5 Weeks Post-Op

My surgery was 12/13. I was so nervous beforehand,...

My surgery was 12/13. I was so nervous beforehand, mostly about the anesthesia and recovery. My recovery has been great. I feel so much better than before the surgery. I am a very happy customer. My surgeon was awesome.

Oh, I went from a DD or G on my petite frame to hopefully a B cup. I was always a bit large-busted. I ended up even larger after weaning each of my 2 children. I also had so significant asymmetry, shoulder pain, and neck pain. The grooves in my shoulders were very uncomfortable and had become a little raw from irritation. The surgeon agreed that my breast were too large for my body. My breast tissue is also very dense, making them feel very heavy.

I'm active person and work out and do Zumba at the gym. I always wore 2 sports bras to help bind me to keep my breast from bouncing all over the place. It affected me not only physically, but emotionally, too. My husband wasn't too thrilled with my decision initially because he likes larger breasts. I finally told him to think about how it would feel if he was carrying around close to a half-pound of testicles between his legs. I think he's going to be happy once I'm completely healed.

I am really looking forward to being able to buy a bra off of a regular store rack. I'm also looking forward to wearing cute tops and sundresses that I never felt comfortable wearing previously. Oh, and the swimsuit, I am so looking forward to wearing that without feeling so self-conscious. I just can't thank God (and my doctor) enough.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I had my post-op visit yesterday (12/26) and the...

I had my post-op visit yesterday (12/26) and the surgeon was pleased with my recovery. I don't have the boxy shape that he warned about. He removed the steri-strips but said the sutures will dissolve on their own. I can feel some of the ends of the sutures sticking through my skin. I'm still a little itchy but nowhere near what it was before the steri-strips were removed. My left side is a bit bigger but the surgeon thinks it might be because I may still have more swelling on that side. I certainly hope that's the case.
I pulled out all my old bras to donate and just for kicks, I though I would try a couple of them on. I can actually fit into them, still, although when I look in the mirror, I can see that I now have smaller breasts. Of course, doing that sort of made me paranoid that I may still end up large. I hope not. I was a G cup 3 years ago before I started working out. I went down just a little after losing a little bit of weight but I was still spilling out of my bras. By the time of surgery, I was wearing a DD and I'm not even sure if I was wearing the right size. I was hoping to be reduced to no bigger than a high B.

PS about the bra size: I've read that the swelling causes the cup to look fuller. Also, we probably squeezed ourselves into a way-too-small cup pre-surgery!
luvmy2kids. You look great, and you don't have a gut to deal with. Mine is awful, but I have plans to walk and exercise to get rid of it! I am 6 weeks po and I can just now THINK about exercise. I hear of people exercising at 4 weeks; I just was not able. I think I'm a slow healer, but I'm OLD!
Razorback, thanks for the compliment. I actually do have a gut, I was just sucking it in. I had a lot of setbacks last year that greatly decreased my gym time but I'm determined this new year that I will conquer and get the added weight back off. The doctor released me to return to the gym as long as I keep it low impact for a few more weeks. The first thing I did was go to my beloved Zumba class. It was difficult to keep it low impact but I did it. That was 2 weeks ago. Just this past week, I've been gradually increasing my intensity level but I do slow down if I feel any discomfort. Oh, and it's been nice to wear just 1 sports bra. Funny story, a week ago Sunday, one of the ladies in my Zumba class commented that I lost weight. I chuckled and said that yes, I have. Then I let her in on my secret that I literally did lose weight on top because of breast reduction but in the meantime, I gained on the bottom. She got a good laugh.

I saw the PS today to have some sutures removed...

I saw the PS today to have some sutures removed that were poking through the skin. I'm still having a bit more discomfort on the left side. The doctor asked me today if I posted my post-op pictures online, LOL. I told him yes and that I was glad to find this website. I also told him that I gave me a great review. He deserves it because he really was great. Great bedside manner, great at explaining things, etc. I can't say enough good about him and I will definitely be a return customer should the need arise for other conditions. He was pleased with how my scars are looking already. He didn't feel that I need to do use anything to heal up the scars. He just strongly recommended that I use sunscreen if I ever decide to do tanning on that area. I think he meant the tanning bed because there is no way in heck that I'm going to be tanning topless somewhere.
I have a question for those who run. How long after surgery did you wait before running again? I'm already back at the gym doing low impact Zumba. I was able to increase the intensity this week but I kept the jumping stuff to a very minimum. Thursday will be 5 weeks for me. I'm anxious to get back into full swing with my fitness routine.
By the way, I did remove my pictures. I didn't intend to leave them up for an extended time but I just wanted to share along with this kind and supportive group. I'm glad I found this site because it really helped ease my mind about some things. I think I shared previously how this was my 3rd attempt to get my insurance to cover the surgery. I really think this new doctor advocated better for me than the previous doctor. I'll be forever grateful for him because he has helped to change my life. I feel so much more confident. My comfort level is greatly improved, too. No more neck or shoulder pain. And no more feeling self-conscious because of the large breasts. I'm looking forward to wearing my swimsuit without wearing a shirt over it.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Updated on 15 Jan 2013: I saw the PS today to...

Updated on 15 Jan 2013:

I just noticed that I said I gave ME a great review. It should have read that I gave HIM a great review. Sorry about that. I guess I was feeling a little narcissistic.
Shoot, how do I delete duplicate post on here? I tried to edit but I can't figure out how to do that on this site.

Six Months Post Op and Life is SO Much Better

I went for my 6-month post-op. Everything went very well and the doctor was very pleased with how everything looked. He asked if I was okay with the size and I told him that even though I was hoping to be smaller, I was very pleased with the end result. He then took a look and palpated around my left breast which is the one that I was having pain in until recently. He then pointed out that I had a slight hollowing effect. Has anybody heard of that. When he pointed it out to me, I could definitely see it. He explained that if he made me even smaller, the hollowing out would definitely have been noticeable. I told the doctor how much I appreciate him and how he changed my life. I feel better not only physically but emotionally, too. He said that's what it's all about, helping women and changing their lives for the better.
I'm sad that he is moving on to another opportunity because the company that owns the practice is closing that location because it's not profitable enough. The office just opened less than a year ago from another location.

Illinois Plastic Surgeon

I was referred to him by my insurance, Tricare. This was my 3rd attempt to get approval. Same practice but the first 2 times were with a different doctor. I have nothing but good to say about this doctor. He put me at ease and didn't make me feel like a freak. I don't think I'll ever be able to thank him enough.