I'm a Nervous Oldie but Goodie - Fall River, MA

Hello ladies, I think that I am the oldest and...

Hello ladies, I think that I am the oldest and heaviest poster that I have seen in this group since I have been reading reviews! I'm 63', 5'4" and over 200 pounds. I have not had surgery since having my tonsils out at seven years old, so I am very anxious about the surgery and pain to follow. I had a full cardiac work up this summer so I m good to go, but don't know how I will react to anesthesia. I am scheduled to have the procedure at a surgi-center, so I will be in and out the same day. Have any of you done this on an outpatient basis? Any moral support would be greatly appreciated.

Second Thoughts

Hi ladies, I guess it is normal, but I am having second thoughts about the whole thing. It seems as if the surgery is all I think about. I don't know that if at my age it's worth the pain and worry. I suppose that even a short time of feeling more comfortable is worth it. I worry about the pain because I don't usually take anything stronger than Tylenol. How long was it before most of you could drive? I am invited to a wedding 12 days after the surgery, will I be ok to go? Thanks for your support.

Ten Days Out

Hi ladies, I had my pre-op appointment and had many of my questions addressed. The intake nurse was very kind and assured me that many women in their sixties go there for BR, so I didn't feel so old! I am still very nervous but trust that all will go well. Positive thinking goes a long way! (I hope)

Getting real!

I am a few days away from surgery (9/30) and will be glad to get to it, because it seems as if the BR is always on my mind. I have a wonderful hubby and supportive friends and family, so I know that my recovery will go smoothly in that respect. Any last minute advice from you veterans out there? Thanks.

Yikes!

Well, tomorrow is B-Day! If you are the praying sort, please lift one up for me at about 7:30 am on Monday. I'll check in when it's finished. Thanks for all your support.

Done and done!

It was B-Day for me. I arrived at the Surgi-Center at 6:45 am and was home by 12:45pm. I have no pain (Percoset) and no nausea (patch behind ear). I actually feel very good after taking a long nap. I will see my surgeon tomorrow morning and am praying for good healing. The whole experience was a whole lot better than I expected. I am happy that it is behind me so I'm not thinking about it 24/7. Be encouraged, everone!

Done and done

Hi everyone. I want to report that I have 0 pain and 0 nausea. I think that the seasick patch behind my ear is just what the doctor ordered. I had my post-op visit yesterday and I have inverted nipples and dog ears. Normal? My did not seem concerned and said that all was well. I have another appt. next Wednesdy. All in all this experience has proven to be easier than I suspected. Good luck to all of you who are waiting.

Not very pretty

Hi there everyone. I had the surgery on Monday and I have a few questions. The "dog ears" at the bottom look misshapen and flat, plus my nipples are inverted. I am doing everything right, so wonder if any of you have been nervous about the early views of your breasts. I saw my PS the first day after surgery and will see him in a week. He seemed to think that all looked well. Please share your experiences. Thanks.

Ugh!

Hi there, I still am having mixed feelings about how I look. Right now it looks as if I have no nipples at all! The breasts are pretty darn ugly. I know it's early and I want to believe that things will look better as time goes by. I will see my surgeon again in four days and will really pick his brain. My recovery has been easy. Not much pain or anything else. Need to stay positive.

Help!!!

It is day 10 of post op and my left breast started leaking a pinkish fluid (no odor). I saw my PS yesterday and all was well but called him tonight when this happened. He told me to get in the shower and let it drain out. My problem is that I am not sure if I should put the surgi bra back on or continue to let it drain. Plus, I have a family wedding tomorrow night and am at a loss of what to do. Feeling blue.

Happy to hear the girls are fluffing. Since you have tissue under the arms I would address that issue with your PS just incase it does not correct by its self. I could tell I had a dogear and mentioned it at every visit. My PS corrected it after the 6month check up.
Thanks for your reply. I will be seeing him in about two weeks. My PS has been talking about dog ears on my abdominoplasty for about the 3rd visit. Also there's a sort of poof between my breasts. He has said these will be corrected in his office. Thanks again.
Good luck to you on Monday. Keep us posted as you recover.
I am looking forward to having the surgery behind me. Thanks for your good wishes. I'll let you know how I make out.
My PS surgeon said a lot of ladies in their 60's have this surgery. Mine is outpatient at a hospital due to my insurance coverage. It sounds like most of these procedures are outpatient.
Thank you for the encouragement. I was pleased that the intake nurse at the Surgi-Center said the same thing. I am hoping for a good (and quick) day on Monday.
Don't give up.....every time I have those thoughts my body reminds me of the pain I have......so I regroup my thoughts and think.....I will do this.
You're right, of course you are. Just nervous.
Thanks for your kind comments.
You will do great. I am 60 and having mine done in October.
When you are older there are all sorts of other questions to answer with this surgery! I am hoping for a good outcome and will lead the way for you!
Hello. I am 55 and had mine done 3 weeks ago. Please feel to read my review if you want to see what it was like for me. I applaud you for doing this! It is never too late to feel good about yourself. Keep us posted on your journey if you can.
Thanks for the good wishes. How was your recovery and are you pleased with your results?
I cut myself off back there. Please do not hesitate to ask questions. This is a great site and you can pm any of us. Ask your ps and make a list of your questions. It is so easy to forget what you wanted to ask when you see him n the office.
Thank you do much for your moral support. Being older adds a whole other aspect to this surgery. I am encouraged by your positive results and I wish you well. How long was it until you could drive?
I am 63 and I am 5'6" and I now weigh 185. I had my br this past janurary. I was the oldest br patient my ps ever did. He said I was the oldest and I had the most dense breast tissue than even a forty year old. He told me he had done over 5000 breast reductions also. I too was done.as an out patient and I had general anesthesia. I had no nausea or vomiting and only a moderate amount of discomfort. I had a little over 4 pounds of breast tissue removed. I am so happy with my results. I am a 36 c now and I was a 38 dd or ddd before. I had upper back and shoulder pain. If it had to do this again I would a million times over. It is undoubtedly the best thing I have ever done.for myself my whole life. Please do not regret your decision to have this done. Yes it is a big procedure and you should not take it lightly but you will be so full of joy. I truly do not know why I waited so long, I guess I just needed to reach my breaking point. I am now going to weight watchers and I have lost 11 pounds. When I had my surgery I weighed 202. It is so hard to lose weight and I think I am a food addict. I wish you the best. Pleas d
I am 64 and am on week 5 after having a reduction from a 36DDD to what the doc said would be a full C cup. However, I do not think there is enough tissue to make more than a B cup. There's still some tissue in front of the armpits but it certainly won't make me more than a B cup. This recovery has not been pleasant especially since I had a tummy tuck at the same time. But I can not accept these tiny boobs on my 5/9", 155 lb frame. Has anyone had a similar experience. Thanks to all for your brave and honest comments. Deb in Atlanta.
what doctor did your sx? did your insurance pay for it?
Your girls will fluff up somewhat. You are still in the early stages of recovery. I thought I the same thing until I was able to go shopping and had to by 36D/38C bras. You will look back on the experience and thank yourself for having both surgeries at the same time.The recovery is harder, but so worth it. The thought that got me thru was Once and Done. One surgery, one recovery and I had a better body. I had a ETTw/lipo and BR/BL in 2008.
who did your sx
I'm sorry that your recovery has been uncomfortable and I hope that you will feel better with each passing day. Take care.
You are so kind. The scars don't itch so much now as I'm going into week 5. Best of luck with your surgery.
Beachgirl1, if I did not reply to you 21 days ago, I just want to make sure you know how much I appreciated your response. I'm already a little "fluffed" up and still have tissue under my arms that I assume will work its way 'round. Thank you again. Deb in Atlanta