scalp was also extensively undermined behind the scar in the second surgery.

The wound and the undermined section is slightly sore and wound also feels pretty tight when i crinkle my forehead. I had some blood in the bandage which was around my head for 24h after surgery, other than that i haven't had any leaking anywhere. Shower one time a day. I'm trying to best of my ability to avoid any stress to the wound site to support the scarring process.

This photo is day after the surgery, line of sutures can be seen under the hair even though my hair is pretty long.
Thank you for posting your pictures.  I think this is looking really good after the last procedure.  I bet that is tight feeling.  How long will the sutures remain in?
Hello. Yes it feels quite tight, but it does not feels as tight as after the first revision i must say. The outermost suture will be there for 14 days, so it will be removed in 29.8. All 3 of the inner layers of the sutures will remain there and they will dissolve by itself after some time (months). The goal of using strong dissolving suture material (stratafix pds) in subcutaneous layer is to support the wound and try to stretch skin before the scar spreads. Thank you for the comment :)
Oh goodness...

1 week after surgery

Not much changed in terms of cosmetic appearance, some scurf have formed in the line of incision. Pain subsided about 2 days ago, and feeling of tightness has also decreased. Chewing food doesn't feel as tightness anymore and also i am comfortable in all positions in bed. Still 1 time a shower a day and a gentle drying. I also have tried to eat vitamin-c rich foods to support the healing process(some sites say it helps), don't know really if there is any difference, but since it can't hurt why not give it a go. :)

2 weeks after sugery (suture removal)

No big news, some hair loss can be seen around the wound and that should be temporary. Outer suture was taken off today, i still have 3 layers of them inside my scalp to secure the wound. Can't go shower today and i can soon get a haircut done (was about time :D). Scab in the wound is very dry and it is about to fall off. Probably next time i shower it will come down. Other than that, past week there hasn't been much going on; sutures started to itch a little about 3 days ago which is a sign that they should be removed, no pain, no bleeding, no swelling. I didn't even know they were there. :)

I'll keep updating this once a week for a month or two, after that i come here once a month to give an update.
Please update some picture fo your scar.
I had a burn hypertrophic scar on the side of my face. The PS did a w-revision. I am six days out and now the incision looks like a terrific improvement. She used a two layer incision so I hope it does not pull and enlarge. I was told not to turn my head to look over the shoulder or any movement that would put tension on the scar area for six weeks. U New revision does loo much improved
KupiCare